PDA

View Full Version : The Tune I'd Like to Play When I Grow Up...

man dough nollij
Mar-30-2009, 2:57am
I ran across this tune lately. I'm not at the place yet where I'll be rippin' off licks like this, but I'd like to, someday!

I'm sure we all aspire to play like someone else, or at least in a different league. Being able to improv jazz is my goal, like being a Peregrine Falcon is the goal of a june bug...

Try this one on: http://www.myspace.com/donstiernberg. Click on "Theme from Mannix" on the right.

I'm curious what lick you are aspiring to when you grow up...

Youda
Mar-30-2009, 8:25am
Nice playing by Don. Wow, who would I like to play like? That would be a hard choice. But, following a link on Don's myspace page, here's one by Evan Marshall that I'd sure like to play like he does: http://www.myspace.com/solomandolin Ave Maria.

kjell
Mar-30-2009, 3:06pm
This break completely blows my head apart every time I listen to it:

aoRRjEZaN1M

Mike Snyder
Mar-30-2009, 3:24pm
I'm not a fan. That's hot. I wasn't a fan.

Tobin
Mar-31-2009, 8:05am
The most beautiful and seemingly most complex mandolin piece I've ever heard is Chris Thile's capriccio, When Mandolins Dream. My goal is to one day be able to play that piece like he does. It will be a long, long time before I'm there.

Caleb
Mar-31-2009, 1:33pm
I'd love to be able to play:

O'Carolan's Concerto by Turlough O'Carolan
Waltz For Dwayne Pomeroy by Chris Thile
and anything by J.S. Bach

farmerjones
Mar-31-2009, 2:31pm
The Manix theme reminded me of the Rockford Files theme. Not by melody but by time period, sort of. Who wrote all those good hooky themes? Henry Mancini and Burt Backerac (sp?) maybe?

Back to our regularly scheduled thread:

Salty

New Camptown Races

Ken_P
Mar-31-2009, 2:40pm
Another vote for Bach here. I have a few movements under my fingers, but playing them cleanly and up to tempo is another matter. :)

Ultimately, I'd love to be able to play the Chaconne from the D minor partita. It's just about the pinnacle of perfection in music, at least in my veiw, and it takes professional violinists a lifetime of practice to do it justice. I've been too scared to make a serious attempt at learning it, but one day...

Eddie Sheehy
Mar-31-2009, 2:50pm
The full score of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. I have the main melody parts down... it's just the bits that go gaga in the middle...

mandocaster
Mar-31-2009, 3:08pm
The Manix theme reminded me of the Rockford Files theme. Not by melody but by time period, sort of. Who wrote all those good hooky themes? Henry Mancini and Burt Backerac (sp?) maybe?

Back to our regularly scheduled thread:

Salty

New Camptown Races
Mike Post and Pete Carpenter wrote Rockford and many others.

I would like to play the Gm fugue from the Bach solo violin suites like Mike Marshall plays it.

birdman98
Mar-31-2009, 5:39pm
I'm trying to play Butch Baldassari's "Waltz for Bill Monroe".

I can get all the notes out...but if I can get my mandolin to ooze 1/10th of the soul and beauty that Butch played that song with, then I'll be on the right track.

I've yet to hear anyone pull as much tone out of a stringed instrument as Butch did.

Don Stiernberg
Mar-31-2009, 6:32pm
Mannix is by Lalo Schifrin, who I think also wrote Mission Impossible and some orchestral things. Originally he played in Dizzy Gillespie's band.

Mancini wrote a ton of film music. Bacharach wrote hits for LP's of his own, and Dionne Warwick, and later collaborated with Elvis Costello.

I think all of these composers music would sound good on our instrument.

Caleb
Mar-31-2009, 9:44pm
I've yet to hear anyone pull as much tone out of a stringed instrument as Butch did.
Well said. Butch had the smoothest, yet fattest mandolin tone I've ever heard. I really have no idea how he did it, but he did.

papawhisky
Mar-31-2009, 10:34pm
For me, it is Cazadero. The John Reischman version gives me chills every time. It is sublime. I tackled it once but it fought me off. I'm focusing on my technique in 2009. I will tackle it again this winter and we'll see who wins round 2.

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-01-2009, 2:47am
"Cazadero" as played by JR is awesomely sweet.Wonderfully easy,effortless sounding playing by a complete master.That's one i'd certainly like to get under my belt in the future,but right now,i'm still trying to get all the notes to his tune "The eighth of February" in the right order,
Saska:mandosmiley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yirqlDv8pf8

3step
Apr-12-2009, 7:36pm
I've been diligently working at one in particular for a while. 'Dusty miller', when I first heard it, it was my favorite Bill Monroe instrumental, and not having played for very long at the time, I made it my one wishful thinking effort. Did it ever give me a new appreciation of his playing. It's still my favorite challenge. One thing about it, the hardest part for me, besides trying to get the breezy feel down, was this single upstroke of the pick that comes at the end of the first bar (not sure if that's the right term). A blip of a moment in the song that really brought to my awareness how something
that's often relativly easy, put in another context can be quite difficult and it ups the ante again on what you think you know.
I was reminded of this because I bought a compilation today with a bluegrass extravaganza take on the song. When some of them played it differently I thought for a moment, hmm, you dont have to do it like that,
but why take the easy way out.