PDA

View Full Version : Bill Graham; From One Mando Picker To Another

grassrootphilosopher
Mar-28-2009, 5:24pm
Bill Graham,

I have taken notice of your work as a journalist from the day that you have been introduced to this site by Scott Tichenor as well as I have taken notice of your pastime, your passion, well, your mandolin-connection.

You are one of us guys, who are trying to make a dollar, that try to get their families fed, that to many leads sort of an average life.

But thereŽs a mutual bond among us, a bond that reaches out, a bond that is as strong as the economical adversities that we all hope to wither, and that is the peace and the colorful feeling we have when we do what we like, to play music, to play the mandolin.

Rest asured that not only you are regarded in high esteem by the way you have so far enlightened us with your bi-weekly columns, but also as a guy that is - in the widest sense of the word - like us, a fellow in the mandolin community.

I feel for you and your situation. Let me not just utter a warm word of sympathy, that would be inappropriate. I have been where you are and I therefore know the harshness of change that has occured to you. I would like to adress your ability, the ability to electrify people with your work (in writing). In the internet world your writing is not only read where you live but many, sometimes thousands of miles away. If you can warm peoples hearts with your work in that manner, I hope that youŽll be able to make people see that their newspaper, their company, their bussines concern lacks without your engagement.

There is a proverb in Germany that may be translated to English as: "Bad folks donŽt know tunes." I am pretty much aware that the ability to work and the ability to bring across a content in an artistic e.g. musical fashion are related, that when you are able to do one you are able to do the other.

Therefore not only you but all of us that are affected by economical downturns may feel blessed to have an advantage before others, our music that induces hope, that is a steady source of inspiration, a valve, an outlet for our emotions and a standby in our hard times.

I wish you luck, Bill. I wish all of you luck that are troubled by the recent times. Though I hope that our music enables us to overcome these trying times better than the poor souls that have to live without it.

stratman62
Mar-28-2009, 6:43pm
well said

mandozilla
Mar-28-2009, 8:17pm
Bill your articles here on the Cafe are a delight to me...I look forward to each new one with great anticipation. You are a talented writer for sure. I hope you keep it up. :grin:

Olaf has expressed my sentiments exactly. Bill, I like Olaf and so many others, have walked in your shoes and I know it ain't no fun. I don't want to give you any flowery platitudes or anything all I'll say is that when I was laid off, it hurt like hell and for awhile I felt useless to my family and a bit less than a whole man (Person?). :(

But, in the end, when I again found gainful employment it was 10X better than the gig I lost. I've been at it for almost 10 years and now my family and me are happy as clams! :grin:

Anyway hang in there Buddy, a man of your talent will find something, and soon, I'm sure. Just keep picking away on that mandolin, it'll help dull the pain. ;)

:mandosmiley:

Randi Gormley
Mar-28-2009, 9:19pm
I have no fancy words like grassroot to offer, just my absolute understanding and hope for better days; every day when what's left of us walk into our decimated newsrooms and look at the desks of the editors and writers who have been eliminated we hurt; we read of papers going down, of dailies going to two days a week or reducing staffs of 200 to 20 on-line stringers and wonder when our time will come, working grimly against the day when we're called in and told to pack up our desks. There is nothing more insulting than to hear from people that 'now you have time to find your passion' because our jobs ARE our passion. The music helps, because music can cry for you and laugh for you and fill that sudden vacuum. Consider this a handgrip across the ether from a fellow journalist and a fellow mandolin player. You fought the good fight and you'll fight again.

Jim
Mar-28-2009, 11:15pm
Bill I always enjoy your articles here on the cafe. You have alot of talent and I'm sure another gig will come your way.

Landgrass
Mar-29-2009, 9:46pm
Bill... I also have found myself in your position. As a graphic artist, I was "downsized" and have been looking for work for almost nine months. Aside from my faith, the mandolin has provided me with a source of enjoyment and contentment I have found in little else. Every Friday at my local jam I can put aside my troubles and just be with friends who look forward to nothing but a good time and good fellowship. You are obviously a talented writer and will no doubt come out on your feet, but until then, let your music, your faith and your relationship with other musicians uplift you. Wishing God's blessings to you. Please keep us abreast of your situation.

P.S. If you need a letter of recommendation, I'm one of your biggest fans.

Peace, David

bgmando
Mar-31-2009, 10:27am
Thanks to Olaf and all who sent kind words in this thread. And I hope others out there without work now take heart from them, too.

Bill Graham

violmando
Apr-01-2009, 8:17am
Bill, I just wanted to say that you said it better than anyone else has said it yet for those of us who are in your situation....I guess that speaks well for your writing talent. You described it so well and how much our music can help us through it all. THANKS for being our voice and wish you the best, Yvonne