PDA

View Full Version : Preview Photos

journeybear
Mar-27-2009, 11:24am
Is it possible to preview photos before posting? I don't see how. After uploading, before pressing "Submit Reply," all I see are the "image missing" type icons with the X. I'd like to be able to see how the entire post is going to look before committing, so the layout will look nice - adjust photo sizes to correspond, stuff like that.

Thanks!

JEStanek
Mar-27-2009, 12:18pm
Use the preview post button at the bottom. I don't think you can adjust the size of linked photos. The uploaded ones you would have to remove/manage through the attachment tool (paperclip).

Jamie

journeybear
Mar-27-2009, 12:39pm
Use the preview post button at the bottom. I don't think you can adjust the size of linked photos. The uploaded ones you would have to remove/manage through the attachment tool (paperclip).

Jamie

Hi Jamie

The problem I've been having is that after I click the preview button, all I see are the little icons that tell me a photo is there but not the photo itself. See attached.

I understand the rest - been there, done that, believe me! What I'm trying to do is preview the photos as they will appear once posted without posting first and then editing.

JEStanek
Mar-27-2009, 2:02pm
Odd. Hopefully DanB or Scott will look at this. Are you uploading the acceptable file types, within the allowable file sizes? In your last post the image isn't there for me.

Jamie

journeybear
Mar-27-2009, 2:53pm
Odd. Hopefully DanB or Scott will look at this. Are you uploading the acceptable file types, within the allowable file sizes? In your last post the image isn't there for me.

Jamie

Yes, typically 30k - 100k. I mean, the images always post once I hit "Submit Reply" - it's that they aren't shown in the preview.

The image I sent last time was just the little gif icon that displays next to the filename, for clarification, but you know what I mean. I'm going to try to do a screen shot.

Dang! I don't have Word so I can't attach the screen shot. I can send that from the library tomorrow.

Aha! Did it in Paint. Hard to read, but that's what I see - notice the icon next to the filename, but not the image.

JEStanek
Mar-27-2009, 3:47pm
Sometimes long file names are a problem. If your uploading them, try and trim back some of the file name. That may help too.

Jamie

journeybear
Mar-27-2009, 7:44pm
Sometimes long file names are a problem. If your uploading them, try and trim back some of the file name. That may help too.

Jamie

That's not it either. My filenames are usually short.

Am I the only one who has mentioned this? Perhaps it's something with my computer's settings - cookies or something. I'll try a computer at the library tomorrow.

Thanks for taking time on this. Lawd knows there are bigger issues to think about. Like why the Cafe's clock is more 'n 3 1/2 minutes slow ... :)

JEStanek
Mar-27-2009, 8:03pm
That may be it... I'm sorry I don't have the system parameters in front of me and can only go off what I see and have experienced locally.

Jamie

Bill Snyder
Mar-27-2009, 8:16pm
When I preview with a picture attached it does the same thing.
I think it is the way the preview function is set up. It may just be something you have to deal with.

JEStanek
Mar-27-2009, 8:22pm
This is a test
Jamie

OK. I saw the same thing on upload and preview. However the image was clickable and it opened and the back button brought me back here. Linked images can't be changed for size on the screen. You can always preview your images in an image viewer and view full size for reference and modify them as required. The attached images will have a thumbnail embedded in the post and upon click open to a screen sized version then if clicked again open to full size in an empty window.

Jamie

mandozilla
Mar-27-2009, 11:40pm
Hey Jamie!
Speaking of photos, is there a way to move posts containing photos to a different, or new, thread...I screwed up and posted 6 posts with photos in the wrong thread...and boy do I feel stupid! :confused:

:mandosmiley:

journeybear
Mar-27-2009, 11:52pm
Test

Attached Images womanmando2.jpg (7.6 KB, 0 views)
Caterina Lichtenberg Promo 1.jpg (21.3 KB, 0 views)
JodiMoore.jpg (88.7 KB, 0 views)

I've got three images in a range of sizes, and when I click "Preview Post" I get the same response for all three - just the icons and filenames next to them. Same deal with short filename. Clicking on the icon does not open the image.

Just so you know, this isn't all that important. It would be nice to be able to see how my posts will look, but that's partly due to the time I spent doing editing and layout for a magazine.

I can keep doing what I have been - post and then edit, if needed - but that does seem analogous to a doctor treating the symptom rather than the cause.

I wonder if there's some simple explanation that is so obvious we're overlooking it. :whistling:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, now I'm in edit mode after posting, go advanced, and the images are no longer shown - as expected - replaced by the same list of icons and filenames. I can click on a filename to open an image in a new window. That's all good. I'm trying to be able to preview the entire post, including images, before posting. You see how the middle image isn't as tall as the others? (Of course it's landscape rather than portrait, but ...) In this example I'd like to adjust the size so they line up nice.

That's all ... :)

journeybear
Mar-28-2009, 12:08am
Hey Jamie!
Speaking of photos, is there a way to move posts containing photos to a different, or new, thread...I screwed up and posted 6 posts with photos in the wrong thread...and boy do I feel stupid! :confused:

:mandosmiley:

Mark -

I'm pretty sure that if you go back to your post while you still have the edit option (within something like three hours), click on "go advanced," you can access the "manage attachments" pane and delete the images. If I understand the FAQ, you can't delete a post to a thread - maybe the first post when starting a thread which would then delete the thread (not sure - don't quote me) but then only before someone posts a reply. I think that's what it said. You can delete most of the text too, but you can't leave the text box totally empty, I think you have to have just a few characters. You don't even have to say "Sorry!" but that will work ... ;)

OH!!! Just took a look - I see what you mean. Sometimes it's not wise to be posting late at night ... ;)
You look a little stiff, almost wooden ... :)

Yeah, the time for editing is long past. I believe this is a job for an administrator. I don't know if an admin can move posts in their entirety. You might want to save your work somehow on your computer so you can repost them to the right thread without having to spend the time to recreate them.

Scott Tichenor
Mar-28-2009, 7:52am
I just tested this on this forum and in the official vbulletin support forum and got the exact same preview behavior discussed here. However, there appears there may be a bug that's preventing this but I'm unsure--I see it discussed there but no resolution. I just don't have time to sit and research this right now due to other commitments and probably won't the rest of the weekend. I've emailed Dan so he's aware. I post so little that I don't even recall if this was ever possible but it apparently was.

journeybear
Mar-28-2009, 9:08am
Hi Scott

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I can't remember for sure whether or not this was once possible and has changed, or if it never was possible. As I mentioned a couple of times, it's not a big deal, although it would be nice to enable it.

"Post so little?" 2469 posts? Well, it's all relative, I suppose ... :)

The only other quibble I have with the software is that for some reason the Cafe's clock is 3:47 slow. (Yes, I had a little time on my hands while staving off insomnia last night.) This is based on the difference between the time displayed on a post and on my computer's clock, which as far as I know is set automatically to some standard determined and maintained by a server far, far away. Again, this is a minor consideraton, important only to numerologists and detail-oriented types. One could easily take the viewpoint that if this is all that's "wrong" with the program things are running pretty well!

Have a great day!

Scott Tichenor
Mar-28-2009, 5:38pm
The only other quibble I have with the software is that for some reason the Cafe's clock is 3:47 slow. (Yes, I had a little time on my hands while staving off insomnia last night.) This is based on the difference between the time displayed on a post and on my computer's clock, which as far as I know is set automatically to some standard determined and maintained by a server far, far away. Again, this is a minor consideraton, important only to numerologists and detail-oriented types. One could easily take the viewpoint that if this is all that's "wrong" with the program things are running pretty well!

User CP > Date & Time Options (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions):

All timestamps displayed on the forums can be automatically corrected to show the correct time for your location in the world. Simply select the appropriate time zone from the list below.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-28-2009, 5:54pm
You might want to go here (http://www.time.gov/) as well to make sure your clock is really being set. You should be an even number of hours off the clock on the server if your time zone is off. I guess it's possible that server clock is off, I'll know after I post this.

My desktop disagrees with the server by 3 minutes. I'll see if I'm on as well. The server appears to be 3 minutes of that time difference.

journeybear
Mar-31-2009, 9:17am
Looks like the answer to my first question had been hanging out there all along in Miscellaneus Stuff - How to post an image in your post - just hadn't looked there. Post #1 - gotta love it! :redface:

Any luck with the time discrepancy?

Thanks!

02-20-2004, 08:59 AM #1
Scott Tichenor
Site owner

Click on Add Reply at top of page, next to New Topic. When that page opens, type in your post message and at the bottom of the page there is an option to attach a file. Click on browse and locate your jpeg image on your hard drive, highlight it and click on Open. Thats it.

Remember, images do not show up in Preview Mode.

Barbara Shultz
Mar-31-2009, 9:36am
So... I'll ask this question here. I see that you can (and most people do) attach their photos as thumbnails, that you then click on (which I usually DON'T) to open (I guess) larger in another window.

I prefer my fullsize photos to be in my posts.. and THAT is how I do it. No administrator has chided me for doing so, so I guess it's OK to do it that way??

Anyway, if you do it THAT way, when you preview, the photos show up... I do it by using the 'insert an image' icon at above the window you type your message in....

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc226/barbarashultz/collingsback.jpg

In order to do it this way, you have to have the photo on a website somewhere, but I just use photobucket free image hosting, edit them first in photoshop, upload them to photobucket, then insert the image...

Barb

MikeEdgerton
Mar-31-2009, 10:16am
Barb, here's the number one problem with your method. The day that the image is no longer on Photobucket or the other website then the image is no longer available to the members. They will simply see something like this:

http://www.spoof.com/images/myimageilovesomuch.jpg

That's not the end of the world but it does play havoc when the image title is something like "Here's a very rare image of me and Bill Monroe trading licks". The record is gone for future generations of mandolin players that might want to see what that looked like.

The second problem isn't as much of a problem as it used to be and that's slow connections like dial up. It's a heck of a lot easier to get that thumbnail image up and decide if you want to look at the picture before you commit to it.

Beyond that, the reason nobody has said anything is because we don't see it as a sin. It's your choice.

journeybear
Mar-31-2009, 10:25am
Ohhh! Is that how it's done? Becasuse sometimes the photos I post show up as thumbnails, sometimes not - and if it's the latter and they don't enlarge then it's hard to see details. I'll have to try that - put them up on my myspace page and then transfer from there. Thanks, Barb.

Lawdy, all this techanickal stuff - I just wanted to play the mandolin, maybe yak about it a bit ... :grin:

Barbara Shultz
Mar-31-2009, 10:41am
Barb, here's the number one problem with your method. The day that the image is no longer on Photobucket or the other website then the image is no longer available to the members. They will simply see something like this:

http://www.spoof.com/images/myimageilovesomuch.jpg

That's not the end of the world but it does play havoc when the image title is something like "Here's a very rare image of me and Bill Monroe trading licks". The record is gone for future generations of mandolin players that might want to see what that looked like.

The second problem isn't as much of a problem as it used to be and that's slow connections like dial up. It's a heck of a lot easier to get that thumbnail image up and decide if you want to look at the picture before you commit to it.

Beyond that, the reason nobody has said anything is because we don't see it as a sin. It's your choice.

Good, I'm glad I'm not breaking any rules! Good observations, both... most of what I post wouldn't be terribly missed, if it quit being there.... and hopefully photobucket won't dissaper!

I usually downsize my photo so that it's not complete huge.... and its hard for me to even imagine dialup these days!

Barb

MikeEdgerton
Mar-31-2009, 11:45am
I'm sure that at some point when files are no longer being accessed Photobucket cleans house. I wouldn't be putting important stuff out there and assuming it will be there forever. Companies that offer free services can and do die. With that said, if it wasn't allowed the the button wouldn't be there. The other side of that coin is that some sites will actually disable links to images on their sites. Disney is famous for it.

The plus side for Scott is that the images don't take up any space on the cafe servers.

Scott Tichenor
Mar-31-2009, 8:55pm
Space on this server, trust me, is not an issue.

Jim Broyles
Mar-31-2009, 9:04pm
Must have one of those Binford servers. :grin:

journeybear
Apr-10-2009, 3:50pm
Hey!

It looks like you fixed the photo preview problem! At least that's how it looked last night, though I was a little sleepy at the time ...:sleepy: I don't know if you meant to but I'm giving you credit anyway. :grin:

Ta da!!! :mandosmiley: