PDA

View Full Version : What % of the music you listen to has no mando content?

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-20-2009, 4:50pm
I would say I listen toon a monthly basis about 20% mando related.The rest has no mando content like the Jazz,Classical,Classic Rock,Old Time and other music I listen to. How much music do you listen to that has no mando content?

This does no mean my MF5 is not always at arms reach . I can say there is more then 80% live music then recorded listen to.:))

mandozilla
Mar-20-2009, 4:56pm
That's odd Tone, I'd say that 20% of the music I listen to has no mandolin content...I guess I'm pretty much 'mandocentric' :))

I was listening to some old Hank W. music on the way to work that I thought would have no mandolin content...I was wrong. :disbelief:

I need to get out more often...:grin:

:mandosmiley:

Jim MacDaniel
Mar-20-2009, 5:11pm
I'd say about 80% of the music I buy nowadays has mandolin content, but across all of the music sources I listen to (CD, MP3, radio, XM, etc.), maybe only about 20% has mandolin content.

rekx
Mar-20-2009, 5:13pm
right now...I would say that 90% of my music has mando content.

JeffD
Mar-20-2009, 5:18pm
I would break my casual listening down like this:

25% old timey, traditional (includes Celtic, Eastern European, and whatever else), with some BG folded in, and a dash of classic country music (Hank or Patsy). The traditional is mostly fiddle tunes, played on the fiddle. Most of the OT is without a manolin, being mostly bano and fiddle, guitar maybe, and perhaps a bass.

So say about a third of that has mandolin in it.

15% Western Swing, my latest obsession - and that has some eletric mandolin in it, but not always.

So say half of that has mandolin in it.

All the rest of my casual listening, 60%, is classical, especially the chamber music of Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert, the tangos of Astor Piazzolla, and the classical mandolin repertory.

So lets say that abot 5% of my classical listening has mandolin.

0% pop, or rock, or modern country music. Every now and again when driving, I will put the radio on scan, and bump into some old familiar rock or pop tune, and sometimes I will hear it out, but not usually.

My only regret is jazz, which I used to listen to but which seems to have lost its hold on me.

So with all of that, the amount of music that has a mandolin in it, and that mandolin content being the reason I am listening, doing the math, comes to 18 to 20% of my total casual listening.

John Flynn
Mar-20-2009, 5:29pm
I own a lot of non-mando music that I listened to at one time, but I would say my listening has migrated to at least 95% mandolin stuff. FWIW, only a very small percentage of the mando stuff I own is bluegrass and I find I hardly listen to bluegrass at all any more. I mostly listen to mandolin music that is Irish, Scottish, old-time and the genre with the questionable title "world music."

billkilpatrick
Mar-20-2009, 5:49pm
almost all the music i listen to (motown, medieval and whatever else grabs my fancy) has zero mandolin content ... playing same on mandolin and trying to make it sound ok is what i enjoy.

Pete Martin
Mar-20-2009, 6:30pm
0% mandolin (I listen to Jazz).

fishdawg40
Mar-20-2009, 7:28pm
0% mandolin (I listen to Jazz).

I'm with you, but probably only 25% of the time ;)

I'm probably 50% though of non-mandolin. But I can't really tell. Things change.

fredfrank
Mar-20-2009, 8:11pm
All of the music I listen to has mandolin. Some does not have banjo, however.

Sorry, B***jo. See post below:

mandozilla
Mar-20-2009, 9:28pm
Uh Fred, that would be B***O. :)):)):))
:mandosmiley:

barney 59
Mar-20-2009, 9:43pm
Duke,Benny,Count--Rev Gary Davis,Charlie Patton,Blind Lemon Jefferson,Geoff Muldaur and Andy Statman---that was today--- so, 10% about. Anyone know if Eric Clapton is in the Bay Area right now? There was a guy in a porche down the street with a pretty girl in the car and while I was checking out the girl, I mean the car-- I realized that the guy was Eric Clapton, either that or his double.

Chris Biorkman
Mar-20-2009, 9:44pm
I'd say about 50/50.

JEStanek
Mar-20-2009, 10:00pm
My Public Enemy, Cramps, Beethoven and Coltrane don't have mandolin. The Dawg, Compton, Thile, and Statman do. I listen to almost everything. I don't think of it in terms of %ages. I think of it in terms of what's right for the moment. That may cover 80% of my music by genre. The music I play is 90% mandolin and 10% uke.

Jamie

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-20-2009, 11:20pm
My Public Enemy, Cramps, Beethoven and Coltrane don't have mandolin. The Dawg, Compton, Thile, and Statman do. I listen to almost everything. I don't think of it in terms of %ages. I think of it in terms of what's right for the moment. That may cover 80% of my music by genre. The music I play is 90% mandolin and 10% uke.

Jamie

About The Cramps. Wish I played played mandolin when I toured with them in the early 80's, that might have shook up the ol' goo goo muck.I do still wear sunglasses after dark, that's so cool. What color.......oh that's enough Cramps fans will understand.

nate w
Mar-20-2009, 11:35pm
I would say 90%, has mando, theres the Thile musics and the Fleck &Sam Bush, stuff that i jam to with the wife, then there is the Grisman that i pay undivided attention too, and i've really began to explore Celtic lately. I still listen to alot of stuff from the alt/country genre though.

Jill McAuley
Mar-21-2009, 12:30am
I pretty much listen to Irish trad stuff exclusively nowadays (occasionally play some old punk stuff in the car), but most of the trad stuff has very little mandolin content barring a few tunes by Mick Moloney, Brian Kelly and Seamus Egan. I do listen to alot of banjo players, fiddlers and pipers. If I had to break it down to percentages I'd reckon that around 5% of what I listen to has mandolin content.

Cheers,
Jill

Rhinestone
Mar-21-2009, 3:20am
At some point when you learn your way around an instrument and can pretty much play anything you can musically understand when you hear it (and that could be a lot or a little),you can get further into being yourself by concentrating on just music in general and applying it to mandolin. But if you get too narrow,too obsessed,too close to what everyone else is doing on a given instrument for too long a time,you start playing a sort of inbred garden variety version of that instead of just "playing music". But to answer the question I'd say around 20% mando content - and that would consist of listening/watching Evan Marshall and Carlo Aonzo and trying to soak up a smattering of their technique. The rest of the time I listen to a variety of things like classical music,bebop,western swing,Celtic,40s big band,Sinatra,tin pan alley/American songbook as well as Greek,Italian,Brazilian,etc,etc........and try to play it on the various stringed instruments I claim to play. That's the path I've chosen - for what it's worth.

Steve L
Mar-21-2009, 7:00am
I pretty much listen to Irish trad stuff exclusively nowadays (occasionally play some old punk stuff in the car), but most of the trad stuff has very little mandolin content barring a few tunes by Mick Moloney, Brian Kelly and Seamus Egan. I do listen to alot of banjo players, fiddlers and pipers. If I had to break it down to percentages I'd reckon that around 5% of what I listen to has mandolin content.

Cheers,
Jill

This is pretty much the same for me. When I decided to play Irish music, coming from a guitar background and realizing playing melody was really crucial, I decided the mandolin was the best tool for the job at hand. I really love the instrument but it's always been a means to an end for me. I've been playing tenor banjo more these days as mandos get lost in sessions easily.

Jill, you should check out Luke Plumb's new CD...traditional tunes with a more modern feel with just mandolin and percussion. Really great playing.

JeffD
Mar-21-2009, 9:29am
I pretty much listen to Irish trad stuff exclusively nowadays

I know how that is. I went through a time where that was all I listened to. This was back before CDs, and I still have a stack, a huge stack of LPs, with everyone, Bothy Band, Planxty, Chieftans, and I don't know what all. Just tons of stuff.

mandroid
Mar-21-2009, 10:43am
Thanks to the Internet , I can find a variety of great stiff , happen to be listening to a Dudley Moore
piece of musical comedy genius on the piano . preceded by a dramatic reading of Orwell's Animal Farm written for radio..

Mostly I listen to inescapable Tinnitus .. :crying:

JeffD
Mar-21-2009, 10:47am
Mostly I listen to inescapable Tinnitus .. :

I am sorry to hear that. I have a good friend who has it in both ears real bad, and the doctors can't seem to find an underlying physical problem. Not fun at all.

catmandu2
Mar-21-2009, 11:49am
I'm with the jazzers 95% of the time.

Bud, Monk, Mingus, Duke, Billie, Ornette, Trane, Miles, Andrew Hill, Steve Lacy, AACM, Sun Ra, Jacki McLean

but also..

J.S.Bach, Harry Partch, Cage, Ives, Schnittke, Xenakis, Arditti Quartet, Kronos Quartet,

and..

Paco DeLucia, Arto Lindsay, Tom Waits, Edgar Meyer, Tim O'Brien, Dirk Powell, Riley Baugus, Peter Rowan, Brian Wilson, Zorn, Zappa, Zepplin, Captain Beefheart, Uncle Tupelo, Meat Puppets, Eugene Chadbourne

and other weirdos..

Jim
Mar-21-2009, 12:12pm
About 30% of what I listen to has Mandolin however it's closer to 60% of what I buy.

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-21-2009, 3:07pm
About 30% of what I listen to has Mandolin however it's closer to 60% of what I buy.

I would say the same for me on that one.

Tobin
Mar-22-2009, 3:50pm
Right now, I'm using an immersion technique. 100% of the music I listen to has mandolin in it. I want to hear as much mandolin music as I can. I want to hear all the variety I can. All the different styles. So if it ain't got a mandolin, I don't wanna hear it! :)

violmando
Mar-23-2009, 7:51am
Well, I listen to alot of mando, but I also listen to Balkan music--gypsy, Bulgarian, etc. It most likely has either fiddle or tambura in it, but no mandolin--sorry--so I'd say it's about 50/50. I'd make it closer to 65% mando related if you count plectrum instruments like balalaikas as relations.....Yvonne

Gerry Hastie
Mar-23-2009, 3:43pm
Oh yeah I forgot about the music I used to listen to! Most stuff that I buy is mandolin centric or has mando in it. I'm sure once I've got most of the stuff that I think I should have I'll broaden out. I have tons of music though. I was listening to the Blue Aeroplanes - a sort of early 90's English version of REM - today. Before I came onto the cafe today I was surfing youtube looking up 80s heavy metal bands! I used to play bass guitar and was wildly into Jaco Pastorius. He sort of did for fretless bass what Monroe did for the mandolin - he took it to new places. He also saw and heard the music in everything. It's shame about him being bi-polar and being easily influenced by others. He was a real genius.

Heaven (or other preferred after life state) must be a great place. Monroe, Hendrix, Pastorius, Grappelli, Davis, Parker, Bonham, Lennon............... gee wizzz!!!