PDA

View Full Version : Ozark Tenor Guitar Question

bretterb
Mar-26-2009, 10:04am
Hi. Can anyone tell me what type of strings (ball or loop end) the Ozark Tenor Guitars take?

Also, if you have one tuned GDAE, what string sizes are you using?

I'm planning to try 046w, .036w, .024w, .015.

Mine is on its way from England...shipping was a bit expensive to the US!

I really wanted a TenorTone (Fletcher Instruments), but due to financial limitations at this time I had to go with the Ozark which seems to get the best reviews of the cheaper models available, and is about the same scale length.

Thanks!

-Brett

Martin Jonas
Mar-27-2009, 5:39pm
The Ozark takes ball-end strings. I have mine tuned to GDAE, using d'Addario singles from highlystrung.co.uk, and I'm very happy with the combination I have now. I've chopped and changed a bit, and I've forgotten precisely what I ended up with, but I think it's 46w-34w-24w-14.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it -- it's a lovely guitar in looks, playability and tone!

Martin

bretterb
Mar-27-2009, 11:18pm
Thanks Martin! I ended up ordering .45w, .35w, .24w, .14 (they didn't have 46 and 34 for some reason).

-brett

Falcon
Mar-27-2009, 11:52pm
Hi. Can anyone tell me what type of strings (ball or loop end) the Ozark Tenor Guitars take?

Also, if you have one tuned GDAE, what string sizes are you using?

I'm planning to try 046w, .036w, .024w, .015.

Mine is on its way from England...shipping was a bit expensive to the US!

I really wanted a TenorTone (Fletcher Instruments), but due to financial limitations at this time I had to go with the Ozark which seems to get the best reviews of the cheaper models available, and is about the same scale length.

Thanks!

-Brett

On my tenor guitar tuned to G-D-A-E I am using Phosphor Bronze wound strings G-.046w D-.032w A-.022w E-.012 and it sound pretty good. I play it in Bluegrass Jam Sessions pure acoustic. The tenor is an old Harmony.
Falcon

bretterb
Apr-01-2009, 10:24pm
I got my Ozark today.

Thought I'd mention a couple of things for anyone else (in the US) considering getting one...

1. Shipping was expensive ($120).
2. The USPS charged me another $50 for import duties and "handling."

So...it ended up being about $440 total, which isn't horrible, but is more than I was planning on (I thought it'd be around $350).

3. Bridge pins seem like a very antiquated and imprecise way of keeping strings in place. This is the first stringed instrument I've had with a fixed bridge, so I hadn't encountered them before, but it seems like someone could have figured something better out by now. :) Actually, I guess I do have a baritone ukulele with a fixed bridge, but it's strings tie down.

Aside from the above, I love it. I've got it tuned to GDAE now (after puzzling out the bridge pins), and it sounds good. The case it comes with is good.

-Brett

bretterb
Apr-12-2009, 6:13pm
http://faculty.ivytech.edu/~bpfingst/ozark.jpg

JeffD
Apr-12-2009, 11:40pm
Pretty