PDA

View Full Version : Singing / harmony question

Patrick Bouldin
Mar-23-2009, 3:43pm
Sorry this is not reallty a mando question. But, on a google about harmony I found the following statement:

"it is also quite common, when the lead is in the middle, to have the lead singer move to tenor for the chorus. This adds to that "high lonesome" sound. The goal is almost always to keep the lead and tenor parts close."

True? Does he mean that the melody singer moves up to tenor, and sings tenor with the other guy singing tenor? Or do they swap?

Thanks,
Patrick

Gerry Hastie
Mar-23-2009, 3:49pm
I think it changes. If you take, for example, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome Bill Monroe sings tenor on the verse and lead in the chorus. If you take I'm On My Way Back To The Old Home he sings lead on the verse then tenor in the chorus. Mandolin players seem to do the tenor bits often. To answer your question it seems like a swap most of the time.

Jordan Ramsey
Mar-23-2009, 4:01pm
I think it changes. If you take, for example, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome Bill Monroe sings tenor on the verse and lead in the chorus. If you take I'm On My Way Back To The Old Home he sings lead on the verse then tenor in the chorus. Mandolin players seem to do the tenor bits often. To answer your question it seems like a swap most of the time.

Correct. I think the reason for this was to keep the "lead" voice out in front during both verse and chorus.

Patrick Bouldin
Mar-23-2009, 4:21pm
Ok, thanks. So it sounds to me like you lose the intended melody a bit, but I guess that's what basically is defining the intended affect. Thanks a bunch!

Patrick

mandozilla
Mar-23-2009, 5:20pm
Hello Patrick and welcome to the Cafe!
There really is no hard and fast rule in this regard. It really depends on the situation and what sounds best. It's true that generally the lead singer will sing lead on the verses and chorus. :grin:

I've sung in groups where I was the only one that could hit the tenor part but I was also the lead singer. I'd sing lead on the verses and tenor on the choruses. Sometimes I'd sing lead in a higher key with another singer singing low tenor to me. ;)

If you're the only tenor singer in the band, you can't swap back and forth on duets with harmony on the verses and chorus (or just verses if the song is all verses) but the duo could, I guess, sing high lead/low tenor throughout though I've not done this. I hope that helped and didn't just confuse you. :))

I assume you're talking bluegrass here :confused: if so, probably should have put this in the bluegrass forum.

:mandosmiley: