PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm on Lust

Livininlogs
Mar-29-2009, 2:48pm
Been drooling for the last few days over this one. What ya'll think. I figure I might as well spend the bucks.

Morgan Monroe MMS-8 Mandolin

Series: Rocky Top
Style: Vintage Satin Finish
Case: Deluxe Hardshell
Top: Solid Carved Spruce
Back: Solid Flamed Maple
Sides: Solid Flamed Maple
Neckjoint: Dovetail
Nut: Pearl
Fingerboard: Extended Ebony
Fretboard Inlay: Pearl Dot
Bridge:Ebony
Tailpiece: Ashton Bailey Solid Cast
Hardware: Chrome
Tuners: Pearloid Open Geared
Strings: Daddario
LIFETIME WARRANTY

JeffD
Mar-29-2009, 2:54pm
Beautious

CES
Mar-29-2009, 3:32pm
Mmmm...if you can find one nearby to play and like it, go for it...I've played one of that model in a store that was actually pretty good, and one that was just OK...if you get it set up there's no reason it can't sound as good as it looks!

Livininlogs
Mar-29-2009, 8:32pm
well for me now starts the frettin period so I should have time to find one to try out. The frettin period usually last about 2 months and I go back and forth whether to buy or not lol. During this time of frettin my mind may change two or three times before I'm apsolutly sure and pull out the bucks for the purchase. So I'd appreciate any comments during this period that will help

Shawn Gambrel
Mar-29-2009, 11:46pm
Well it all depends if you have the money and how bad you want it. I have played many of Morgan Monroe mandolins and i have liked ll of them. I say go for it and buy its beautiful.

man dough nollij
Mar-30-2009, 12:07am
Think you're on Lust?

Quite often I think I'm on Lost. I ended up on a strange island in the middle of nowhere, with no chance of rescue. Strange things happen here, including Black Smoke Monsters, time travel, and white flashes in the sky. I have to go down to the hatch at the same time every day to put the magic numbers into the computer. If I could only track down Kate and Juliet...

Mando content: I think I'll write a song about the Black Smoke Monster. I think I'll call it "Big Black Smokey Mountain Breakdown". Yep.

Capt. E
Mar-30-2009, 9:10am
I understand the "fretting period". I am much the same, but when the decision is made, go for it. My understanding is this will be you first mandolin. More important than fretting over which one to buy is to just get going with learning to play. All you need at this point is a decent instrument that is well set up so as not to put unnecessary obstacles to your learning process. If the MMS-8 speaks to you, go for it. There will be more mandolins in your future.

Pete Counter
Mar-30-2009, 3:10pm
I just bought the same model. The one in my avatar. My buddy bill has a music store and I walked in one day and saw it hangin there and played for about two hours (the longest I've ever played on a store model) and I couldnt stop thinkin about it all night. The next day I went and made a deal and I cant stop playin it. I aint saying its a brentrup or a daley but I've never heard one for under a thousand that sounds this good and of the pics on the net i've seen of this model i've never saw one with fiddle back grain this one has, I think I scored one in a thousand with this one. I was aiming at a breedlove quartz ff that they had at guitar center but this one made me jump! Keep in mind quality varies widely on these lower price point models so either try to play one in the store or get an approval period.

appended: I need to update my profile with pictures dont I? I'll try to do that tonite.

Pete Counter
Mar-30-2009, 7:40pm
I uploaded pictures to my album if you wood like to look. Should've done it a month ago but I was to busy pickin. :whistling:

Eddie Sheehy
Mar-30-2009, 8:22pm
Lee, I would have thought you'd have either found the Stargate base or X-files spaceship by now and be having a great time... I think "Big Black Smokey Monster Rag" would be better... all them breakdowns sound alike...

man dough nollij
Mar-30-2009, 8:26pm
Smoky Volcano Hornpipe?