PDA

View Full Version : Graupner & Meyer What to do

musical5
Apr-04-2009, 10:12pm
Hi,

1st post here. Great board. I recently was given an 1890 Graupner & Meyer mandolin and while it's physically in good shape some moron spray painted it gold! It is a standard size but I would need to get the paint removed and than decide if I want to refinish it. Is it even worth the hassle? Cant find much around on Graupner. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Justin

Schlegel
Apr-05-2009, 1:16am
There isn't a lot of info around, but I have one too. It's the mandolin I play the most, I think it has a very well-balanced sound. G&M had a music shop in Philadelphia

I would try to take off the paint if it were mine. It's not an incredibly valuable mandolin to collectors, especially as is, so you're not losing anything, really. If you are really gentle you might be able to avoid going through the shellac underneath (if there is any left). worst case, haven't you always wanted to learn how to do a shellac french polish? ingredients are cheap!

I've only seen 2 of the graupner & meyers but they both had very, very nice brazilian rosewood bowls and very fine grained spruce tops.

If you are lucky you can find a solvent to wipe off the gold paint, the shellac will only have problems with alcohol or water.

Pics?

musical5
Apr-05-2009, 3:08pm
Wow brazillian under this #### gold paint would make me smile for sure. Assuming I had it refinished (best friends a luthier) would it be valuable? I know a refin messes value up. How much was yours, if I may ask?

Thanks
Justin

Schlegel
Apr-05-2009, 5:30pm
Mine was only 150, but only a few names in bowlbacks command money, so even a good, ready to play bowlback is usually under $300 even if quite good quality. They're not really in great demand, so your #1 criteria should be will you like it and play it after you put in the work. I think they reward the effort. The wood in quite middle class instruments of 100 years ago is often beautiful stuff that would now be very pricey, if it could be had at all.

As far as a refinish messing up value, consider that the instrument has already been "refinished".

musical5
Apr-05-2009, 5:35pm
Ok. Im a huge fan of Brazillion so guess I'll make it a player. Im a 20yr guitar player who blows at mando but I love em anyway. Time to remove the paint.

Thanks,
Justin

Gerry Cassidy
Apr-05-2009, 7:08pm
Yes, Homey. Make it a player. You'll learn to love it. Bowlbacks have their own unique, and warm tone. They make great music!

If you don't want it, I'll take it! :)

musical5
Apr-05-2009, 8:24pm
Uncle Gerry!!! Dude Im never gonna be a good mando player. Freakin ADHD!! Dont know how I even learned to play my guitar.:)