PDA

View Full Version : Altman Mandos – Mike Marshall – Vasen in GA

Mark Robertson-Tessi
Mar-30-2009, 9:16am
Had a fun couple of days in Savannah, GA last week. I flew out to meet Bob Altman and check out three new mandos he just built, in hopes of picking one out. It was an interesting trio of instruments: they were all built the same, except each had a different wood for the top. There was a red spruce, an Engelmann spruce, and a Sitka spruce. They were still in the white, meaning that the finish had not been applied yet.

All three were really great mandolins, and very loud with amazing tone. Some notes almost hurt your ears if you dug in a little! It was interesting to see what voice the different tops gave. The Sitka had huge pop, and was a great traditional BG mando. The tone was dryer than the other two. The Engelmann had the most sustain I’ve heard in a mando. The notes were rich, almost piano-like. Not as much attack as the spruce, so it played extremely smoothly for melodic lines. The red spruce mando was somewhere in between the two: nice attack, and a round bell-like sustain.

Bob was in Savannah to meet with Mike Marshall and show him the mandolins. After he and Darol Anger played them for a while, Mike ended up liking the red spruce a lot, and it looks like he’ll be playing it after Bob finishes it in the next month or so.

Mike played a few sets with Darol and the Swedish group Vasen at the month long Savannah music festival. We caught one of their shows, and it was amazing. Never heard Vasen live before. The blend of the 5 instruments was superb. Mike is also the nicest guy you’ll ever meet! Playing some Bach duets with him on his mandocello was a highlight of the trip for sure. That's a really cool instrument, even if the stretch is brutal!

For myself, I loved the sustain and smooth feel of the Engelmann, so I’ll be receiving that mando next month. Now the hardest part: wait patiently for Bob to finish it! I’ve been playing an earlier Altman (from ‘05) on loan from a generous friend, and have really liked that instrument, but this new batch was eye opening. I can’t imagine what they’ll do once they’re played in, because they already sound incredible. I’ll post some pics and clips of it when it comes.

Cheers,
Mark

250sc
Mar-30-2009, 10:17am
I had the pleasure of hearing Mike and Darol play as a duet in a small venue and it was up there in the top 3 live shows I've ever seen. The very best comping violin I've ever heard.

nate w
Mar-30-2009, 10:22am
I have a Weber made of Engleman, the second I picked it up, I knew it was the one, such sweet tone. Mike Marshall is a great guy.

Capt. E
Mar-30-2009, 10:50am
The four Altman's I have played at Fiddlers Green are all superb instruments. They include what may be the only two point Altman has ever made.

Bigtuna
Mar-30-2009, 10:53am
Does Altman make an A-model?

Bob Stolkin
Mar-30-2009, 11:34am
Does Altman make an A-model?

He hasn't but that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't. My guess, though, is that his list could grow considerably once Mike Marshall starts playing one out. Mike's new Altman probably figures to take some of the lifting from his venerable Loar.

Mark, congratulations on the new instrument. I have Altman #15 with a one-piece Englemann top. Broken in and amazing. From what I've heard, the new ones are the best yet. Enjoy!

fiddler59
Apr-01-2009, 5:52am
Our acoustic quartet Curley Maple had the pleasure of opening for Darol Anger &
The republic of Strings in Atlanta last week. My wife and I went down to Savannah later in the week to hear Mike and Darol play with Vasen...amazing !!
That is great news to hear that Bob Altman and Mike are hooking up. Bob is an amazing luthier and a great guy. Mike is an amazing mando player and a great guy. Sounds like a good combo to me !!

David Blackmon

Trey Young
Apr-01-2009, 6:35am
Hey David,
I didn't know you were a presence on this here board. Matthew and myself were planning on making it to that Eddie's Attic show, but he was moving and I had to take my buddy to the airport to get back to NYC that evening. Hope it went well. I'll catch up with you soon.

Trey

Capt. E
Apr-01-2009, 9:15am
Never seen an A model Altman. Only the one two-point. Some people would call that a fancy A.
Tom Ellis has started making an A model. They are very very nice.

Dfyngravity
Sep-23-2009, 7:01am
Well here is the video. Just awesome stuff.

Id3B4H6KxCo