billkilpatrick
Mar-31-2009, 5:19am
a great holland-dozier-holland song and chord progression from motown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3kEzq277ss

ronalr
Mar-31-2009, 12:36pm
a great holland-dozier-holland song and chord progression from motown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3kEzq277ss

Another winner Bill...great stuff......you have a huge Motown catalog to choose from....how do you choose...just your favorites or do you find the ones that may lend themselves to the mando? are you figuring them out from the record or do you have music?
really enjoy it ....thanks

billkilpatrick
Mar-31-2009, 1:29pm
thanks ron. i have a few "early classics" compilation albums put out on the motown label: mary wells; martha and the vandellas; smokey robinson ... but mostly i find songs on youtube and play along till i get it. looking for tabs can be a help but mostly, they're wrong.

i don't know if these songs are acceptable for the mandolin or not ... but they're a gas to play. what strikes me about them now is how catchy the chord progressions are on the mandolin and how simple they can be to figure out. when i first heard them, i wouldn't have been able to do that - too dazzled by the string and horn lines, probably.

also ... i like the idea of playing motown songs on a "bluegrass" instrument.

- bill*

Bruce Evans
Mar-31-2009, 3:51pm
You made it yours while still paying homage to the original. Plus, it sounds like you were having fun. Good job.

LKN2MYIS
Mar-31-2009, 4:06pm
thanks ron. i have a few "early classics" compilation albums put out on the motown label: mary wells; martha and the vandellas; smokey robinson ... but mostly i find songs on youtube and play along till i get it. looking for tabs can be a help but mostly, they're wrong.

i don't know if these songs are acceptable for the mandolin or not ... but they're a gas to play. what strikes me about them now is how catchy the chord progressions are on the mandolin and how simple they can be to figure out. when i first heard them, i wouldn't have been able to do that - too dazzled by the string and horn lines, probably.

also ... i like the idea of playing motown songs on a "bluegrass" instrument.

- bill*

Bill -

I have to tell you, your Youtube posts are incredibly enjoyable to me.

Aside from it being the music I grew up with, your interpretation really nails
the tunes down. Voice and mando.

If you could, for us slow learners, post the chord changes for them as you go along. I have a real hard time picking things up by ear, and I'd greatly appreciate it. You can PM me, if you'd like.

I have to also agree that your choice of tunes is right on. I grew up (and still live) on Long Island. Being 57, this music was definitely part of the sound track of my life. For a while, after hearing 'Tracks Of My Tears' as a kid, I wanted to BE Smokey Robinson.

What an era of great music. Thanks for bringing it back to light in such a fresh and innovative way.

Please - KEEP DOING THIS!!!

billkilpatrick
Mar-31-2009, 4:31pm
ciao john -

thanks a lot!

who knows what REAL! musicians at motown made of it but the chords i used are as follows:

G - C - G - Bm - Em - Am - D ... Bm - Em - Am - D (find the notes on the "G" course to do the "... your precious love, keeps me hanging on ..." part.)

i don't know how to post a link to another thread but if you go to "song and projects" you'll see where someone who REALLY knows has corrected the chords that i gave to "come see about me."

happy tunes - bill

billkilpatrick
Mar-31-2009, 4:40pm
You made it yours while still paying homage to the original. Plus, it sounds like you were having fun. Good job.

grazie bruce! ... as you're from the "motown state" ... why don't you have a go! i mean - you wouldn't want anyone to think these songs were only heard and appreciated in the empire state!

- bill

LKN2MYIS
Mar-31-2009, 4:46pm
ciao john -

thanks a lot!

who knows what REAL! musicians at motown made of it but the chords i used are as follows:

G - C - G - Bm - Em - Am - D ... Bm - Em - Am - D (find the notes on the "G" course to do the "... your precious love, keeps me hanging on ..." part.)

i don't know how to post a link to another thread but if you go to "song and projects" you'll see where someone who REALLY knows has corrected the chords that i gave to "come see about me."

happy tunes - bill

Bill -

You ARE a real musician. And thanks!

And you knock dead "Come See About Me". Beautiful - from one Italian to another, I envy your living in Italy. I was there for 2 weeks in May last year. Simply stunning place.