PDA

View Full Version : please help identify this mandolin

smeyers
Mar-27-2009, 8:16am
I have enclosed pictures of a mandolin I have been given and hope you can tell me something about it. Is it a good one and what it might be worth. Inside is a label which reads "material workmanship by washburn instruments" above the paper sticker inside the mandolin is another sticker that reads by grunewald music co. new orleans.
thanks in advance
sally

Capt. E
Mar-27-2009, 8:49am
Gruenwald is of course the seller. I believe this was made by the Lyon and Healy people for Washburn. Pretty much the same company at the time. 1920's??

barney 59
Mar-27-2009, 3:04pm
Grunewald is listed as a maker --(Rene Grunewald New Orleans La. 1894 -1901 +) in Michael Holme's list. In this instance they are crediting Washburn (Lyon and Healey) with some part of it. I have found that some companies listed as manufacturers were really just music stores after all and didn't really manufacture the instruments that they branded. The money was in the sheet music that they loaded you up with when they sold you an instrument. Who knows about this one? We'll,for a change they actually say--it's pretty much a Lyon and Healey and c1900.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-27-2009, 3:13pm
It's an L&H product. There are catalog pages in Hubert Pleijsier's Washburn Book (http://www.amazon.com/Washburn-Prewar-Instrument-Styles-Pleijsier/dp/157424227X) that show it. I don't have it here with me at work, I'll see if I can find it tonight. Hubert is a member of the Cafe. I have to agree with Paul Hostetter, it's a great book. Well worth the money.

Bill Snyder
Mar-27-2009, 8:56pm
From what little I know about bowlbacks it appears that this would be a lower line model. Monetary value would be low. $1-200 if it is in good, playable shape.