PDA

View Full Version : Neck/fingerboard height

Yonkle
Feb-07-2004, 10:29pm
When the neck is pushed into the dovetail about ready for gluing, one must adjust the angle of the neck straight up and down to the tailpiece of the body.Then the neck/fingerboard height has to be correct by sliding the neck further into the slot or pulled back out of the slot until the desired height in measured, when all is a go you glue it in....are you still with me?
Question: On my last 2 mandolins I got the neck in straight and the height is ok, however I feel that I need to raise the bridge height way up almost to the top of the threaded wheels or at least 3/4 of the way up, and I would rather have the bridge screwed down lower towards the base of the bridge....So if you follow me, my question is...Can I push the neck into the dovetail just a little futher towards the back of the mandolin to lower the entire neck and string height? If so how much "wiggle" room is there in this height?
I am not sure if I should just do the same as I did on my other 2 mandolins and let the bridge do the adjustments or if I should just push the neck in a little futher, and have a lot room left to raise the bridge, just not have to raise it as much, but I am a little scared to experiment with such a touchy measurement. Your suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks Yonkle

Chris Baird
Feb-07-2004, 10:38pm
Put a fake nut on and put on the finger board then place the bridge in its proper place on the top. #Lay a straitedge across the nut and the bridge raised to 7/8" above the top. #Take material off the heel of the dovetail until you get your ideal action as represented by the room between the fingerboard and the straitedge. #Remember to account for the height that your frets will stick up.

Yonkle
Feb-08-2004, 12:10am
Thanks Mandoplayer: that seems easy enough!