PDA

View Full Version : e any input on theseMorgan Monroe Bean Blossom

mer
Aug-04-2004, 4:22pm
I am looking to buy my first mandolin. I have played a little guitar and lap dulcimer but a little lost picking a mandolin out. There is a morgan monroe bean blossom BMFS-1(new) for $300 w/case that I am thinking about. Does anybody have any input on these. I would like to spend around $300 would I be better off with something else. Since I cannot play anything yet it is hard picking one out. Thanks in advance Mike

JeffS
Aug-04-2004, 10:01pm
Haven't seen one in person, only on eBay. They are supposedly a solid top with laminate sides and backs. I think in this case the solid top is probably pressed or arched. I've played F5's of similar construction (Dean) and they sound like my $79 A model. What kind of case does it come with? A decent hard shell case is at least $80. So you're getting a really cheap mandolin there.

mer
Aug-05-2004, 8:04am
Thanks Jeffs
It doesnt sound like it is a deal then. Maybe I should look into all solid wood ones first. I think kentucky had some in my range. I will keep looking for know. Anymore input would be appreciated .
Thanks again, Mike

Damnation Gulch
Aug-05-2004, 9:36am
I have its big brother "Phantom Of The Opry" and enjoy it. I'm still looking at others as I think we all are...LOL!

earthsave
Aug-06-2004, 10:57am
I've got a Beanblossom F that I bought off our guitar players neighbor after he bought it off Ebay... It has good volume and good action... definitely playable. The tone is not the best, but it is adequate for practicing and playing outside. I paid $200 with no case and it was used. I'm pretty sure it's Chinese made. Solid top (probably pressed) with laminate sides and back. Nothing fancy but something for someone to start on or have as a beater.