PDA

View Full Version : specifics about Breedlove Columbia (premier line)

DerTiefster
Mar-22-2009, 3:06am
I acquired a Breedlove KO sunburst (like the Columbia now on Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz, CA) a couple of days ago. Breedlove's site gives '96 as the changeover to a 4-digit (now 5-digot) serial number system. This mando has three digits. 143. Breedlove gives specs for standard Quartz KO as with Saga tuners. Mine has 16:1 and look like Schallers (as sped'd for Columbia). No "Columbia" on label. In fact, nothing but Breedlove, S.Henderson and K. Breedlove typeset names and long-hand initials, longhand "143" serial no., and Tunalo address. Sylvan's Columbia is recent with 5-digit serial no., "Columbia" model called out, and Bend, Oregon address. Came with a great, form-fitting hardshell case. Sounds great. Non-fattening. Seller believes it is a Columbia. I'm checking. I'll probably be able to talk to Breedlove Monday, but i'm now looking for additional info.

As you might tell, I'm looking for yes/no on "is this a Columbia?" I'd like to get the newer tailpiece fitted in place of the stamped one (my expense, of course) if it is an early Columbia. I just want the details to fall into place. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-22-2009, 6:29am
Just a correction, in case it wasn't a typo, Tumalo (with an M) is a town outside Bend.

DerTiefster
Mar-22-2009, 8:49am
It was a typo. Tumalo. I'd misremembered which vendor had the clearly readable label, too. It was Acoustic Vibes (from whom I came agonizingly close to buying a Collings MT earlier in my search). Their Columbia label clearly lists "Bend, Oregon" as the principal Breedlove address, gives a 5-digit serial number reasonably following the serialization pattern shown on Breedlove's site, and identifies the mandolin as a "Columbia." My mandolin label just as clearly cites Tumalo (when I can type), gives a three-digit serial number not following Breedlove's site "dating guide," and doesn't mention Columbia. If the attached photo violates anyone's rights, please remove it, but I think Acoustic Vibes and Breedlove might both be happy to see it here.... Same for Sylvan's sunburst Columbia (like mine in appearance but theirs has the better tailpiece).

Mine is a really pretty-sounding mandolin, but my ears aren't attuned to the descriptions and definitions some others use (and sometimes about which they even seem to have a common understanding.) And I even added its label to the set...

MandoSquirrel
Mar-22-2009, 12:24pm
More info than you gave at the other site; reinforces my suspicions. I think this is a VERY early "KO" model, before they introduced the " Columbia" name. AS I understand it, this is not equivalent to the Quartz KO now made, but basically a near custom instrument, AT LEAST of Premier class quality/status, if not Master class. Of course, I could be wrong, Dod or others from Breedlove should be able to tell you as much as can be told.

DerTiefster
Mar-22-2009, 12:49pm
I just gathered these photos together this a.m. before church. I have come to hope that the mandolin I have is as you are speculating. It certainly has a fine sound to it. I thought that without a year marker on the label, it must be the 143rd or so mandolin the Breedlove Guitar company made. With Henderson and Breedlove's initials applied, I came to think (starting about Saturday a.m.) that this could a very nearly custom product from masters of the craft. I'm still amazed at how pristine the finish is. It must have been essentially untouched most of its life. I just snapped the photo of the #143 label this a.m. (7th of 7 tries, of course).

MandoSquirrel
Mar-22-2009, 1:28pm
...I thought that without a year marker on the label, it must be the 143rd or so mandolin the Breedlove Guitar company made. ...

Either that or the 143rd Instrument from the Breedlove Guitar company.

DerTiefster
Mar-22-2009, 1:49pm
Because I plan to keep it for (well, I was looking for my "last" mandolin, or possibly its backup) a while, I wanted to search out its story so I had one to tell to the (as yet nonexistent) grandkids. I'm looking for info. If I have stumbled into an early piece of Breedlove's corporate history, it makes for a really nice story. The seller to me had sketchy info about the owner previous to him, but it adds a bit of color to the tale -- an Italian connection to mesh with our family vehicles, Alfa Romeos.

I hope to get info from the start of the tale from Breedlove. I'll be sending out queries tonight/tomorrow. And Breedlove's site gives 1999 as the serialization change-over from yy-nnn to sequential numbering, not 1996. Brain fade strikes again.

DerTiefster
Mar-23-2009, 10:00am
<Content deleted by request of the poster>