PDA

View Full Version : newer cast tailpieces

tofuhippo
Aug-03-2004, 11:02pm
I am debating which cast tailpiece i should put on my new mandolin i'm building. I know there are quite a few makers that do a good job. Monteleone, price, allen, weber... but i want to know what your ideas are on the best sounding tailpiece you have used.

thanks

berkeleymando
Aug-04-2004, 12:02am
The new design by Brian Dean (www.bfolk.com) looks interesting.

rosincloud
Aug-08-2004, 5:48am
Folks
#I fitted a solid silver Dean tailpiece together with one of his custom made adjustable ebony bridges just 3 weeks ago to my Freshwater Octave Mandola. It's a subjective view initially whether you have an 'improved' sound, especially with a new set of strings, but . . . now that the strings are well used I can now say that the bridge + tailpiece combination has improved the resonance. I had confirmation of this with several unsolicited comments at Durham (UK) FolkWorks 2004, relating to the 'clarity' or 'harp like quality' that I was achieving (something that was absent the year before with the one piece bridge/plastic saddle and pressed metal tailpiece). To digress slightly, I will probably fit bone inserts to the saddle beneath the bass strings to improve on what I detect as a continued trace of 'muddiness' in the lower course.

#Cheers . . . Rosincloud

John Bertotti
Aug-08-2004, 6:21am
Solid silver tail piece, I didn't realize silver was strong enough to accommodate this use. I thought the tension would bend it over time and maybe even were out the tabs for the string ends. I'm glad its working favorably for you. Definitely opens up new possibilities for me. I like silver. John http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

rosincloud
Aug-09-2004, 1:49am
John
On the Brian Dean tailpiece, the 8 (backward angled) 'posts' for the string loops are short stubs about 1/10" diameter and only about 1/8" high (notched at the back to correctly locate each loop at the stub base). They don't look as though they would bend and would only shear (I suspect) if there was a casting fault/air inclusion. I'm certain Brian would guarantee any item with regard to workmanship.

Regards, Rosincloud.