PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a "New" Old One

wmferg
Mar-23-2009, 7:04pm
Hello everybody.

I just a bought a mandolin, an American Conservatory bowl back, or "tater-bug". Trying to figure out a date when it was made, I purchased a book on pre-war Washburn Instruments, which...much to my disappointment, didn't talk much about the American Conservatory brand much at all (I GET that it was a book on Washburn instruments, specifically...but as they are related, I was hoping it would have more information). I know it has to be prior to 1924 (when they stopped making bowl back mandolins) and I actually think it is late 1800's...but I would really like to get more specific. One good thing about buying the book, I was able to date my L&H Style C to 1917 based on the headstock design, which was very cool!

Anyway...I know there a many experts on here...so I figured I would ask for some help.

It is a beauty and I am very pleased with the price at which I was able to acquire it. I LOVE old instruments and for some reason I have developed a real liking for the Lyon & Healy brand, not sure why...may have a lot to do with the fact that I have never played a pre-war Gibson. Anyway...any tips would be appreciated. If you all are willing to help a fellow mando-lover out, just tell me where to start.

wmferg
Mar-23-2009, 7:08pm
Hey y'all.

Here a photo! Ain't she loverly!?!

Mike

JEStanek
Mar-23-2009, 7:27pm
Nice! I have an American Conservatory as well but not that fancy. Hopefully Mike Edgerton, Jake Wildwood, or Jim Garber will chime in. They're more knowledgeable than me on these old mandolins. They have cool voices, at least mine does, too.

Jamie

PS. Mine is in the (current as of this date) avatar!

Schlegel
Mar-23-2009, 9:49pm
Is the bowl lined with cloth or paper? Paper is before 1915, IIRC, then L&H switched to cloth.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-23-2009, 10:01pm
These (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=American+Conservatory&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) threads will give you some information and these (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=American+Conservatory&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=0&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) treads will give you more but you'll have to dog for it.

This is Jim Garber's realm, he may be able to hook you up with a catalog page.

mandozilla
Mar-23-2009, 10:16pm
Mike
She's a pretty little thing, how does she sound. BTW, I too have a fondness for old american mandolins...I don't what it is about them, maybe it's my daydreamer side wondering what they've been through, where they've been, who played them and so on. I haven't aquired any yet but I plan to...but I gotta figure out a way to get around my better half's "What do you need another mandolin for" mentality...:))

:mandosmiley:

JeffD
Mar-23-2009, 10:40pm
Aren't they great. I have an American Conservatory and I love it. Very pretty sound to it.

keef
Mar-24-2009, 4:17am
Hello everybody.

I just a bought a mandolin, an American Conservatory bowl back, or "tater-bug". Trying to figure out a date when it was made, I purchased a book on pre-war Washburn Instruments, which...much to my disappointment, didn't talk much about the American Conservatory brand much at all (I GET that it was a book on Washburn instruments, specifically...but as they are related, I was hoping it would have more information). I know it has to be prior to 1924 (when they stopped making bowl back mandolins) and I actually think it is late 1800's...but I would really like to get more specific. One good thing about buying the book, I was able to date my L&H Style C to 1917 based on the headstock design, which was very cool!

Sorry about the lack of AC information in the book - the number of other Lyon & Healy made models and their variances over the years is so large that it would have taken many more years to figure these all out as well. Unlike the Washburns most of these cheaper styles were not pictured in the L&H catalogs. This only leaves you with brief descriptions of the models and only little visual clues.

Since your mandolin looks like one of the more expensive AC models, it may well have been pictured in the catalogs at some time. If Jim Garber cannot find it I suggest you contact Neil Russell, a Canadian luthier, who has the biggest L&H catalog collection that I know of.

Based on its appearance I would tend to date your mando to the 1895-1905 period. Many AC's have a serial number - take a look inside the bowl and see if you can locate it on the neck block. If you post it here, we can tell you a little more.

Great that you have a Style C - I am hoping to own one of those carved back mandos once.

Capt. E
Mar-24-2009, 9:23am
Is that the one on Ebay? I saw that too. Very nice.

Elliot Luber
Mar-24-2009, 10:42am
Schweet looking instrument!

wmferg
Mar-24-2009, 10:45am
Thanks for the help, everyone. It is very much appreciated. I will take a look and post the serial number tonight.

One can always count on the Cafe members to come through!

Mike