PDA

View Full Version : Builders let's see your most challenging repairs.

G. Fisher
Aug-04-2004, 8:43pm
I just found my old copy of Frets with Bill Monroes Loar on the cover in pieces. That job was given to Charlie Derrington and was well documented #in that issue. So, I thought I would see if there are any other major repairs that builders have completed that they would like to share.

Big Joe
Aug-04-2004, 10:14pm
We have seen just about everything over the years. Necks broken, tops busted, rims broken, finish ruined, damaged in fire, acid spilled on instrument...etc. etc. etc. WHile Charlies most famous was Mr. Bill's, it is only one among many that has worked its way through our hands over the years.

G. Fisher
Aug-04-2004, 10:22pm
Any before and after pictures of any of these repairs?

sunburst
Aug-06-2004, 12:59pm
I'm actually holding off starting on a few repairs 'til I can get the digital camera of my dreams in order to document the process.
I have an A4 in about 8 pieces right now, I had a '33 F5 once in about 5 pieces, and others, but no camera.
The F5 turned out real well, by the way. I might get some "after" pics some day, but it's too late for "before".

Michael Lewis
Aug-06-2004, 11:13pm
The most challenging repairs usually don't show after they are done. The exceptions are mostly repairs messed up by someone trying to "fix it" but not really knowing how. Often there is little you can do with them aside from cleaning up some of the glue goobers and wet-sanding slop left inside.

sunburst
Aug-07-2004, 9:58am
You're right Michael. The most challenging repairs are not the most photogenic repairs, they are the messes left by some uninformed DIY type.
Getting there first usually takes a lot of the challenge out of it.

krishna
Aug-07-2004, 7:31pm
Enough talk! Show some pics and descriptions! (sorry!)