PDA

View Full Version : Jolie Blon

mandobob
Aug-05-2004, 3:44pm
I have only one recording of the CNA (Cajun National Anthem) and wonder if you guys could recommend an album that includes a good version to learn. I've found an ENTIRE CD of versions but that's more then I could handle.
I want to learn it to sing to my own Jolie Blon http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

ourgang
Aug-05-2004, 4:25pm
I bought a Balfa Brothers CD at Crackre Barrel with the tune Jolie Blon on it. Good tune, good CD. Dewey Balfa Rules!!!

mandocrucian
Aug-05-2004, 6:09pm
There's a notated and tabbed-out mando version of this in one of Tommy Comeaux's (played in Beausoleil) Cajun Mandolin columns.

Mandocrucian's Digest Issue #13: (http://www.btinternet.com/~john.baldry/mando/hokkanen.html) Electric Mandolin On the Cheap (converting electric guitars to mandos), <span style='color:green'>Irish Mandolin w/Mick Moloney (the polka in Ireland, "Dennis Murphy's Polka")</span>, Technique w/Evan Marshall (introduction to pull-offs), <span style='color:red'>Cajun w/Tommy Comeaux ("Jolie Blon"),</span> Jazz/swing w/John McGann (more blues), Bluegrass guest column w/Eldred Hill ("Peacock Rag"), New England Dance Tunes w/David Surette ("Mackilmoyle"), Playing For Square/Contra Dances w/Larry Edelman (First things first, "Hoosiers At Home"), Bluegrass w/John Baldry (playing on banjo tunes, "Dear Old Dixie"), sol-feg syllables, record reviews.

click on the #13 link above for catalog and contents listings of all MD back issues.

NH

mandobob
Aug-06-2004, 8:53am
Thanks guys;
Niles, I think you did the transcriptions for the Doucet Cajun Fiddle tapes I'm working with zatright?
BTW, it's Chuck Guilroy's version I'm working with, features some nice mando in the middle.

mandocrucian
Aug-06-2004, 11:15am
BTW, it's Chuck Guilroy's version I'm working with, features some nice mando in the middle.

Good, you've got that Chuck Guillory album on Arhoolie; one side of it has Michael Doucet as the band's mandolin player! which is probably as much Cajun mandolin you will ever find on any one album.

Yes, I did the book for Mike's 6-cassette (maybe CD now) Homespun audio series. Mike had asked me for idea about how to present the material and I gave him a number of suggestions (start with the skelton, simple, bowing, skeleton with doublestops, etc.) to walk someone through the thought processes and contruction of Cajun style. I know I learned a lot more about Cajun ornamentation and phrasing by doing the transcriptions! #I think it is one of the best instructional packages Homespun ever put out. #

BTW: how'd you like the printed verbal quotes which identified which versions of the tunes were notated? # That was my idea. #(I have the Dr John "New Orleans piano" audio set it is a total nightmare trying to figure out what played demonstration examples are notated.)

Niles H

mandobob
Aug-06-2004, 11:30am
Niles
First off, great job on the transcriptions. That set should be re-released as Cajun Mandolin! The set came highly recommended by someone here, and since I want to sharped my music reading skills I thought it would be perfect (and it is).
The cues are terrific; I read thru the book before even picking up my mandolin, and I had a good idea what to expect from the tapes.
PS On your site you offer teh cassettes of some of the material in the digests, does each topic indicate a different tape, or are all Cajun lessons and interviews on one?

Bob

mandocrucian
Aug-06-2004, 11:45am
On your site you offer the cassettes of some of the material in the digests, does each topic indicate a different tape, or are all Cajun lessons and interviews on one?

No, those tapes are audio companions (and extensions) of three long instructional articles in MD issues #20 (The Transposing Game), #21 (Developing Rhythmic Elasticity) and #24-25 (Backing a fiddle or other high register instrument in a duo). These were made after the articles came out because it became apparent that many of the ideas might not be easily absorbed through only the printed version without being able to actual hear the stuff put into action.

NH

There are no tapes for the instructional columns contributed by the likes of Mike Doucet and Tommy Comeaux, or Mick Moloney or the others. Sorry.

Niles H

mandobob
Aug-06-2004, 11:47am
Thanks again Niles! I just re-read the ad.

TerryA
Aug-06-2004, 6:39pm
My favorite is an instrumental by Dewey Balfa. The really
cool part is the modulation, and the phrase that leads
the tune from key of E to key of D. I found the CD at
Mulates' restaurant (somewhere along I-10 near Breaux
Bridge or Henderson, La.). CD is called 'Le Musique chez
Mulates'. I think thats French for Le Musique chez Mulates,
but I could be wrong.

TerryA