PDA

View Full Version : First time to hold a "Loar"

Capt. E
Mar-18-2009, 9:48am
Well, technically not a Loar, but one of the un-signed F-5's released one week after Lloyd Loar left the company. So light in weight, beautiful patina, all original. Something about the proportions of the body, pickguard etc that was so elegant. Also got to hold a 1910 F4. I'm beginning to understand. Next I need to be able to sit and play one for half an hour.

Dennis Ladd
Mar-18-2009, 10:09am
I held a Loar once, oh, about 1992 at a friend's house. His had been found floating in its case in the trunk of a car. It was dried out, taken apart and reassembled. In his living room the chop was sharp and loud enough to hurt my ears and yet the sound was as sweet as any mandolin gets.

The same man also had a bottle of wine for dinner that night (thanks, Hal) that was the smoothest I've ever had without any of that harsh bite that most table wines have. It was all warm and velvety and that's what the Loar was like, too.

It took a while to reconcile with my Kentucky.

Jonmiller
Mar-18-2009, 5:32pm
You held it and did'nt have "pick in hand" and start frailing away? You get your rear right back there and demand some pick time young man!!

I played a teens F4 and an F2 this weekend at Buffalo Bros. in So Cal-the F4 was splendid!

ellisppi
Mar-18-2009, 5:47pm
John,
Enjoyed the visit, yea I'll get it tuned up nice and we can wail away

mandozilla
Mar-18-2009, 5:53pm
Hey Capt. E
Did you sniff the ff holes?...Was it good? :))

:mandosmiley:

Jordan Ramsey
Mar-18-2009, 6:00pm
My first experience was at a John Reischman show at the Down Home in Johnson City, TN about four or five years ago. I knew before the show that John had a loar, but after watching the first set I had to wonder if this was the one. It looked pristine, definitely not like an 80-year-old mandolin. I went up to him on set break and introduced myself and asked him if that was his loar he was playing. His response was something like, "Yes it is, would you like to play it?". I was blown away, and obviously jumped at the chance. He was so nice, took me up on stage and listened to me play a couple of tunes. I have since been able to play a couple others, but to this day, it remains one of the nicest mandolins I've ever played.

mandolinbill1949
Mar-18-2009, 6:01pm
I held ronnie Mccoury's loar and he even let me play it in cherokee N.C festival.One cool dude the best in my opinion.

LateBloomer
Mar-18-2009, 6:34pm
I remember the first time I held a Fern...... it was a hundred degree late summer afternoon, the music was fast, singing was heartfelt - but the beer was getting warm. The fern's caretaker asked me to "babysit" her while he ran to get more ice. I was awestruck - I picked a couple of notes when I thought no one was watching. I just didn't feel worthy of playing it then. The owner was gone about half an hour (had several small things to do), and apologized over and over for me having to "babysit" so long. In fact I was just in awe the whole time. " Am I really holding this beautiful instrument? Is it a Fern or Loar (I wasn't sure at the time). This is the most expensive thing I have ever held in my life! Who played this instrument before? Holy cow isn't it beautiful!" That was three and a half years ago, if I had the same chance again I would pick some songs.... but still be amazed :)

JEStanek
Mar-18-2009, 7:47pm
This is the most expensive thing I have ever held in my life!
Try holding two of your kids in your lap! :)

I've not had the pleasure of holding a Loar or a Fern. I kinda hope to some day just... because. You guys who have had the chance are lucky indeed!

Jamie

Elliot Luber
Mar-18-2009, 7:51pm
Hey, I played on a Stradivarius violin a couple of times as a high school kid. If I live long enough, I'll get to try a Loar one day too.

LateBloomer
Mar-18-2009, 8:10pm
Try holding two of your kids in your lap! :)

I've not had the pleasure of holding a Loar or a Fern. I kinda hope to some day just... because. You guys who have had the chance are lucky indeed!

Jamie

Jamie - I was careful to say the most expensive THING, as opposed to person or child (I have three children, our oldest was premature. With the hospitalizations, surgeries etc that he has needed our insurance company paid over a million for his care in the first year!). :mandosmiley:

JEStanek
Mar-18-2009, 8:21pm
I was feeling snarky 'cause my two were very trying tonight. They get frisky in the warm spring mold filled air! I still hope that as cool as getting to hold a Loar may be that I remember how it felt to hold a toddler in my lap and play music with them... Mine are too big for that now. Don't want anymore little ones! Too old for that.

So, Capt. E did you smell the f-holes? I know I would.

Jamie

George R. Lane
Mar-18-2009, 8:37pm
I have been fortunate enough to play two Loars. The first one was John Reischman's, he was playing a concet in town and since I was a photographer for the newspaper I just had to get a shot of him and the band. I also took my Weber along to have him sing the case. Dennis, I too was amazed at the lightness of the instrument and the extremely mature sound. The other Loar was the one at Greg Boyds, while it too was light in weight it did not have the matureness of Reischman's.

Greg H.
Mar-18-2009, 9:13pm
2 or 3 years ago Mike Marshall played in Durham (NC) on a Saturday night and then they'd scheduled a jam session with Mike for Sunday. First off, it was a great time. Mike would always go through the melody the first time through, so you were left thinking "I can do this!!!". Of course the second or third time through you'd realize that that he'd left us all far behind (though again still very relaxed and gracious throughout).

Anyway, he was sharing his loar (and his Monteleone Cello) with anyone who might want to try it out. That thing had the easiest action of any mandolin I've ever tried, but still had the volume to fill a room (or a small concert hall. . . .I saw him do that once with Eder Myer played the whole show completely acoustically and never missed a note)

mandozilla
Mar-18-2009, 9:43pm
I still hope that as cool as getting to hold a Loar may be that I remember how it felt to hold a toddler in my lap and play music with them... Mine are too big for that now. Don't want anymore little ones! Too old for that.

Jamie trust me, cherish and savor your time with your little ones becasue one of these days they'll be grown up and gone. Looking back, the toddler and pre-school years were the best and you'll miss that time someday. ;)

Now back to mandolin content dang it! :grin:

woodwizard
Mar-18-2009, 10:01pm
I was close enough to touch Mike Marshall's Loar once and have seen several Loar's being played on stage but never have actually played one. I hope I haven't missed my chance.

f5loar
Mar-18-2009, 10:34pm
Didn't know if it was a Fern or a Loar............
Could have been a Fern Loar. There have been many sightings of those rare 1924 Fern Loars with Virzis still intact hanging out in the Carolinas. I've seen at least 4 just in the Carolinas and another 6 or so elsewhere in the USA. To me it's the best of both worlds, it's a Loar and it's a Fern! Some say owning one cures for good MAS.

LateBloomer
Mar-19-2009, 5:48am
The caretaker told me it was a fern - gave me the numbers and history - no virzi. A very memorable day for me indeed!

Timbofood
Mar-19-2009, 8:53am
I am with you Jamie, I held a Loar once, pretty amazing but, when grandchildren entered the picture...
Now they both try to play while Grandpa is trying to change strings!
Totally unique experiences, with ALL of them!

Denny Gies
Mar-19-2009, 9:12am
Got to hold Joe Val's "Loar" at a festival in Arcadia, Florida back in the '70's. A really neat experience.

D C Blood
Mar-19-2009, 10:05am
Back in the mid-90s, when Big Mon used to go to our church in Hendersonville, Tn (Holiday Heights Baptist) and then play at the Bell Cove Club, just a couple of blocks down the street on Wednesday nights, I had "THE LOAR" in my car, both with and without Big Mon quite a few times. I generally took him from the church down to the club. Once in a while he'd tell me to take his mandolin down there and he'd ride down with someone else. (I even picked on it a time or two while waiting for him)...

blawson
Mar-19-2009, 10:35am
Anyway, he was sharing his loar (and his Monteleone Cello) with anyone who might want to try it out. That thing had the easiest action of any mandolin I've ever tried...

Similar experience here at a small Anger/Marshall show at Hampden-Sydney College. For me, though, it was that Monteleone mcello that blew me away... the C on that thing just exploded and seemed to ring forever.

Capt. E
Mar-19-2009, 11:18am
Tom, I am definitely going to take you up on your offer. Do you ever have groups by to just jam? I'll bring my Cajun accordion as well.

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-19-2009, 12:57pm
I only got to play one and it was John Reishmans, oh boy I was one lucky dude.

jimbob
Mar-19-2009, 2:34pm
I got to hold one and pick it just a little last summer. I was afraid to get too carried away with it, but it was an experience to see the real deal up close. The one I got to handle was a 1924 and after I left the church where the small concert was held, I realized I didn't even notice if it was a fern our a flowerpot. Oh, well, it was still fun.

mandozilla
Mar-19-2009, 10:13pm
(I even picked on it a time or two while waiting for him)...

Yes DC but did you ever sniff the ff holes...that's what I'd like to know. :))

BTW DC, was Big Mon's mandolin as hard to play as they say it was? :confused:

D C Blood
Mar-20-2009, 5:37am
Hey Mandozilla...yes it was...he was really the only one who could pull the sound out of it...

was Big Mon's mandolin as hard to play as they say it was?