PDA

View Full Version : Weber Gallatin

pwkellar
Apr-01-2009, 4:21pm
I've got a <item deleted by Chief Moderator> on Ebay. <description deleted by Chief Moderator>
Here's the <item deleted by Chief Moderator>:

<url deleted by Chief Moderator>

Note Discussion Board participants are responsible for reading all Posting Guidlines prior to posting.

JEStanek
Apr-01-2009, 4:58pm
Please review the Posting Guidelines (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/faq.php).

Specifically, Ebay, online auctions, Cafe Classifieds: while discussing online auctions or the classifieds is permitted, posting personal transactions for self-promotion is prohibited. Fraudulent transactions are legitimate subject for discussion, but listing Seller's account names or numbers are against board guidelines.

Thanks.

Jamie

mandolinbill1949
Apr-02-2009, 9:34am
Gallatins are cheap sounding in my opinion. But you know what they say about opinions they are like a$$h#l$$ every one has one.

JEStanek
Apr-02-2009, 9:54am
That's helpful. :confused:

One of the goals of this website is to be helpful and nurturing. Perhaps a better critique of what you don't like sonically or structurally?

The mahoganny backed Gallatins have a different voice that your traditional Spruce over maple bluegrass mandolin. So while the instrument may not be a great bluegrass candidate, it's voice has other uses. And please don't try to work around our profanity filter. This is a family site. Thanks.

Jamie

mandolinbill1949
Apr-02-2009, 9:57am
sorry didn't know about the scrambled word being a bad thing. Sorry Jamie

DerTiefster
Apr-02-2009, 11:21am
Bill(?),
I think jamie is first suggesting that you might provide an explanation of "cheap sounding" in the way of being informative and educational, rather than simply saying "I don't like it." Do you think they are thin? Flat and thunky? Tinny? Just trying to aid communication here. (I was curious, too.) The scatology issue was the second item he mentioned.

mandolinbill1949
Apr-02-2009, 2:45pm
Bill(?),
I think jamie is first suggesting that you might provide an explanation of "cheap sounding" in the way of being informative and educational, rather than simply saying "I don't like it." Do you think they are thin? Flat and thunky? Tinny? Just trying to aid communication here. (I was curious, too.) The scatology issue was the second item he mentioned.

By cheap sounding i mean for a f style mandolin used for bluegrass it dont have the volume or the tone it just has that dead sound all the way across the strings you know like alot of pacrims do. Sorry for the misunderstanding

pwkellar
Apr-02-2009, 11:39pm
And you certainly are entitled to your opinion. I have mine. It was the best mando I could afford at the time. It has great action and I have a place for it in my heart. I just got a Weber Big Sky spruce/maple. Maybe you'll approve of that?

DerTiefster
Apr-02-2009, 11:51pm
Everybody likes different stuff. To each his own.

Mr. Kellar (?) seems initially to have read the name of this part of the forum and reasonably assumed it to be for notices about ebay auctions. I could have made the same mistake. I hope he's not sensitive about his initlal post getting gutted. Bill (above) is almost as opinionated as I am. He probably means no harm by expressing it. But we all should try to remember that we're supposed to be polite and congenial here. I like it that way. The moderators enforce it. I can handle that.

And I wish I could justify buying a higher end mando than I can at present. A Big Sky would probably be great. I won't be able to play one well enough to know for quite some time, and probably it'll be longer before I can scrape together the dinero. Congratulations to pwkellar on his new acquisition. Best wishes on the sale of the other.

pwkellar
Apr-03-2009, 12:10am
Yes, thank you kind sir. I am new to the forum and misunderstood this particular forum topic. Ignorance is bliss! I took no offense to the moderator and Bill has his opinions, that's fine. No offense taken. I play in many styles and the Gallatin was a good fit for my price range. I wanted a little more chop and better tone so now I upgraded...simple as that.

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-03-2009, 12:48am
Ain't no such thang as a bad Weber...

Miked
Apr-03-2009, 6:48am
I started playing mandolin 4 years ago with a Gallatin. It had the maple upgrade and was a beautiful instrument, but it seemed to lose resonance when playing up the neck. It did have a pretty decent chop.

I hope it found a good home!
:mandosmiley:

mandolinbill1949
Apr-17-2009, 5:28am
Ain't no such thang as a bad Weber...

There is bad webers and there is bad gibsons i had a weber yellowstone and the top started sinking in and no it was not heavy strings that did it it started sinking in with no strings on the yellowstone

DerTiefster
Apr-17-2009, 7:25am
That bears a striking the first troll I ever saw in the internet, over a decade ago. I can't remember what kind of troll it was, but it worked well. Lots of responses by people who took the comment seriously, and thought the world was a better place for their having contributed a reply. I'm different from them in that I don't necessarily think the world is now a better place for my having posted this reply. Just trying to share in a non-volatile fashion.

No strings, eh? Did someone sit on it? Sorry if the response itself is starting to look like a troll, too; that might be due to the proximity effect. But the answer could be 1) entertaining or 2) illuminating or 3) both.

NuGrass
Apr-19-2009, 10:52pm
There is bad webers and there is bad gibsons i had a weber yellowstone and the top started sinking in and no it was not heavy strings that did it it started sinking in with no strings on the yellowstone

sounds like more of a humidity problem then a Weber problem to me...their stuff is incredible...

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-19-2009, 11:47pm
How hard did you "chop" it? And with what?

lovethemf5s
Apr-20-2009, 1:43pm
PW,
Concerning the deleted words in your original post - I'm sure you were just testing to see if the hall monitors were awake.

mandolinbill1949
Apr-20-2009, 8:27pm
I am by no means saying that all webers are bad.I just had some bad experiences with two different weber mandos. 1.The yellowstones top sunk in. 2.The gallatin just didn't sound as some goodas some of my cheaper kentuckys.One of the best sounding mandos on youtube in my opinion is Ken Olmsteads Weber.I didn't mean to offend anyone.Just expressing my opinion of my experience with a weber gallatin because that is what the thread is about.

pwkellar
Apr-20-2009, 9:42pm
Are you guys still talking about the Gallatin? :grin: That's old news! Let's not spend so much time a bickerin' and spend some more time a pickerin'!! :mandosmiley:

Kevin Briggs
Apr-27-2009, 8:57pm
I've played a few older Gallains that I liked very much. I think they are all different, and you need to find one you like more than any other.

Patio Furniture
Mar-02-2010, 10:35am
Hi PW- I am interested in how the Big Sky compares to the Gallatin. I have a Gallatin and it is the first Mandolin I have owned. I am considering adding or trading for a Big Sky but haven't had the opportunity to play one. I appreciate your input. Thanks!