PDA

View Full Version : My new Kentucky KM DAWG

mandolinbill1949
Mar-19-2009, 6:07am
I bought this from a cafe member and i love it but it seems to have the longest fingerboard extension i have ever seen. What do you thinkabout the long finger board should i have it scooped?

Bigtuna
Mar-19-2009, 7:01am
I'd say scoop it only if you have to since the Dawg's seem to be so rare. I've been looking for one for a while now, but if I found one that was scooped I probably wouldn't have a problem with it being not original. I've got the fingerboard on my KM-1000 scooped and I've gotten so used to it, I'm sure I would consider the same thing.

Chuck Naill
Mar-19-2009, 7:13am
If it were mine, I wouldn't change a thing. Very, very nice, BTW. Congrats.

How does it sound, play, etc. I have always love the scrolls. When was it made. It was built in Japan, correct?

chuck

JEStanek
Mar-19-2009, 7:27am
I would try and leave it original. Love that design. Congratulations.

Jamie

cooper4205
Mar-19-2009, 7:40am
Nice find, you don't see many of those either (on an unrelated note, I noticed your avatar. It's a shame about Popcorn isn't it?)

mandolinbill1949
Mar-19-2009, 12:29pm

How does it sound, play, etc. I have always love the scrolls. When was it made. It was built in Japan, correct?

chuck
It sounds just like a montelone grand artist and it was built in 1985 yes it was built in japan by sumi who builds sumi mandolins now.

mandolinbill1949
Mar-19-2009, 12:31pm
Nice find, you don't see many of those either (on an unrelated note, I noticed your avatar. It's a shame about Popcorn isn't it?)

cooper i have known popcorn for years he was a very kind hearted man and now no more popcorn and no more good white lightning

Chuck Naill
Mar-19-2009, 12:37pm
MB,

You might be interested in this, http://www.vintagemandolin.com/kentuckyarticlepage1.html

chuck

SternART
Mar-19-2009, 1:11pm
It sounds just like a montelone grand artist and it was built in 1985 yes it was built in japan by sumi who builds sumi mandolins now.

If it sounds just like a Monteleone Grand Artist then you got a fabulous deal!!!

But if you haven't played many of John Monteleone's instruments you might just be doing wishful thinking. I'll agree it "DOES" look like one! And indeed some of the Kentucky Dawgs were darn good sounding instruments, especially for the era they were built. There just weren't as many options back then. But IMHO John Monteleone is one of the world's best luthiers, and his instruments are highly valued, because they are exquisite in every way!

I've seen a few KDawg's and Monty's that are scooped, but most aren't. I found that with an arm rest it changed my angle of attack & I was able to mostly avoid the extension click issue.

Paul Statman
Mar-19-2009, 1:18pm

chuck

They were all built in Japan. In 1991 I bought one of two from David (His Grisness) with which he had recorded, and kept for himself. The extension is only a 24 fret, and I don't recall it ever getting in my way. The only modification I found necessary to perform on mine was to slightly de-radius the fretboard. That made it so much more playable. I do remember the finish being rather thick, and the instrument weighing heavy. Loud little bugger, though - even outside in big jams!

MANDOLINMYSTER
Mar-19-2009, 1:39pm
Don't do it!

45ACP-GDLF5
Mar-19-2009, 2:15pm
I bought this from a cafe member and i love it but it seems to have the longest fingerboard extension i have ever seen. What do you thinkabout the long finger board should i have it scooped?

Personally, I would leave it original just because the DAWG is so rare. I would love to come check it out sometime. We're pretty close to one another.

Yessir, it is sad about "Popcorn" The feds should have left him alone. He never hurt anybody.

mandolinbill1949
Mar-19-2009, 2:38pm
If it sounds just like a Monteleone Grand Artist then you got a fabulous deal!!!

But if you haven't played many of John Monteleone's instruments you might just be doing wishful thinking. I'll agree it "DOES" look like one! And indeed some of the Kentucky Dawgs were darn good sounding instruments, especially for the era they were built. There just weren't as many options back then. But IMHO John Monteleone is one of the world's best luthiers, and his instruments are highly valued, because they are exquisite in every way!

I've seen a few KDawg's and Monty's that are scooped, but most aren't. I found that with an arm rest it changed my angle of attack & I was able to mostly avoid the extension click issue. I have played several monty's even the f5 style ones but it is real close tone and volume wise to a grand artist.

mandolinbill1949
Mar-19-2009, 2:39pm
Personally, I would leave it original just because the DAWG is so rare. I would love to come check it out sometime. We're pretty close to one another.

Yessir, it is sad about "Popcorn" The feds should have left him alone. He never hurt anybody. Sure one day when i am free you could come over and check the dawg out.

mandolinbill1949
Mar-19-2009, 2:45pm
I am also thinking to have the name on the headstock changed to The Dawg like gibson does by a professional luthier of course

JEStanek
Mar-19-2009, 3:00pm
I wouldn't make the headstock modification. It will ultimately hurt the resale value to change it in anyway from original. That's just me though.

Jamie

blawson
Mar-19-2009, 3:22pm
You could have a replacement fretboard put on by a pro, storing the original as-is for whole-instrument originality. Some might argue, though, that once the original fingerboard comes off it's a detriment. Six of one, in my opinion.