PDA

View Full Version : Tap tuning - True Strobe Tuners from Sonic Research

Herb H
Mar-22-2009, 11:43am
I'm pretty sure it was on this forum that I've read plausible and persuasively expressed views that for tap tuning one must have a "real" strobe tuner. And that real strobe tuner is not available or affordable -- I forget which. I've also run across ads and references to a couple of models of "True Strobe Tuners" from Sonic Research. I found no reference to these tuners in a search here.

In addition to claiming to be true strobe tuners, they claim a very rapid response -- which I recall as a bugaboo in attempts at tap tuning with electronically simulated strobes. Does anyone here know whether these "True Strobe Tuners" are usable for tap tuning?

Michael Lewis
Mar-23-2009, 12:42am
You are right that there was a thread about tap tuning and strobe tuners.
As I recall the consensus was that the "tones" don't last long enough to get a usable response. There are programs available via the internet that will "read" your taps through a microphone and your computer, so you can take your time and look at the graphs to study your plate response.

man dough nollij
Mar-23-2009, 12:53am
How does a strobe tuner work? Sounds interesting.

labraid
Mar-23-2009, 1:30am
Demarcated wheels spinning at fixed speed, illuminated with light pulses at the frequency of the sound input.. When the pulses and the speed of the wheels match, it's kind of like watching an animation: the line will appear still if in tune, or going backwards if flat, etc.. Like Hollywood car rims spinning backward out of time with the film rate/sec. God I miss analog............

Gail Hester
Mar-23-2009, 2:31am
The StroboSoft software tuner has custom features for tap tuning that work very well, IMO. Lots of details here:

http://www.siminoff.net/parts/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=c03bf6eb1d6cc42166fa38bd77fcac57

Herb H
Mar-23-2009, 2:42pm
Thanks. I'd forgotten, but I bought that "Art of Tap Tuning" book and haven't watched the dvd yet -- if that's what it is.
HH