PDA

View Full Version : Finger speed/strength/coordination?

cedarhog
Mar-21-2009, 2:23pm
I was wondering if "gripmasters" are a good thing to use to gain strength,speed and coordination. I realize that time behind the mandolin will do the best things for this, but I was looking for something to do when I'm not around the mandolin(driving or watching tv). They come in many different tensions 5,7,9 and 11lbs. What do you think would it better to build speed on a 7lb or 9lb or go for the monster 11lbs?

If there is something better...please share.:mandosmiley:

mando.player
Mar-21-2009, 3:25pm
I'm not so sure these are going to build speed. They will build endurance though. I'm of the opinion that speed comes from technique not strength. That's not to say these devices are bad. I've got two different types and use them to warm up and cool down on most days.

cedarhog
Mar-21-2009, 3:50pm
Yeah I was thinking that. My fingers are actually plenty strong. I was thinking maybe if I got a less tension one I could work on doing different combinations as fast a possible while it had a little resistance.

mandozilla
Mar-21-2009, 4:36pm
Cedarhog
I use the light one now and then just to try to get more strength and coordination out of my pinky and it has definately in those regards but I don't need it for #1 thru #3.:grin:

:mandosmiley:

EggyToast
Mar-24-2009, 12:55pm
Good for warmup -- gets the blood flowing, gets the muscles used. Don't set it so that they kill your fingers (obviously).

But they build up strength, not speed. Even then, if you had speed but no accuracy, it wouldn't help you one bit. That kind of practice just needs a mandolin -- probably a good thing to practice while working on right-hand technique.