PDA

View Full Version : A couple of recordings

Barbara Shultz
Mar-27-2009, 4:28pm
On Wednesday, I went to Congress House recording studio, in Austin (www.congresshouse.com) where my son has recently started interning. It was rather impromptu, luckily, I'd brought some instruments with me to Texas. So, I bought 3 hours of studio time, and we made these two recordings, multi-tracked, me playing all the instruments.

First is Hardiman the Fiddler / Another Jig will do.
Weber Bridger A mandolin - melody
Petersen Octave Mandolin - melody
Petersen Octave Mandolin - chords

This is a relatively new medley for me, and I don't normally play chord accompaniment (as we have a guitar player in the band that usually fills that bill!)....

Second cut is Wren's Hornpipe
Weber Bridger A mandolin - melody
Petersen Octave Mandolin - melody
Vintage Sears Tenor Banjo - melody
Petersen Octave Mandolin - chords

This is a tune we play a lot (for me, I'm usually on a Tenor)... and again, the whole chording deal on the OM was new for me.

After recording and editing, you can hear the click/slide sound of my fingers on the various strings.... Tommy said (a good learning experience for him) that the mic's could have been a little further away, and a louder pre-amp (geek talk to me!)

Anyway, it was a blast....

Barbara

man dough nollij
Mar-27-2009, 5:02pm
Sounds awesome! What tracks did you lay down first?

Barbara Shultz
Mar-27-2009, 5:07pm
Sounds awesome! What tracks did you lay down first?

The first thing we recorded was the medley. I first recorded the mandolin, then the OM (melody) then lastly, the OM chords. On the Wren's Hornpipe, first was Tenor Banjo, then OM melody, then OM chords, then last was the mandolin.

I'd bought 3 hours of studio time, and it took 2 1/2 hours to do all we were with the first, and once we were done with that, he said we had 30 more minutes, so I said, hey, I think I can do Wren's pretty quick, so I didn't do many retakes on that one!

Thanks!
Barb

billkilpatrick
Mar-27-2009, 5:26pm
hats off, barbara - really wonderful stuff ... a total pleasure to hear - complimenti!

my eldest son (in rome) is a sound techie and i've been after him to record what i do for months ... you've just made it imperative the he do.

got the music in you, barbara - no doubt about it.

JEStanek
Mar-27-2009, 6:08pm
Sounds pretty good. Thanks for posting.

Jamie

ronalr
Mar-27-2009, 6:13pm
Very very nice Barb...and the chords sound great from the OM on both tunes.... great tone on all instruments.

JeffD
Mar-28-2009, 1:18am
Very nice. I love the tone on that Bridger and with the Peterson together in unison, very pleasing sound.

Skip Kelley
Mar-28-2009, 6:33am
Barbara, very nice work! They have that cool Irish feel!:)

Ken Olmstead
Mar-28-2009, 10:10am
Very nice Barbara! 3 hours in a studio would be an absolute hoot!!! Thanks!

MandoSquirrel
Mar-28-2009, 12:57pm
Nice job; both sound good.