PDA

View Full Version : i dare you ...

billkilpatrick
Mar-21-2009, 5:21am
... double dare you! ... to play "macarthur park" in it's entirety, on the mandolin - not the cozy, down-home, perfectly sane, waylon jennings version but the full-blown, wagner-webbian, rockin'rococo, cremasteric muscle spraining one!

gauntlet's down ... been driving me nuts - bill

Joel Spaulding
Mar-21-2009, 5:28am
Bill, you receive +5 points just for your pejorative use of esoteric anatomical terms! ;)

Now I have to go find a recording- I have yet to post a video - and this may not yet be "the one" but you caught me on my first ~o) and your gauntlet is hard to ignore!

:popcorn:

mandozilla
Mar-21-2009, 7:56pm
Oh Yeah! Well I Double Dog dare ya'! :))

:mandosmiley:

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-21-2009, 9:40pm
Someone backed a cake.......

Chris Travers
Mar-21-2009, 9:46pm
Yeah Well I Double DAWG Dare You!

Yes! I thought of it first!!!

Chris

billkilpatrick
Mar-22-2009, 5:10am
alas - dares of any sort are beyond me now. after exposing myself to "macarthur park" i suffer from chord shock ... PCSS ... (post chord stampede syndrome) ... i weep uncontrollably - for no reason. doctor's have suggested a return to basics - try to reconnect ...

... old macdonald must have had a huge spread.

Bruce Clausen
Mar-22-2009, 7:52pm
Been watching Youtube in vain all day for a rash of new 7 minute solo mandolin videos. Well, here's some of the easier bits at least-- kinda short on the rockin' rococo. But somehow I don't think this is the sort of thing our instrument does best. Maybe a mandolin orchestra project for someone?

X5-l9Amcc8Y

billkilpatrick
Mar-23-2009, 3:44am
bravo bruce! as demonstrated, it's a beautiful song, beautifully played - shame the original was so over the top.

may we expect your obergruppen-allesnotezerthumpin version sometime soon?

Chris Travers
Mar-23-2009, 7:54am
Nice Bruce! Love the high notes at the end! I can never get mine to sound that clear!

JeffD
Mar-23-2009, 8:00am
The tune is a lot better than the words!

billkilpatrick
Mar-23-2009, 11:25am
The tune is a lot better than the words!

the lyrics are quirky - no doubt - but they address a time and an experience that - hopefully - no one goes through twice. if it never happened to you, the words must seem silly ... very weird indeed.

imho ... the original suffers from over-kill - too much of everything, musicality included. there's a youtube video of jim webb singing and playing it unaccompanied on piano. although complex (he plays all the parts) this performance is closer to what i think he had in mind when he first wrote it - more of a young man's broken-hearted lament than a shirt-rending, melodramatic leap from the ramparts.

wayne newton - mr. dankashoen himself - does a version that is positively toe curling ... you've been warned. waylon jenning's version is ok ... the "four tops" version is good ... wasn't too wild about donna summer's take ... and there's a slew of silly spoofs as well.

... but i'd say for genuine soulfulness ... the above from bruce takes the (heh) cake.

- bill*