PDA

View Full Version : New member, pre-requisite question.....

elk
Apr-04-2009, 10:28am
What IS the best mandolin in the 3-400.00 category? ;)

I'm kind of serious, here's my situation.

I was loaned a mandolin by an elderly woman at our church (Epi-mm30) . On a whim I learned a few chords and did a couple songs on a Sunday. The woman and her family was happy to see her late husband's mandolin get played and the positive response was amazing.

I've now played this thing long enough to realize a couple of things; 1st I'm really enjoying learning to play the mandolin, 2nd this mandolin leaves a lot to be desired as far as playability is concerned. I've adjusted the height and done my best on the intonation, I can get 2 and some 3 finger chords to sound ok but not so much on the 4 finger chords. I'm also concerned about something happening to this mandolin- warp, split, etc. and am going to return it to the family.

My budget is limited by a couple of things-

I have a kid in college
I primarily play guitar
I lead worship in church and will use this every month or so when
we do a more traditional service and for my own enjoyment.

I'm currently in the position to spend 3-400 on and am looking at the following : Kentucky km 505, Kentucky km 172, MK A or A plus, MM M-A1 or possibily a T/C. I know good deals can be had I'm just really new to the Mando game and not sure what to look for. I have a decent selection of microphones should I ever need to 'amplify', so electric isn't necessary.

I know tastes are subjective, any insight and or experience with these instruments is appreciated.

Btw-Great sight here!

MLAR,
Elk

MikeEdgerton
Apr-04-2009, 10:42am
I'm partial to the Kentucky's in that price range. If you can stretch just a little bit more I'd look at a Kentucky 505 (http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8068). At $449.00 it's a really decent instrument.

journeybear
Apr-04-2009, 10:53am
Depending on your time frame, keep an eye on ebay. There are always decent mandolins in your price range. You have to know what you're looking for, and be a little cagey sometimes with your bidding approach. ;)

A little patience and persistence can be rewarding.

Good luck! And welcome to the Café!

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-04-2009, 11:05am
Given the list of models you are looking at new, the KM-172 offers a lot of bang for the buck. I had a KM-174, the burgundy version of the same instrument, and was very impressed with its tone and playability.

If you are open to buying used, it opens up quite a few more options for you, and too many to list in a single post. For starters, you often can get a used Mid-Missouri/Big Muddy, Gypsy's Music, or TC flat-top in this price range, as well as countless vintage instruments. You may want to peruse older similar threads such as this one for additional ideas.

If you buy new, make sure you buy it from someone who does a good setup -- such as any of the mandolincafe or its discussion board sponsors.

JEStanek
Apr-04-2009, 11:43am
Elk, Welcome to the Mandolin Café.
I also agree with Mike and Jim on liking the Kentucky's out of that list in your price range. If new, skip e-bay unless you're ready to spend another $50-100 on having a proper set up (unless you're comfortable adjusting the nut and bridge yourself and checking the frets).

Our classifieds are also a pretty good resource. You could put in a want ad for something and save 40% on a used one. How will you be amplified, if at all, at your church? The flat top instruments Jim recommended (Mid-Missouri/Big Muddy, Gypsy's Music, or TC flat-top) sound really good for traditional hymns, in my opinion.

Jamie

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-04-2009, 11:55am
BTW, there is a TC mandolin in the classifieds right now for $300 plus shipping, which seems to be a good price. (I've seen these sell used for as much as $400 - $450 in the past.)

Jill McAuley
Apr-04-2009, 11:59am
I second the vote for the Kentucky KM 505, I played one recently and was really impressed with it, great bang for the buck altogether. But going the used route shouldn't be discounted either. You'd certainly find a used Big Muddy/Mid-Mo in your price range. Also, right now in the cafe classifieds someone is selling a Weber Y2K flattop for $500 (NFI on my part), though like the KM 505 it would require you upping your budget a wee bit. If your budget is not very flexible, then new I'd say look at the Kentucky KM -172, or used, keep your eyes peeled for a Mid-Mo. Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
Jill

atetone
Apr-04-2009, 12:20pm
If new and properly setup are your criteria I would agree with Mike and be condidering the KM 505 that Dennis at The Mandolin Store has on his website. It is advertised at $449.
I would talk to him and let him know that I was just starting out and ask him his opinion on that particular mandolin for a beginner.
He might just have something else suitable also, hiding in the back room.
Sometimes he has shopworn or slight blems available at reduced prices.
He is a straight shooter and will give you the real goods.
Also,,, you know it will be properly set up and you will get great personalized customer service.
You don't get either of those if you order from a big box online store.

Chris Keth
Apr-04-2009, 12:54pm
I received a used Fullerton Gloucester from a forum member this morning. He was selling 2 of them for $200 each and I bought one. One may still be available if you would prefer to come in under your budget since it sounds like a secondary instrument for you. It is a very playable instrument and, while I have never played a vintage gibson, a weber, etc., I think it sounds very nice.

elk
Apr-04-2009, 3:01pm
Thanks for all the replies! I don't know when the opportunity may present itself again to acquire new gear, so I'm trying to glean all the info I can.

Rich Evans
Apr-04-2009, 3:34pm
I definitely second the suggestion that you check out The Mandolin Store website. There is a link on the Mandolin Cafe opening page. Dennis is a great guy to work with and will give you excellent service. He sets up each mando before it ships.

Jon Hall
Apr-04-2009, 6:31pm
Watch the Cafe classifieds for a Kentucky 505 a band mate found one there for $340 that sounds almost as good as my Weber Absaroka.

journeybear
Apr-04-2009, 7:01pm
Thanks for all the replies! I don't know when the opportunity may present itself again to acquire new gear, so I'm trying to glean all the info I can.

Absolutely! You can't make an informed decision if you don't have all the decisive information.

Say, whatcha got on the grill, and when's dinner gonna be ready? Mm-mm-mm, looks good ... :grin:

elk
Apr-04-2009, 7:49pm
Absolutely! You can't make an informed decision if you don't have all the decisive information.

Say, whatcha got on the grill, and when's dinner gonna be ready? Mm-mm-mm, looks good ... :grin:

My Avatar is another hobby that's got way out of hand!:))

Those are actually smoked mesquite lime cornish game hens.

KanMando
Apr-04-2009, 8:07pm
Another vote for the Kentucky 505. I bought one last year to use as my camping mando, but it's good enough to use anywhere. Good tone and volume, good playability, and nice to look at too. Really nice wood - hard to beat, even for a used mando in this price range. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the sound and looks of my 505.

Bob

Rick Schmidlin
Apr-04-2009, 8:48pm
I'm partial to the Kentucky's in that price range. If you can stretch just a little bit more I'd look at a Kentucky 505 (http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8068). At $449.00 it's a really decent instrument.

This is the smart way to start and suggested by one above who knows.

mickey.cole
Apr-04-2009, 10:37pm
Take a look at the ROVER RM-75 nice good loud sound nice tone
you'll be surprised. put a set of GHS SILK AND BRONZE ON IT

Fstpicker
Apr-04-2009, 10:52pm
I highly recommend a Mid-Missouri/Big Mo. I recently purchased a used M-1 off this forum for 3 bills, and I couldn't be happier. It is significantly louder than my Flatiron pancake that I used to own, and it sounds every bit as good, and perhaps a tad better in some of the tonal registers, although it is still somewhat green as it is still breaking in yet. And the neck is 1 & 1/8" which is great for larger hands. They even make a wider nut model with a 1 & 1/4" neck.

BTW, I play a lot of Old Time and Traditional Gospel hymns on it, and it sounds perfect for this type of songs.

Jeff

mandozilla
Apr-05-2009, 12:14am
Hi Elk! Welcome to the Cafe!

I too cast my vote for the Kentucky KM-505. Like Mike said you get the best bang for the buck with this guy. I've played a handful by now and if I had the spare change right now I'd get one. It's a little bit above your price range but if you can wait a little and save up a bit more I think you'd be pleased. :grin:

:mandosmiley:

mandolirius
Apr-05-2009, 3:09pm
I've also found Kentucky's to be pretty hard to beat in the "under $500" category.

Timbofood
Apr-05-2009, 3:16pm
I just did some "Hens" last week too, Whilst playing my old Alvarez! There are more here that know the current "Values" so, I will bow out unless, I get a invitation to dinner!

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-05-2009, 10:26pm
Those hens sound tasty, and I am a big fan of outdoor cooking as well. Last night I grilled pork loins with a chipotle/mustard/beer paste, with grilled asparagus and Provençal seasoned oven fries on the side.

mandozilla
Apr-06-2009, 12:24am
CUT IT OUT JIM AND TIM...Stop talking about grilling! :mad: I'm drooling on my shirt! I'm stuck at work in a dumb old power plant and I can't leave to get something decent to eat. :crying: All I have is a cr**py 'Hot Pocket' yeeeech! :(

Now, back to mandolin content. :))

Capt. E
Apr-06-2009, 9:24am
The Kentucky 505...

Capt. E
Apr-06-2009, 9:33am
The other route would be a used instrument. I have picked up two very nice mandos on Ebay, both for under $250. Add about a $100 for a serious set-up for each (included things like new nut, fret leveling, truss rod tweak, intonation and action adjustment). One is a 70's Japanese "Shiro" brand A the equal of most mandos in the $1500 class. The other is a 1983 japanese made Epiphone MM-70. The MM-70 is no longer made and is a good bit better than the new Epi MM-50's that sell in the $500 area.

Jim MacDaniel
Apr-06-2009, 10:26am
Mark -- from one Hot Pocket fan to another ;)
J9c9lAfXQHs

journeybear
Apr-06-2009, 12:08pm
... smoked mesquite lime cornish game hens ... Nahhh ...

... grilled pork loins with a chipotle/mustard/beer paste, with grilled asparagus and Provençal seasoned oven fries on the side ... Nahhh ...

Hot Pocket ... yummmm ... ooohhh ... What? Heat for 45 seconds??? :disbelief: Hurry up, microwave!!! :mad:

Jill McAuley
Apr-07-2009, 12:53am
Elk,
Just noticed that there's a used KM 505 in the classifieds for $350 with a gig bag or $400 with a hardshell case - NFI, but it's in your price range and a fair amount of folks on this thread (including myself) reckon they're a pretty good deal for the money.

Cheers,
Jill

mandozilla
Apr-07-2009, 2:30am
Mark -- from one Hot Pocket fan to another

:)):)):)):))

elk
Apr-07-2009, 6:16am
Elk,
Just noticed that there's a used KM 505 in the classifieds for $350 with a gig bag or $400 with a hardshell case - NFI, but it's in your price range and a fair amount of folks on this thread (including myself) reckon they're a pretty good deal for the money.

Cheers,
Jill

I sent him an e-mail as soon as I saw it. I've been checking the classifieds regularly.

Thanks

Dfyngravity
Apr-07-2009, 7:46am
That is a good deal there in the classifieds....hope that one works out for ya.

mandozilla
Apr-08-2009, 2:48am
Elk,

I sent him an e-mail as soon as I saw it. I've been checking the classifieds regularly

So Elk, did you pull the trigger on that one? :confused:

I guess not, it's still there...If I had an extra 400 clams laying around I'd snatch it up...time for a better beater. :)) (sorry Lee)

elk
Apr-08-2009, 9:53pm
I've sent a couple of e-mails, no reply.

gregjones
Apr-08-2009, 10:43pm
I'd go to The Mandolin Store.

Use this link:

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=51&sortField=price

It should go to A bodies with increasing prices.

Pick the one at your budget level.

My purchase from Dennis was the best overall transaction I've made in a long time anywhere, let alone over the internet.