PDA

View Full Version : July 9 Loars at Mandolin Central

Kirk Albrecht
Mar-30-2009, 8:26pm
I just discovered today that Tony Williamson has not one (knew before the July 9 "prototype") but indeed TWO July 9, 1923 Loars in stock, absolutely pristine. The more newly listed one has a Virzi

Wow. Just amazing.

Has anyone played either of these instruments?

Would love a personal description.

f5loar
Mar-30-2009, 11:03pm
I hit on both at some point in my not too distant life.
Both are great Loars. Top of the heap. Both can cure MAS forever. While the new is not from the "Monroe" batch of reverse binding (it has the regular standard binding) it does feature the rare one piece back only found in a few Loars and a '23 Virzi is rarer then a '24 Virzi. Add to that the Virzi is one that really makes the sound of this one so unique and you can see the price will be forgotten long after the quality and mystic remains. Too bad these vintage dealers or not jumping on the car dealers specials like no downpayment and 0% interest for the life of the mandolin.

Kirk Albrecht
Mar-31-2009, 7:18am
F5Loar -

Thanks.

And I think we should start to see some of those "stimulus" packages as well! :))

kudzugypsy
Mar-31-2009, 7:46am
i have never seen so many fine loars for sale at one time, they seem to be coming out everywhere ('cept my local pawn shop!)

Bob Wiegers
Mar-31-2009, 7:58am
for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.mandolincentral.com/F573726.html

http://www.mandolincentral.com/F573682.html

sgarrity
Mar-31-2009, 8:41am
i have never seen so many fine loars for sale at one time, they seem to be coming out everywhere ('cept my local pawn shop!)

Isn't that the truth. Have you seen Elderly's inventory??? Two Loars and two Ferns. Gruhn's has two Loars and a '27 Fern. I think I'll buy a Power Ball ticket tonight! :grin:

Timbofood
Mar-31-2009, 9:44am
You know, I keep walking by the barber shops around here and I never see one in the window!

grassrootphilosopher
Apr-02-2009, 4:30am
Barber shops ainīt the place to go anymore since after the war everybody does their singing elsewhere. Looks like bank vaults might be more appropriate. Though Iīve never heard of anyone going "vault shopping" these days.

mandolinbill1949
Apr-02-2009, 9:22am
I am still looking for my grandpa's under the bed but its never there.

allenhopkins
Apr-02-2009, 10:44am
I may be one of the few Cafe members who actually found the first mandolin in my grandfather's attic -- actually two, a late 'teens Gibson A-1 and a B&J Victoria bowl-back. Still have the bowl-back, but the Gibson departed in a series of trades.

No Loar, though -- sadly.

Glassweb
Apr-02-2009, 1:39pm
and from what i hear, those consecutive number Ferns with that amazing double case will be coming to auction at Skinner next month. now THAT should be an interesting auction...

testore
Apr-02-2009, 3:59pm
I just bought one!

sgarrity
Apr-02-2009, 4:48pm
You did WHAT??? We're gonna need pics and details!

testore
Apr-02-2009, 5:04pm
OK I lied. I just discovered this thread a day late. April Fools!

sgarrity
Apr-02-2009, 5:42pm
Hahaha........how did I know that was coming???

f5loar
Apr-02-2009, 6:11pm
I know of at least 2 barbershops in North Carolina that features bluegrass picking once a week. While you might not find a Loar hanging on the wall I have seen them being picked in the barbershop. The double cased twin Ferns would make any collector's stash top of the line.

Mike Snyder
Apr-02-2009, 10:47pm
The barbershop in Bull Shoals Ar. has pickin' once a week (at least). No Loars on the wall, though.

Glassweb
Apr-04-2009, 12:53am
The double cased twin Ferns would make any collector's stash top of the line.[/QUOTE]

You know Tom, I hear Boston is a mighty pretty place in May...;)

grassrootphilosopher
Apr-06-2009, 7:27am
I know of at least 2 barbershops in North Carolina that features bluegrass picking once a week. While you might not find a Loar hanging on the wall I have seen them being picked in the barbershop. The double cased twin Ferns would make any collector's stash top of the line.

I really apreciate music played in everyday locations. On the other hand, I would not want to approach people that play their Loar mandolin in such a setting and pester them to sell it to me; that would be disgraceful. Fortunately traditional musicians usually are a courteous breed and they generally donīt bug people about selling their instrument. I wouldnīt mind going to one of these barber shop jams one of these days. And might it not be that someone comes out of a bank as I pass on my way to the session and he is so depressed that his vintage F 5 was just sitting in that there vault that heīd give it to me, knowing that heīd make someone happy?