PDA

View Full Version : Review of new pick made by Greg Fisher

Fred Keller
Mar-31-2009, 10:39am
I was up jamming in Duluth this past Saturday and Greg Fisher, Cafe member, sat down next to me and thrust a pick into my eager little hands. He's started making his own recipe and design from what I gather and they're darned nice I must say.

The overall shape is about the same size as a D'Andrea ProPlec 1.5mm (my current favorite) but Greg's has a bit more roundness at the tips than the PP. The one I have is gray and from my eyeballing it must be 1.5 mm as well.

I have no idea what he's making them from but the texture and feel is very similar to the Wegens I've got floating around here.

The tone is great. The one he gave me has lots of punch, a little more brightness than my PP, and not as clicky as the Wegens to my ear. It has more warmth than my Wegens but less warmth/mellow than the ProPlec. Doesn't slip around much; feels the tiniest bit more soft than the Wegen with a little bit more roughness to make gripping it easy I guess.

The only possible drawback I can see is that in the few days I've been putting it through its paces, I've already blunted two of the three tips. I will want to see how much wear it sustains over time before I can definitively say they're "softer" than another pick. A lot of picks I've tried blunt quickly but then wear slowly over time.

I've never reviewed a pick before so if there's something else you want to know about it, let me know. All in all, a very nice pick, one which I'm going to keep working with to see how it performs. I don't know if Greg is selling them yet or what they would cost; I have no financial interest, just want to give a boost to local boy who's put out a dang fine product.

bjc
Mar-31-2009, 11:56am
I'm a huge ProPlec fan...so this is interesting to me...I think the way people attack the strings has a lot of influence on the tone...but I think, you've done a great job describing it...

Phil Goodson
Mar-31-2009, 6:43pm
Greg,

Is this the same material that you gave me a sample of last year when we were discussing BC material?

If so, I still like it. Reminds me of the BC picks but slightly softer. Very quiet off the strings.

G. Fisher
Mar-31-2009, 8:06pm
Thanks for the input Fred I'm glad you like the pick. I'm still looking into selling them but I'm not sure if there is enough interest in yet another pick.

Phil,

The one Fred has is the same material as the sample I sent you. I also have found another material I'm working with too. How is your holding up?

hjohnson
Apr-01-2009, 10:53am
I have been using Greg's new pick for several months now and have put aside my Wegans and TS. It's a great pick for mando and guitar. I know everyone looks for something special that fits their picking style - the new Fischer picks do it for me, better that anything else I have tried. I hope it's a home run for Greg.

Hal Johnson
(no financial interest)

Phil Goodson
Apr-02-2009, 8:25pm
Phil,
The one Fred has is the same material as the sample I sent you. I also have found another material I'm working with too. How is your holding up?

It's holding up well, with little wear. I admit that I don't use it every day, but I like the material. To me, it's very quiet. I polished mine to as slick a surface as possible and put a few grip holes in it as well. Doesn't slip. Has a slightly softer feel on the strings compared to BC, but still fast off the string.
I like it best for slow, soft, tremoloed tunes.