PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Monroe and a Weber:

creekwater
Feb-07-2004, 7:30pm
Friday I went to a music store about 30 miles away. They had 4 Morgan Monroes from the laminated F-5 style, the black sycamore Phantom, the carved maple back and sides with spruce top, and the collectors series with the vine of life inlay. They also had a Weber Gallitan, and a Weber Yellowstone. And last of all they had a Gibson A-9 and a Gibson F-5 Master Model. I played all of them over the space of a hour and a half, except the laminated MM, and the A-9. I was in small enclosed room by myself which gave me a chance to see how they sounded. I was suprized. I started with the carved model MM and went up in the price range from there. The Morgan Monroe was a close second to the Weber Yellowstone in Volume, sweetness of tone, abd both had a very nice action. Both also had a bark all the way up from G on up the neck. Of course the Yellowstone sounded very nice, but the Morgan Monroe was close, and it could sound better, as all the others but it had good strings. The ones on it were very dead. Price of the MM;-$700. Price of the Weber;,-$2800. And by the way, the Gibson F-5 Master Model was the worse sounding mandolin out of the whole bunch. I'm going to try to get the coins to buy the MM as soon as I can, for it is the only one in my price range.

John Flynn
Feb-07-2004, 7:40pm
Yeah, OK, but that Master Model had a flowerpot on it, buddy! I'll bet you didn't think of that, did ya? Besides, in 50 years, it will "open up" and sound lots better than that Morgan Monroe. Then you'll be sorry! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ngzcaz
Feb-07-2004, 8:34pm
Cant say I'm that surprised. Many dealers
are touting these as the most bang for the
buck. It will be interesting if they maintain
or surpass the quality they have already
established in a few short years.

MandoPicker
Feb-07-2004, 8:37pm
Creekwater, I'm still laughing. I've tried to disect your post and I just can't make any sense out of it at all. The only conclusions I've come to are; you're trying to justify to your peers the recent purchase of a pacific rim mandolin in which you need constant reassurances of it's outstanding tone, you've been smoking crack, or you just can't hear yourself fart in dry leaves (meaning you're deaf). I tend to believe it's a combination of all the above.

John

John Flynn
Feb-07-2004, 9:07pm
Didn't we already do the snobbery/reverse snobbery thread? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

mandoJeremy
Feb-07-2004, 9:17pm
Hey Creekwater, I would be VERY interested in how long you have been playing mando! Please, do tell.

mandokid
Feb-07-2004, 9:40pm
Yes, very odd that you would say the master model was the worst out of the bunch. There may be a few foreign made mandolins with exceptional sound, and there could be a few off webers and gibson. And sometimes its the player, not the instrument.

JAK
Feb-07-2004, 9:47pm
Maybe creekwater was having a bad-ear-day, but then again there is always the exception to the rule....

prairiewind
Feb-07-2004, 10:13pm
creekwater,

I own a MMS-2, and I like the tone... now. After fabricating my own one-piece maple bridge and putting TI heavy strings on it. The factory fit rosewood bridge was so poorly fit that I could see light under both the treble and bass sides. The strings it came with had bronze wound D on one string and nickel wound on the other. I would trade it even up for a Gibson MM any day. If the Morgan Monroe you played sounded that good, by all means buy it and enjoy it.

mandomick
Feb-07-2004, 10:23pm
Hey mando experts, what gives? I didn't hear one of you question Scott Tichenor's ability to judge a mandolin's qualities when he spoke very highly of a $750.00 Michael Kelly that was for sale at Mass St. Music and even suggested that he might buy it.

Creekwater played some mandolins and told us what he thought and what he'd buy if he could get the money together. I've owned 3 Webers and I didn't feel the least bit threatend or insulted by his post.

It's always sad to see somebody try to raise their level of self esteem or their standing among peers by taking a cheap shot at somebody else. That's all I got to say about that.

MandoPicker
Feb-07-2004, 10:30pm
MandoMick, Scott didn't say the Michael Kelly sounded better than his Nugget, either. You know, I accept that people have different tastes, etc. but a statement like creekwater made is just so out in left field. It's like saying, "You know, my Yugo rides SoooooOOOoooo much better than my wife's Cadillac."

John

mcmando
Feb-07-2004, 10:55pm
Oh, I dunno about any Yugo, but I've played some real dogs with a flowerpot on the headstock. Creekwater's entitled to his opinion and no one should belittle him for sharing it.

Creekwater, I've posted some similar comments and been blasted by the gibson police too so you're in good company.

John Flynn
Feb-07-2004, 10:55pm
I like the car analogy. My friend bought a Jag. Ever since, he has been complaining it doesn't perform as well as he hoped, it doesn't handle worth a darn (he failed to buy the Sports Package) and it spends most of the time in the shop. About the same time, I got a Nissan Maxima for about half the price. My car will outrun and out handle his Jag and it has never given me a lick of trouble. But if I suggested to him that the Nissan was a better car, he would get really upset and ask how I could possibly say that.

Companies that do nameplate marketing depend that kind of reaction. Cost does not equal quality. The Jag looks nice, though.

mcmando
Feb-07-2004, 11:01pm
One thing the Jag does have is fit and finish (as does the Nissan, I'm sure)! #Did you read the post on another thread about a brand new A-9. #The poor guy's gotta have a luthier refit the bridge becasue he can see light under the feet.

creekwater
Feb-08-2004, 9:43am
My age is 49 in June. I've been picking guitar since age 10, banjo since age 11, and mandolin since age 12. Played for a living for approx. 4 years. Won the Union Grove , N.C. mandolin competition at age 15. No I'm not on any drugs. Yes I can hear very well. I've noticed alot of pickers have to use electronic tuners constantly to stay in tune, I don't. In this post I just told it like it is. In the past I have picked some very good Gubson F-5s, but the ones that I've come in contact with over the past year have not been good sounding mandos. Charlie D. made a statement on one of my previous post that he had never seen a new mando of high quality such as a Gibson sound good when new. In my opinion that is a bunch of hog wash. I've played brand new mandos before of all makes including Gibsons that sounded fantastic. I believe there might be some of ya'll that post that don't have too much experience to back up the outlandish remarks that you make. Yes some of you are true POBWATS, I can tell this know.

mandomick
Feb-08-2004, 11:05am
I have a feeling that the answer isn't very flattering but what the heck is a POBWAT?

Feb-08-2004, 11:40am
It stands for Post O Brother Where Art Thou. #It is based on the foolish assumption that some events that bring a person to a genre of music are better than others.

peterleyenaar
Feb-08-2004, 11:49am
I have to side with Creekwater on this one, I am a new mando player, but I have played fiddle/violin for a long time and I think I have a good ear for music, tone and pitch.
I the short time (1 year) that I have experienced many mandolins(actually owned and sold them) : Gibsons, Webers, Collings, Givens, Mid mo, all really nice mandolins.I have played (not owned) some of the very expensive mandolins as well.
Last Christmas I was in Amsterdam and bought a Kentucky A with F holes mandolin for my sister from Palm guitars( really neat shop, look them up on the web)for (darn I don't have that euro sign on my computer)300 euros, what a bargain , Nice sounding mando, nice looking.
I was amazed that one could buy a decent sounding instrument and have a lot of fun for so little money , compared to what I payed for all my mandos.
My Conclusion: Most mandolins sound nice for the quality of the instrument, crap instruments are not bought by any decent musician, Mandolins with the big names and from $7500 to $ 100000 are WAY WAY WAY overpriced, they are probably quality instruments, but the price tag has very little to do with music.
Have you ever heard anbody say : "I am not buying that CD or I am not going to that show because the guy is playing a cheap instrument"
Most mandolins in the higher price range although different tone, have similar tonal qualities, the midpriced instruments are not far behind, inexpensive mandolins can sound good as well.
And we all know that a good musician can make a cheaper mandolin sound good,
A poor musician makes a very good mandolin sound like crap

J. Mark Lane
Feb-08-2004, 12:20pm
Creek,

Was the Gibson really a "Master Model," or was it an F5 or F5G or something with "Master Model" written inside? I think it's unfortunate, but Gibson uses that phrase for a range of instruments.

creekwater
Feb-08-2004, 2:02pm
J. Mark Lane, it was a Master Model. At least that is what the label inside had printed on it. As I stated before, recently I picked at a jam in Cana VA., and there was a 1993 F-5G, and a 2002 F-5 Sam Bush model. They were both very weak in tone and volume. The things I have posted about my observations is not meant to pick on Gibson. I have picked many very fine Gibson F-5s, including the one that Ricky Skaggs played while he was in Boone Creek. I am not making these statements to cause controversey. I am just simply stating facts. In the past year I've only played one Gibson that sounded like a mando should. It was a brand new Gibson F-9. Thus that dispells what Charlie D. stated about the verty instruments he is involved in building. Have any of you wandered that Charlies main objective is to promote and sell Gibsons? I have played another Weber in the past year that was as good as the Yellowstone I picked the other day. It was a Bridger. Why did Bruce Weber not go with Gibson when they moved to Nashville? Could it be that he saw that quality might be going down? Yea I know that Gibson has some artist models now. But I'll bet you that there were special pains taking to construct the Steffy, Bush, Lawson, etc.mandos that these guys actually have. For instance the Sam Bush model that I spoke of above, I don't think "ol Sam would pick that one for the simple reason being that he could not be heard if he did, I'm speaking of the one I picked at the jam. Just because a instrument has a particular name inlaid in the headstock does not make it a good instrument. Thats the point I'm trying to make. I have a killer banjo. It is a 1930's RB-3 Wreath Mastertone Gibson. It outsounds all the banjos I've picked so far. And I've been in jams with other Gibsons old and new, Stellings, Deerings. I just lucked up and got a good one. Another thing that some have said I'm bashing higher priced instruments because I can't afford them That is ridiculus. If I had the money to spend 2-5 grand, I still would'nt spend it not unless the mando sounded good. If I found one that was $600-2000that sounded like it was supposed to, why spend more for a name?

J. Mark Lane
Feb-08-2004, 2:21pm
Now I'm beginning to think what you really has is a gripe with Gibson. All the "commentary" just to say that some mandos are better than others, regardless of brand?

Anyway, as I meant to say before, I believe the words "Master Model" appear on the inside label of a number of current Gibson mandolins, not just the real "Master Model." But aside from all that, anyone who impugns the integrity of Charlie Derrington has lost all credibility with me.

creekwater
Feb-08-2004, 2:27pm
J. Mark, think what you will. But I don't lie. And my comments about Charlie is just things that I wander about. I read the other day in a Nashville newspaper that Gibson might be going public. If that happens I wander if that will effect the quality of the Gibson instruments. And also I can't understand where you get the idea that I'm Gibson bashing, when I've already stated that I have played some very fine F-5s, and recently a very fine F-9, and have in my opinion the very best 5 string banjo that has ever been made; the Gibson Mastertone. So how do you get that I'm bashing Gibson?

creekwater
Feb-08-2004, 2:32pm
Also speaking of Charlie, I've heard that he was fired from Gibson five times. Wonder why? The man who told me this knows him very well. He stated that Charlie might hold the record for a luthier. But that is something that don't apply to my original post. I was and am stating what I've seen, heard, and held in my on two hands.

neal
Feb-08-2004, 2:40pm
Never mind.

JimW
Feb-08-2004, 3:01pm
I've read this topic a few times over, and topics like it for a few years on this board. It seems they all start out the same way, then as the conversation progresses, it becomes apparent what the posters motives are. Sometimes it troubles me to think that someone new will read a topic like this one and it will sway them from trying out not just a Gibson, but higher end mandolins in general. Then, I realize any intelligent individual will see what these topic starters, such as Creekwater, are trying to do. When it gets to this point, the originator has lost all credibility with anyone that's reading this crap. Also, I wonder what the motives are for someone that questions the integrity of Charlie Derrington, who, in my opinion, has a love for the mandolin that far exceeds his job title. I'm not defending Charlie, as I'm sure he's able to do that himself, but as stated above, when you made those statements, you lost any credibility that you might've had.

I also invite anyone that's read this topic this far to #Click Here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=Search&CODE=02&SID=40268d63272ff3cd) and read the posts made by this individual and I'm sure you can come to your own conclusions as to what his motives are.

Jim Watts

creekwater
Feb-08-2004, 3:03pm
Now let me say this. I do appreciate all the comments made good and bad and indifferant. What I am asking or trying to find out here is if anybody else has experienced the same things regarding my original post. I was not trying to step on anyones toes, or to make anyone upset. I was just simply stating my observations. Some of you seem to think I might not be wrapped too tight, and don't know what I'm talking about. Heck anytime you are up my way, stop in and we'll pick some. That is what I truly love. I was raised poor, and still am in money ways, but the Lord has blessed me with riches of a great family, and a talent for making music. I had the good fortune to have a father who played Bluegrass, and he was my hero. We had many differances in our life, but the music always bought us together and healed all wounds. And that is what music is. By some of the comments some of you have made, I'm afraid that some of you don't realize that. Music is not about copetition, or stating who is better than who else, or about my instrument is better than yours. Being that way is nothing but being child-like in the way you view the world. I had some really terrible sounding and playing mandolins in my life. I never had but one that I would consider outstanding and it was built by a small builder in the Charlotte area. The one I have know is a cheap Kentucky, but it really sounds good considering the money it cost. I know there are many mandolins that are better than it, but at this time it is all I can afford. Like I said, I did not post to make anyone po'd, I was just trying to make a point, that it's not what is inlaid in the headstock that makes a insrument sound good.

creekwater
Feb-08-2004, 3:16pm
Oh I see that I'm being scrutinized. Well apparently this is turning into a free for all. I just realize that I'm not in good enough to be in the "elite" group here. I was enjoying discussing various things with some of ya'll, but its turned into a "GREAT ARGUMENT". I don't know ya"ll, and ya"ll don't know me, but I'll bet some of you can't even strike a tune on your mandolins. So you know what, I ain't getting on here no more. I'll bet that brings shouts of glee.

doanepoole
Feb-08-2004, 3:18pm
You found a good Morgan Monroe, I'm sure they exist, end of story.

Lets move on as this gear-thread has already gotten ugly.

What tunes are you working up?

I'm playing Congress Reel, Miss McLeod's Reel, and Money Musk. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Charlie Derrington
Feb-08-2004, 3:37pm
First off, Jeff........ You've misquoted me.

I never said a new mandolin can't (or doesn't) sound good, I said they sound better as they get older and if they aren't built to Loar specs., they can sound too good when they are brand new. Because, they will continue to break in, and I've heard plenty of great sounding new mandolins that turn to mud further down the road. That comment was not to denigrate any particular mandolin but to preach on the virtues of building to what I consider to be the perfect model, the Gibson Loar period F-5s. We know what they sound like 80 yrs. after the fact.

Secondly, I have always said "If you don't like it, don't buy it." I can't speak to your likes and dislikes and am not going to try and build a mandolin based upon your idea of what is a good mandolin or a bad mandolin. I'm going to try and follow the perfect model.

Thirdly, and I'm not going to speak to this issue again, I have worked at Gibson twice in my life. The first time I left was by mutual consent between me and the owner of the company, after which he helped me set up my own business. I came back in 1997 per a request from the owners, after Bruce and company decided not to move to the Nashville area given the consolidation of all of the Bluegrass instrument divisions. It was their choice to remain in Montana (and I certainly don't blame them for not wanting to uproot their families and move from their home). I don't know where you got your information, but it is obviously incorrect.

Spread rumors if you like (and yes, that is what you are admitting, I'm quoting you)....

"But that is something that don't (doesn't) apply to my original post."

If that's the case, then why did you include the firing statement in the discussion?

I would suggest you mind your own business and buy whatever mandolin you feel sounds the best. I'm just thankful I don't have to build to your standards and have the freedom to build to my own.

I will not reply further on this thread.

Charlie

p.s. According to Mr. Bill, music is all about competition....

Quoting him, "You don't play with a man, you play 'agin him."

jumpyroo
Feb-08-2004, 4:26pm
"People who make music together cannot be enemies, at least while the music lasts." I think that the quote should apply to competition as well. Isn't the point of playing with other people just to make music, and not compete, or argue, or show off? That's what I think, at least. I have a MM collector's model with the vine inlay, and I really like it. It's just a personal preference. Granted, I haven't played that long, only a year and a half, but I've tried out a lot of mandos, and this is the one that suits me. People shouldn't get their panties all in a bunch over opinions or preferences. And it's just contemptable to start saying that so-and-so can't play a lick because they have a differing opinion. I've played the violin sicne I was nine, and even in classical music I haven't run into more of this kind of nastiness. If anyone's got an opinion, they should be able to share it without getting ridiculed. At least, that's what I think. Just my two cents.

peterleyenaar
Feb-08-2004, 7:04pm
Hey doanepoole, I play Ms Mcleod's reel as well , leftover from fiddle playing,
I am working on Road to Spencer, and the mandolin solos for "The Old Home Place" and
How Mountain Girls Can Love, do you sing ?
Gotta duck , Incoming :-)

John Zimm
Feb-08-2004, 7:28pm
I'm with Creekwater on this one. I have far less mandolin experience as I've only played mando for about 5 years, but I have played the guitar for over 15 years and I think I know how to listen when I am trying out an instrument. I am the proud owner of a Michael Kelly Firefly Flame, and when I was shopping around for it I played several Gibsons, MMs, Webers, etc. I knew I was not going to buy one of the top shelf mandolins since I don't have that kind of money, but I wanted to have some kind of comparison. I played a Gibson Wayne Benson that sounded much like my old laminated Alvarez that I bought for a couple hundred bucks. In fact, none of the Gibsons I played sounded as good as the MK I bought. I have to admit though, this Weber Yellowstone I played sounded so sweet it almost was enough to make a grown man cry.

The point is, it is not unreasonable to think that maybe Gibson is coasting a little bit, and that if they aren't careful some people are going to break free from Gibson snobbery and see they can get just as good a mandolin for 1/10 the price. That flowerpot is not worth $5,000 in my book.

John.

creekwater
Feb-08-2004, 7:51pm
Well, no I did'nt go to university, as a matter of fact, did'nt finish school. See I was even corrected in my use of proper grammer. Yep, I can't spell, can't speak clear to get my point across, but I can pick a mandolin. Don't never buy a instrument just so it can be admired by other folk, so they can say, look that guys realy serious he's picking something that cost A LOT OF MONEY, WOW! Nope stuff like that ain't never impressed me. I wonder why every top picker ain't playing a Gibson F-5? Some of them play handmade ones from small builders. I wonder why they do? Must be they don't like the way Gibsons sound you reakon? Naw I never meant to be no kind of basher to any particular brand, but I will say this. After some of the things thats been stated here, I will not buy a Gibson mando now for any reason. It seems to me if you've got a new one and it sounds good, then you were lucky. I prefer to be lucky with another brand. And my reply to Mr. Derrington is I can't mis-quote your mis-qoute. They's good ones and bad ones, and the tally so far is that ya'll have let some bad ones out of the house it seems here lately. But hey Charlie, its about making money ain't it? All these small builders, and the ones from overseas are putting a little preasure on ain't they. Like everything else in buisness it was prudent to start cutting a few corners on construction a little here and there? Well you can fool some, some of the time, but you can't fool all, all of the time.

John Flynn
Feb-08-2004, 8:54pm
Jeff:

I am with you. Don't be put off by the negative reaction you have gotten here. It's one of the more "charming" parts of the Cafe' experience! Someone else on the board said words to the effect, "I've been flamed so many times on the message board, I'm crispy on both sides!" I got a kick outta that, whoever it was.

To answer your original question, for those who actually remember what that was, I have had that experience. There is a shop near me that right now has a used Kentucky 180S on consignment for $500. That is a model designation they don't use anymore, but it in appearance it is similar to the current 380S. The price might seem a little high, but not if you played it. It is one of the best-sounding mandos in the place and they have a big selection, including Gibsons, Rigels, Webers and some custom-builts. This 180S sounds much better than the current Kentucky 3XX series, BTW.

I do think there are diamonds in the rough to be found. I also think there are dogs in the high-priced field. These instruments are made out of wood, mostly by human hand. There is bound to be a lot of varibility. I also think that people would be happier and might save a lot of money, if they bought based on playability and sound first and nameplate last.

Nick Triesch
Feb-08-2004, 11:17pm
While do not think IMHO that Gibson fit and finish are up to par with the likes of Weber and Collings , I must say that the new Gibson mandolins that I have played (F5G ,F5MM, F5Fern, F9) all had a wonderful huge rich deep guitar like bass clear treble sound to die for. There is really no other way to tell it. It's just plain true. On the fit and finish issue, I think that Gibson may be going for that kind of look because it really is in their long tradition I have come to find. Anyway Charlie, I love my Weber but your mandolins are cool. Just the way it is, Nick

mandocrustacean
Feb-08-2004, 11:20pm
i'm happy with my weber hyalite i paid around 700 for it. it isn't the top of the line but i get compliments on it wherever i play. if i could afford it i might have newson up the road build one for me.

mrt10x
Feb-09-2004, 4:35pm
Its amazing that I can switch between guitar, mandolin, shotgun, and fly fishing forums and see the exact same arguments, almost word for word (substitute Martin and Yamaha, Browning and Ruger, or Winston and Fenwick), it is really kind of funny. To address a question earlier asked, Bruce and the majority of the Flatiron builders who made up the core of the Gibson Montana based mandolin production were promised when they came on board that Gibson would keep the production in Montana. Within two years Gibson had gone back on that word and decided to move their production to TN with the rest of their bluegrass instruments. I think it is pretty well accepted that Gibson is just now recovering from that split with Bruce and the Bozeman gang. Take a look at the new shop that Weber has moved into and you can begin to get the feel of why Bruce and his gang produce such beautiful instruments, http://www.soundtoearth.com/updates_remodel.htm A second point, I believe that there are MK, MM's, Fenders etc out there that sound as good as Webers/Gibsons off the shelf. But in 20 years that MK or MM will be worth the same as you paid for it or nothing at all, but the Weber or Gibson will have probably gone up in value. IMHO.

mandocrustacean
Feb-09-2004, 5:11pm
Its amazing that I can switch between guitar, mandolin, shotgun, and fly fishing forums and see the exact same arguments, almost word for word (substitute Martin and Yamaha, Browning and Ruger, or Winston and Fenwick), it is really kind of funny. #
It is kind of funny but notice that it is almost exclusively us males who are engaging in this kind of discourse. #I think it might be part of male nature to "size ourselves up" compared to other males to see who is the best "endowed" in whatever realm happens to be important at the time. #In fact, I get a lot of junk mail that happens to address one of those realms. #I think what it comes down to is this: if you like what you've got and it works for you, use it, regardless of what anyone else thinks. #If it doesn't work for you, find something that does. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John Flynn
Feb-09-2004, 5:41pm
I think it might be part of male nature to "size ourselves up"
Hey, it's not the size that matters! It's the stiffness of the truss rod! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Seriously, your point is well taken, though to be "fair" to all genders, there are a few ladies on the board who consistently get thier shots in, one I can think of on accessories, one on a specific brand of mando and yet another on a specific performer. I think you know who I mean. And there is nothing wrong with that.

It may indeed be males who do most of it, but I'll bet males are disproportionately represented on the mando board in general. Also, it is worth noting that for every member who does engage in these scraps, there are dozens who don't. I see it more as a tolerance issue than a gender issue. Some people see thier opinions, thier preferences or their material possessions de-valued if someone else has a contrary opinion. It's like you have taken something away from them by criticizing thier favorite mando brand/artist/type of music. On the other hand, most people can live with the fact that someone else thinks differently than they do.

Bottom Line, IMHO: Let's argue our opinions freely and agressively, all we want. Let's not put down our fellow board members as individuals for doing the same.

creekwater
Feb-10-2004, 5:52pm
I do appreciate all of ya'll who have supported me on this. Some of the folk on here have a very narrow mind. I ain't no complicated man, just a real country fellow who grew up on a tobacco farm, and actualy plowed with a mule when i was a little fellow. Heck, I didn't even no how to turn a computer on till 3 years ago. But like I've stated before, I can pick a mandolin, banjo, and guitar, and have been doing so for 39+ years. And I truly love Bluegrass music. To me there is no purer sounds than that on earth. Thanks again to the ones that see where I'm coming from, and to those that don't, well I just fell sad for ya'll.

John Zimm
Feb-11-2004, 9:30am
I do appreciate all of ya'll who have supported me on this. Some of the folk on here have a very narrow mind. I ain't no complicated man, just a real country fellow who grew up on a tobacco farm, and actualy plowed with a mule when i was a little fellow. Heck, I didn't even no how to turn a computer on till 3 years ago. But like I've stated before, I can pick a mandolin, banjo, and guitar, and have been doing so for 39+ years. And I truly love Bluegrass music. To me there is no purer sounds than that on earth. Thanks again to the ones that see where I'm coming from, and to those that don't, well I just fell sad for ya'll.
I'm with you Creekwater. And while my endorsement may not be worth as much as the fine builders and pickers here, neither do I have the same fashion committments. Like I said, my MK sounded better to my ear than any of the Gibsons I played while shopping around for a new mando. And it really doesn't matter what it will sound like in 80 years because I will be long dead at that point, but being that my MK sounds better now than when I bought it, I have confidence that it will sound great for my great-grand niece or nephew who inherits it one day. Why pay so much for a flowerpot? That's just silly, but then again I was raised to be frugal.

-John.

cutbait2
Feb-11-2004, 10:16am
lets do a simple test; number of recording professionals and national and regional touring pro's who play or record with a "quality" mandolin such as gibson = thousands
number of recording professionals and national or regional touring pro's who play or record with a MK = 0

John Zimm
Feb-11-2004, 12:11pm
lets do a simple test; number of recording professionals and national and regional touring pro's who play or record with a "quality" mandolin such as gibson = thousands
number of recording professionals and national or regional touring pro's who play or record with a MK = 0
All this demonstrates is fashion.

-John.

8ch(pl)
Feb-11-2004, 12:44pm
I would feel the need to justify the cost of some of the high end mandolins, since I know about things like unemployment and working 2 jobs to make ends meet. I play a Mid Missouri because it is what I could afford. I also have a nice Samick which I have set up and have made a new bridge for.

I have had favorable comments on my playing. That means a lot to me.

If I had a couple of grand of disposable income I would buy the A9 or possibly the Absoroka that I admired recently. I don't need to explain why I play what I have and neither do those who can afford the price.

Charlie Derrington's post show class. Not Creekwater's several.

John Zimm
Feb-11-2004, 2:06pm
My apologies for stirring up trouble on this board. From here on out, my Gibson opinions are going to be kept to myself.

I play a Mid Missouri ...
I have wanted for some time a Mid Missouri octave mandola. I played one a few months ago and really enjoyed the tone. Those Absorakas are beautiful too.

(How's that for changing the subject?) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

-John.

cutbait2
Feb-11-2004, 4:03pm
MK, MM are good entry level instruments, lots better than the harmony i started on in '72. and better than the pretty ibanez's i've owned. they can make you happy a long time. regarding the higher end, that's a personal decision based on numerous factors, but the high end does exist, it can cost lots to get in to it, and gibson makes them too......