PDA

View Full Version : Post a Picture of your 'Beater' HaHaHa

mandozilla
Mar-28-2009, 10:42pm
Haven't yet found a thread with this subject matter...forgive me moderators if I'm wrong...I just thought it would be interesting to see everybody's 'second tier' mandolins. :))

I'll start her out with 'Dogbone', my good old beater. Built by Jimmy Robertson of Edmonton KY in 2004...#74. He ain't real purty but he has a nice loud bark...and he plays well. Notice I refer to him as 'he', that's because he's a bit rough...Oh, and please excuse his appearance, he needs a good cleaning. :grin:

:mandosmiley:

mandozilla
Mar-30-2009, 4:40am
Good Lord! Am I the only one with a beater? Come on now people, don't be shy. We talk about Beaters in the threads now lets see some! :))

JeffD
Mar-30-2009, 4:54am
I am on the road without my camera. I will get a picture when I get home. My beater isn't all that beat. Its more like my "second" in command.

billkilpatrick
Mar-30-2009, 5:34am
i'm not into huntin', hikin', fishin' etc., etc. so i really don't need a beater - but the epiphone mm-30 i gave to my eldest son - that i liked a lot, btw - probably would have qualified. no photos but here's a video - tune is "over the waterfall":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgrhvS9r9w

... sounds nice - wonder if he'd "loan" back to me?

Brad Weiss
Mar-30-2009, 6:39am
Ya know, I don't have a beater any more. I might pick one up, but I've got 4 keepers (I hope I'm done!!! Please!) and each one is nicer than the other - but I'm not afraid to take them on a plane, or keep them clean and dry and take them almost anywhere. Ya don't have to beat up a beater!

MikeEdgerton
Mar-30-2009, 7:37am
Anybody got a case sticker like this on their beater?

fatt-dad
Mar-30-2009, 9:21am
My Montana enjoys walks to the beach and banging round in the back of my station wagon. Yeah, she's a beater, but a keeper too!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff102/fatt-dad/montanaatthebeach.jpg

f-d

littledonnie
Apr-01-2009, 2:53pm
This is my beater. Probably gets the most use as it's with me most of the time. Sits in my truck and I use it to practice between calls during the day. Also goes with me when I think the environment my not be the best for a better mandolin. Also has the one of a kind hand made camo case, known as the commando mando case!

Jake Wildwood
Apr-02-2009, 9:12am
Every mandolin I've owned is a beater. :) Pictures to follow later...

billkilpatrick
Apr-02-2009, 11:52am
My Montana enjoys walks to the beach and banging round in the back of my station wagon. Yeah, she's a beater, but a keeper too!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff102/fatt-dad/montanaatthebeach.jpg

f-d

good still-life photo - cigar's a nice touch - complimenti.

blawson
Apr-02-2009, 12:04pm

f-d

Fatt-Dad... SPF30, or that top's gonna turn red. But I dig the pickguard tan lines...

fatt-dad
Apr-02-2009, 1:36pm
About the missing pickguard (and resulting tan line): Under close examination, you can see that I've installed a shim beneath the bridge. Under closer inspection you can also see that there is a shim of wood beneath the fretboard. This is the beater-owner's solution for the mandolin that needs a neck reset: Remove the fretboard, glue a wedge-shaped ramp of wood beneath the fretboard and shim-up the bridge. Never got round to re-installing the pickguard, 'cause it never served as a finger rest and I could care less about scratches.

On the matter of the cigar - must not have been a very good one (in spite of the ring label) as it'd never've seen the sand.

Note: That strap means more to me than that mandolin. My folks gave it to me as a token from their trip to Costa Rico, many years ago. The two just go hand in hand.

p.s., plenty of SPF 8 on the back - belly transfer for sure!

f-d

Chuck Naill
Apr-02-2009, 7:03pm
I only have one, so I suppose it will need to suffice.

chuck:)

Jack Roberts
Apr-03-2009, 9:03pm
Here is my beater. And don't laugh. It's got mojo.

JEStanek
Apr-03-2009, 9:12pm
It needs strings, Jack!

Jamie

mandozilla
Apr-04-2009, 12:37am
In a word, FUNKY! What does it sound like strung up Jack? I'll bet it oozes MOJO! :))

Jack Roberts
Apr-04-2009, 7:51pm
I put light strings on it. I also had to unglue and reposition the bridge t and reglue bits and pieces. It sounds o.k.: I don't play it in public, but I keep it next to my desk at work and play away when I need a break. It's not loud, and doesn't do well up the neck, but it was made by an impoverished music teacher 50 years ago, who built it out of available materials. I got it for free, which is my favorite price.

Chris Keth
Apr-04-2009, 8:21pm
It's my only so I guess it can go in here. I snapped a quick one of me and the gloucester I got from a forum member today. As you can see I'm very happy with it; It's my first mandolin.

JEStanek
Apr-04-2009, 10:22pm
I think it's pretty cool, Jack.

PanaDP. Nothing to feel odd about, Nice mandolin. Those Fullertons' have many happy owners.

Jamie

John Flynn
Apr-04-2009, 11:59pm
My Parsons Flat-top. It's actually a very decent mandolin, but I got it at a "beater" price and it doesn't have a fancy finish, so I don't worry about it getting dinged.

Chris Keth
Apr-05-2009, 1:02am
My Parsons Flat-top. It's actually a very decent mandolin, but I got it at a "beater" price and it doesn't have a fancy finish, so I don't worry about it getting dinged.

Those are the best. I've got an old les paul that someone stripped the finish from before I got it. It's got all kinds of dings on it, so many in fact you might say it's finished with them. I love that I don't have to worry about taking it out or dinging it up.

kjell
Apr-05-2009, 8:52am
I'm especially proud of minor ‘improvements’ to the tailpiece…

earthsave
Apr-05-2009, 10:45am
Let me see if I have a pic of mine...

Nope... caint find it... gotta organize those one day.

ChrisStewart
Apr-08-2009, 5:40pm
Hi everyone, just registered here. Enjoyed the 150 something pages of building mandolins (looks like fun)

I only have one at the moment so I guess this qualifies

Actually it isn't mine -it is my wife's. I gave it to her for a wedding present 10 years ago. She plays a fiddle though and never crossed over to the dark side. I was playing guitar at the time but when our mando player left the band I started playing it. Made by Will Parsons -just added the arm rest.

JeffD
Apr-09-2009, 11:29pm
It is a Regal reverse scroll wall hanger.

I have nothing beater than that.

JeffD
Apr-13-2009, 8:02am
How does that Stewart sound? Looks kind of cool.

journeybear
Apr-13-2009, 2:06pm
Good Lord! Am I the only one with a beater? Come on now people, don't be shy.

We ain't shy, mebbe jest a mite embarrassed ... :redface:

Here is my beater. And don't laugh. It's got mojo.

That is one of a kind - F scroll and A pegboard.

As you can see I'm very happy with it; It's my first mandolin.

I remember you were hunting around for a while. Looks like you did fine. Is that a lefty or a mirror image? :confused:

And fatt-dad - I've got a similar strap, I think Guatemalan, that I dug out of my tenor guitar case a few days ago. Also colorful though no human imagery. A bit too short for the A model though, unlss I want to go Monroe-style.

OK - here's mine. I've never really had a beater per se, always Gibson till I got the Fender 5-string MandoCaster - unless Epiphone MandoBirds count. I could say the 1935 A-00 is a bit of a beater, especially with the cracked back and all, but since I got this one I've kind of retired the other. The local climate is a bit tough on nice old instruments and I'd just as soon leave anything I'm not playing too often in climate-controlled storage. Except the 1916 H-2 mandola, love having that around.

Anyway, the guy I got this from said it was a 1917 A, but I dunno. It doesn't say Gibson on the headstock, how could it be? :)) Note the wear to the right of the soundhole. I think that's why no one was bidding on it and I got it for less than a grand. Cosmetic only. I am trying to take good care of it so it doesn't get any more beat up. But this is the one I play all the time. It may not be an F-5 but it sounds great. Good rich complex sound, just as easy on the ears as the fingers. I've been using the Fender gig bag for this, and I apologize for that, but it's nice and roomy.

Grabbed a T-shirt to cover up the rather colorful couch for the photo. Not too many white ones, so I used my autographed Patti Rothberg one. She's a good friend, but no MC unless I'm sitting in at a gig. :mandosmiley: But now if someone else wants to post this picture at the Women With Mandolins thread be my guest. Bit of a stretch. Just like the T-shirt when I try to wear it ... :whistling:

Chris Keth
Apr-13-2009, 8:46pm
I remember you were hunting around for a while. Looks like you did fine. Is that a lefty or a mirror image? :confused:

It's a mirror image. For some reason, apple made the webcams on their laptops so they record mirror images. I often forget to reverse them if there's not text glaring back at me looking like something foreign.:))

Ray Neuman
Apr-15-2009, 8:00pm
Here is my "beater" and one and only. I bought this fella from a small shop in Mankato Minnesota about 15 years ago, and have loved it since. Not a "pro" model, but then neither am I. :)

Jack Roberts
Apr-22-2009, 7:08pm
Headstock photo of my beater.

mandozilla
Apr-22-2009, 10:37pm
Hey Jack I like your take on the Gibson Flower Pot inlay. HaHaHa

~o) :popcorn: