PDA

View Full Version : 1200 bucks, for a kay????

Justin Burrows
Apr-08-2009, 3:23pm
Check this out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1931-1932-Kay-Acoustic-Archtop-Mandolin-Excellent_W0QQitemZ380110701730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item380110701730&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Am I missing something, such as a rare model, solid silver truss rod, the favorite instrument of some bygone musician, that would make this kay worth this much?

Just up the page on the "kay mandolin" search there's one that looks mighty similar for $250.

Are these fancier (don't know the term, just that they have the points instead of a-style) kays better built/sound better than the other, cheaper kays?

David Newton
Apr-08-2009, 4:02pm
Well it's about the nicest Kay that I've ever seen, it is worth it if you really want it, but he's taking offers.

The 30's date the owner has given it is about the earliest Kay branded instrument I've ever heard of, but I'm not up on them too much.

That section of ebay has a few Strad-o-lins, ripe for the picking!

Booie
Apr-08-2009, 4:28pm
Tuners don't look too 1931'ish. But wow. five-ply binding, double binding on the f-holes, block inlays in the neck, inlayed finger rest,---I have never seen a Kay like this. Presentation Model? Made for the World's Fair? Wonder what the story is on this one?
I left my $1,200 in my other coat, so I will have to pass...

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-08-2009, 4:29pm
I've kind of always wanted one of those Kay two-pointers, but not enough to pay $1200 for one. ;)

(Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320356743474) is a similar one, perhaps 20 years newer, with a less ornate headstock, and with a starting price of $250.)

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-08-2009, 5:06pm
I'd only be interested in a matching pair and he only has one...

MikeEdgerton
Apr-08-2009, 5:09pm
In the first place it isn't from the 30's, in the second place it isn't even solid woods, Kay touted their laminated tops and backs, and the third thing I'll mention is that it won't get a single bid unless there exists someone with more money than brains.

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-08-2009, 5:15pm
Now I think I would pay $1200 for one of these Kay-inspired mandolins from James Curtis...

Jim Broyles
Apr-08-2009, 6:10pm
In the first place it isn't from the 30's, in the second place it isn't even solid woods, Kay touted their laminated tops and backs, and the third thing I'll mention is that it won't get a single bid unless there exists someone with more money than brains.

But it's in
Rare, Superb Vintage Condition thru-out!!!!
How do you like those superb, rare vintage crumbled tuners?
About what year is it from, Mike?

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-08-2009, 6:14pm
But it's in

Take a cross-section of the plywood and date it from the fossils...:whistling:

MikeEdgerton
Apr-08-2009, 7:50pm
But it's in

The tuners are the dead giveaway. They date it from the late 40's into the 50's. Here (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Tuners/NewButton/newbutton.html)'s an article that Frank Ford has on replacing Kluson tuner buttons that shrink and crumble on www.frets.com. This shrinkage is a known issue tied to a known period of time that is after the the 30's. At the bottom of this (http://www.doctorvintage.com/tuners/50s_klusons.html) page there is documentation that shows Kluson tuner shrinkage late into the 50's.

allenhopkins
Apr-08-2009, 9:14pm
...it won't get a single bid unless there exists someone with more money than brains.

Not only does such a person exist now, but a new one is born every minute!

Justin Burrows
Apr-08-2009, 11:36pm
Not only does such a person exist now, but a new one is born every minute!

Oh be reasonable, in todays economy, it's probably every two minutes! :whistling:

Joel Spaulding
Apr-09-2009, 12:09am
Quote:
and the third thing I'll mention is that it won't get a single bid unless there exists someone with more money than brains.

Well Mike, I would then expect at least 535 bids from the good folks who "work" about 200 miles south of your locale. :)

MikeEdgerton
Apr-09-2009, 7:57am
...Well Mike, I would then expect at least 535 bids from the good folks who "work" about 200 miles south of your locale..

Nobody tell the Air Force it's available :disbelief:

Steve Ostrander
Apr-09-2009, 8:32am
Was it once owned by Elvis?

lenf12
Apr-09-2009, 3:53pm
I'm with Mike on this one. In fact, I owned one just like it way back in the early 70's. It looks fancy for a Kay mandolin but it's definitely impaired by the laminated top and back. Mine sounded like "####" only quieter. I didn't keep it for long and think I got my $50 or $60 investment back when I sold it.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Jim Garber
Apr-09-2009, 4:26pm
That is the top of the line Kay tho no presentation model. I can pinpoint the model if i can find my catalog from the 50s. Price is silly and he will not get that much. Maybe half... it is in good shape except for the tuner buttons.

MikeEdgerton
Apr-09-2009, 7:26pm
If he was real nice to me I'd sell him another set of those tuners.

jeff mercer
Apr-09-2009, 8:16pm
If someone on the Cafe REALLY wants one of these, it sounds like Bernunzio have one..no photo, but the description sounds like the one being discussed..sunburst, binding, block inlays, tortiose shell p/guard etc.

They're asking $495, which is still more than I'd personally pay, but it's helluva lot more realistic than what this fella thinks he might get !

Maybe Allen could check it out for us ?

Robert Beene
Apr-09-2009, 8:30pm
That's a nice Kay fer shure. I have a two point Silvertone likely made by Kay, and since it isn't quite as nice, I'd be willin to part with it for half the price of the Kay! ;)

MikeEdgerton
Apr-09-2009, 8:36pm
...I have a two point Silvertone likely made by Kay...

You can rest assured it was made by Kay.

allenhopkins
Apr-10-2009, 3:03pm
Maybe Allen could check it out for us ?

John Bernunzio's having an Eastman rep show up tomorrow (Saturday, Apr. 11) with a "truckload" of shopworns, scratch-&-dent, factory seconds etc. for bargain prices (he says). Planning to check the sale out, so if it's not too much of a zoo (and I remember), I could check out the Kay.

allenhopkins
Apr-13-2009, 10:13am
Later update: went to Bernunzio's, but he said the Kay was still being worked on, not ready to be tested. Sorry 'bout that.

barney 59
Apr-13-2009, 11:55am
I'm not all that up on Kay mandolins but I've had some really nice old Kay guitars.I have one in my "gotta restore these attic" right now but I never payed much for one. It is more likely that if any part is laminated it's the body and not the top. If it was a 1931 it would most likely say "Kay Craft" shortened to "Kay" in 1937. They made one like this from 1931 on and as a Kay from 1937 to 1942. I think it was called a K68. The early and some not so early Kays had solid spruce tops and either mahogany or maple bodys on their top of the line instruments. This is definately a top of the line Kay. It is also really in wonderful shape. I would think that this would make a really nice fat sounding blues mandolin or a collector might pick it up. Old and pristine really adds value to almost anything. It would be something you would like to see in person to really check it out--what is solid hows it play etc. before you forked over that kind of money.

barney 59
Apr-13-2009, 12:07pm
I looked at that page again and read it this time.There is a contradiction in their listing-they call it a 1931-32 but acknowledge that the "Kay" brand began in 1937.

mrmando
Apr-13-2009, 12:13pm
John Bernunzio's having an Eastman rep show up tomorrow (Saturday, Apr. 11) with a "truckload" of shopworns, scratch-&-dent, factory seconds etc. for bargain prices (he says). Planning to check the sale out, so if it's not too much of a zoo (and I remember), I could check out the Kay.
So what about all the Eastmans? Did you check any of those out? Should probably be a separate thread.

The Eastman cutaway mandocellos are cool. Lady in our orchestra has one, although it needs the string spacing redone...

allenhopkins
Apr-13-2009, 4:00pm
So what about all the Eastmans? Did you check any of those out? Should probably be a separate thread...The Eastman cutaway mandocellos are cool.

Here's (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50172) the separate thread.

Concur on the Eastman 'cellos, though mine's non-cutaway.