PDA

View Full Version : A chord

reeljigs
Aug-04-2004, 10:40pm
I am confused about the A chord. In the Folk of the Wood video, they show an A chord played as G string 7th fret and D string 2nd fret. However, in other mandolin chord books, I have seen it G and D strings 2nd fret, A string 4th fret, and E string 5th fret.
(Sorry, there is probably a better way to notate those).
Which form is best to learn?

mandocrucian
Aug-04-2004, 11:33pm
A
===0====
===0====
===2====
===6====

A5 (root-5th, has no 3rd so can be used for either major or minr)
===0====
===0====
===2====
===2====

kvk
Aug-05-2004, 7:53am
A1 Has no 3rd or 5th so can be used for either major or minor, 6th, 7th, M7th, dim, 7b5, aug, sus2, sus4, yada yada :-)
===5====
===0====
===7====
===2====

Please, it's a joke :-)

pathfinder
Aug-05-2004, 8:40am
An 'A' major chord is only comprised of three notes; A, C# and E. #Check out the chord patterns illustrated so far in this thread. #You'll discover that an 'A' chord can be made in a number of ways, as long as only these three notes are used (although one pattern didn't use a C# anywhere, which is OK, too).

mandocrucian
Aug-05-2004, 8:47am
Please, it's a joke :-)

At first I was thinking, "Too bad it isn't a closed shape, otherwise you could play licks up and down the neck with double octaves."

But it's too early in the morning and wasn't thinking clearly or fast enough! You just gotta get rid of the open string. Use pick+RH fingers. (Well you could use just the pick but you'd need to mute the A-string with the RH pinky)

===5===7===8===ring(RH)
=================
===7===9===10===middle(RH)
===2===4===5===pick(RH)

But it's not as smooth as: (for double octaves

==5===7===8====ring (RH)
==0===2===3====middle (RH)
===============
==2===4===5====pick (down)

or (using just the pick

==5===7===8====
==0===2===3====
==x===x===x====<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>mute with side of LH index (A only) or side of LH middle finger (or tip of LH ring finger)</span>
==2===4===5====

Good for do "morse code" soul/funk strums. Like in "You Keep Me Hangin' On" - Diana Ross & The Supremes. #

Works for Paul Burlisson rockabilly licks too ("Train Kept A Rollin'") although he was using only the outside pitches without the middle octave....

===5===3===5===8===5======ring finger(RH)
==========================
==========================
===2===0===2===5===2======pick(down)
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

the Mandocrucianator

reeljigs
Aug-06-2004, 9:35am
Huh? This makes zero sense to me. Is it just me, or is it an inside joke?

Since I asked about the A chord, this brings me to another pressing question. How is one supposed to hold down two strings (well 4 really) at the same fret when making some of these chords?? I am a female and have thin fingers and have not been able to figure out a way of fretting down two notes, while pressing down another string with another finger and make it sound clean? It seems physically impossible!

thanks

pathfinder
Aug-06-2004, 10:35am
Quote:
"Since I asked about the A chord, this brings me to another pressing question..."

You're right, reeljigs. #It is a "pressing" question! #Just flatten your pointer finger across all eight strings on the second fret, and position your thumb so that it's pressed upwards against the back of the neck and directly underneath your pointer finger. #This will help you "pinch" the neck and make a clean sound. #

Then stretch your middle finger and note the 'A' strings on the fourth fret, and stretch your ring finger a bit more to note the 'E' strings on the fifth fret. #Voila! #An 'A' chord!

It takes practice (the secret is using your thumb)! #But as your fingers strengthen (in about a week or so) it'll become second nature.

psann
Aug-06-2004, 3:35pm
Just tried that, Pathfinder, moving that thumb really helped. Cool! The rest of your description surprised me. I have been using the ring and pinky on the "a" and "e" strings. Or, perhaps I should say, attempting to. I keep practicing this formation but cannot get in fast enough to actually use it. I usally use the
---------
---------
---7-----
---9-----

Pat

Aug-06-2004, 5:38pm
Check the chords on the site they should have it. I know there is also a simple 2 fingered A.

pathfinder
Aug-06-2004, 9:47pm
Quote (psann):
"I have been using the ring and pinky on the "a" and "e" strings".

Hey psann, that's perfectly acceptable. #I should've mentioned that option. #Good luck and keep at it!

psann
Aug-06-2004, 10:42pm
I have small hands like reeljigs. What really makes the difference for me on reaching that bar chord is letting my middle finger sit on the A string on the fret above the ring finger. It is not doing anything but just following along while the ring finger is doing the work but it seems to make the stretch more comfortable and helps to move the fingers as a unit if you want to move this position up the neck.

Pathfinder, you gave me just the hint I needed. Moving that thumb. I have been noodling with this chord all afternoon and it sounds clear for the first time. Sometimes such a little thing can make such a big difference. Love this list.

mandodebbie
Aug-07-2004, 1:42pm
I'm still having trouble fretting the A chord (or Am) since I bought my mando five months a go. This is on account of my teeny-tiny fingers. With practice, I expect it will take me a couple more months to actually render a true sound. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

levin4now
Aug-07-2004, 5:11pm
reeljig,

I think you probably saw G string 6th fret, D string 2nd fret. (A minor would be the same except drop the G string to the 5th fret.) Hope that helps. As mentioned above, there are a multitude of ways to play the same chord....

Alan

reeljigs
Aug-07-2004, 5:50pm
Yes, sorry it was the 6th fret not the 7th.
Thanks for all the input. I don't see how I'll ever be able to fret more than one note at a time. My fingers (hand)don't seem to be made for it. I will continue to try, but I might have to rely on other ways to make those chords that require double fretting (correct term?).