PDA

View Full Version : Dampening strings to suppress unwanted harmonics

H.P.
Mar-25-2009, 8:18am
Hello to all. I have read and enjoyed the forum for several months, but this is my first attempt at posting a new thread.

I am curious about the effect of using string dampeners (grommets) or other devices placed on the strings between the bridge and tailpiece to suppress unwanted harmonic overtones. I have done this (placed grommets) on my MK Legacy Plus and believe it has made my electronic tuner easier to use. However, claims are made for how various tailpieces improve tone. MK's claim for its tailpiece states that it "provides increased tone, ringing sustain and volume."

I'm wondering if dampening the strings has any negative effect on the tailpiece's ability to "enhance" tone, etc.? Or are claims for tailpieces exaggerated?

Paul

JEStanek
Mar-25-2009, 9:26am
Welcome To the Café, Paul.

The overtones aren't what a cast tailpiece allegedly/arguably provides by tonal enhancement. Some folks feel the extra mass helps with sustain. I think you get better tonal enhance by having a well fit bridge for optimal volume. Different saddle materials (bone or aluminum) may provide tonal changes. The least expensive way to adjust your tone is by changing strings and picks.

Jamie

Tim2723
Mar-25-2009, 9:38am
Ditto that. Indeed, probably the last thing you would want is to enhance any undesireable characteristics, like sympathetic vibrations (assuming of course, that you don't want them to begin with).

mandozilla
Mar-25-2009, 8:20pm
Hello Paul and welcome aboard.

Besides possibly better sustain like Jamie said, a cast tail piece, I believe, shouldn't contribute to any buzzing or rattling (if you like rattling, put a rattlesnake rattle in your box :))) that you may get from a 'traditional' Gibson style 2 piece tail piece. :grin:

I used the rubber grommets to supress wolf tones for awhile but switched over to the little buckskin strip thingamajig. ;)

It's purtier and less conspicuous. Those little black rubber grommets do nothing to enhance the beauty of your/my mando IMHO. :))

:mandosmiley:

Paul Statman
Mar-25-2009, 11:32pm
I've used the weave, the grommets, and now I use the Weber Wood Nymph. I cut mine and drilled a new hole, because I didn't want it sitting askew or too close to the bridge.