PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Signed by

Chris Wofford
Mar-31-2009, 12:50pm
I think this is probably a dumb question. Is the person that signed the label the person that built the mandolin? I wasn't sure if it was the builder or maybe a final quality control person or what. I see it often for Gibson or Flatiron.

Bill Snyder
Mar-31-2009, 1:45pm
For a small shop (one or two men/women) I would expect it to be the luthier that built you mandolin. At a larger shop it would more likely be the signature of the lead luthier or production manager showing that they had inspected and approved the mandolin.

mandozilla
Apr-05-2009, 10:04am
If the signature on the label says Lloyd Loar then the answer is no. :))

Chris, the only 'dumb' question is the one that wasn't asked. :))

Say Bill! God Bless you, your son and your whole family and may your young Marine come home safe! :)

:mandosmiley:

Chris Keth
Apr-05-2009, 10:22pm
I've got a bowlback that has the label inside signed by the owner. It's a production mandolin and the label is signed "Alice" with an italic pen.

jacob1980
Apr-05-2009, 11:54pm
A few years back before I actually started playing mandolin, I bought one at the Gibson shop in Nashville and before they built it I signed my name on the sticker and they put it inside for me. I thought that was pretty neat. It was a cheap A style that sounded horrible, but nevertheless it was kinda cool.