PDA

View Full Version : Original Loar Case Key & Sales Tag

Mandoist
Mar-14-2009, 5:52pm
Just wondering...does anyone know if there are any original Loar period Gibson sales tags w/case key? I have one, it belongs to Joe Val's mandolin. While I was at the house, Joe's wife found it by chance in Joe's dresser drawer the day I picked up the mando.

It's very cool. I believe it says "Gibson, Music Pal Of The Nation" in beautiful script. Underneath, in pencil, is written: $125. The tag is tied to the key with what looks to be the original twine.

Any others out there?

evanreilly
Mar-14-2009, 6:19pm
Several years ago, I saw an F-5 that was at auction in Massachusetts that had the original sales tag on it/with it. Don't know if the case key was in the case, but there were a few very small teardrop shaped picks, probably tortoise, in the case.

Rroyd
Mar-14-2009, 7:16pm
That wouldn't be the price tag for the F5, as they were $250, while the cases were less than $40, I think. (There is a photo of an original price tag with its Loar mandolin in the archives. The tag is as you describe, with the price stamped in ink.) It sounds like you have a momento from Joe's life as a musician, but not one tied to his Loar.

f5loar
Mar-14-2009, 8:32pm
Maybe Joe's previous owner bought it used. Remember Mr. Monroe paid $150 for a used 1923 F5 in 1945 when the new price was still at $250 plus $25 for the case.
There was a time long ago when a used instrument was way cheaper then it's new model. I can think back that far.
There have been several examples found of the original $250 price tags and keys over the years. I know the F5 Journal has a few photos of them and are probably on the archives if you knew which serial no. to look for the tags in. I believe it was mandolin great Dave Apollon who sold his free used F5 for the current new price.

carleshicks
Mar-15-2009, 10:31pm
here is the original case key and tag for my 25 A-4. I know that it is nopt a Loar but the key is the same I bet.

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-16-2009, 11:05am
Are you talking about one of these?

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-16-2009, 11:12am
And of course there is this

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-16-2009, 11:13am
And this

danb
Mar-16-2009, 11:19am
Darryl- were the virzi ribbons sent out with the F5s, or are those original to just the Gibson rebranded Virzi violins?

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-16-2009, 11:25am
To my knowlege they came with the mandolins, or at least with the one depicted. That picture was from Dudenbostel when he was working on what I believe was a Fern Virzi Loar of somebody's

danb
Mar-16-2009, 11:35am
This one is from 72853

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/images/72853_hang_tag.jpg

Mandoist
Mar-18-2009, 3:12am
Hi Daryl.
I'm not 100% sure? The tag & key are in the USA. I'll try to have someone send me a photo of it. I'm thinking "Music Pal Of The Nation" is also in the fancy Gibson script? It's been a while since I've seen it. I tend to go with what 'f5Loar' said...It must be the used price of $125? My brain must have been out to lunch on this, since I knew the original price was $250. In any case the previous owner of Joe's Loar is unknown, since an alcoholic turned it over to a store in Vermont for quick cash money. I'll shoot a photo in the next day or so.

mandozilla
Mar-18-2009, 8:29pm
Darryl- were the virzi ribbons sent out with the F5s,

To my knowlege they came with the mandolins, or at least with the one depicted

UH, Darryl, does that ribbon say "Made in Italy" on it? :disbelief: Or am I seeing things? :confused: If so, what exactly was made in Italy?...Just curious..:grin:

BTW, that Gibson tag would look cool copied in Stainless Steel or (?) and used on a key ring...just thinkin' out loud...:cool:

:mandosmiley:

journeybear
Mar-18-2009, 11:33pm
... what exactly was made in Italy?...Just curious......

The ribbon? Signore Virzi? :grin:

BTW, that Gibson tag would look cool copied in Stainless Steel or (?) and used on a key ring...just thinkin' out loud...

Great idea on the key ring! I just love the motto: "The Music Pal Of The Nation." Wow! What a concept! It sure is, as far as citizens of the Mandolin Nation are concerned. :mandosmiley: That really dates it. No one says "pal" any more, nor "buddy," nor "chum," and no modern marketing director would ever let a phrase that chummy out the door. That is true Americana. :)

BTW, several years ago at the Philadelphia Folk Festival the Martin Guitar booth was giving away coasters made from the circular cut removed from soundholes, stamped with the logo. The one I've got has beautiful perfectly straight grain. If Gibson wanted to do something similar and use the wood cut out of A models for soundholes, how cool would that be? :cool:

carleshicks
Mar-19-2009, 3:42am
I doubt any one want to set their coffee on an A hole in the morning. LOL

journeybear
Mar-19-2009, 8:09am
Ewww! Puh-leeze! :disbelief:

Nossir, I meant to use the A hole cutout as a key chain fob, not coaster. That'd be a job for the guitar cutout. It flies pretty well, too :)

mandozilla
Apr-08-2009, 2:29am
BTW, that Gibson tag would look cool copied in Stainless Steel or (?) and used on a key ring...just thinkin' out loud...

Great idea on the key ring!

Even better, the Gibson tag on one side and the Mandolin Cafe logo on the other! Let's hear it for more Cafe swag! :);):grin::cool:

BTW, no laughing smilies in case lee is lurking.

:mandosmiley:

man dough nollij
Apr-08-2009, 2:32am
BTW, no laughing smilies in case lee is lurking.

I appreciate that!!!!!!!!:)):)):)):)):))

journeybear
Apr-08-2009, 12:44pm
Man! Talk about your comedy routines! One sets it up, the other knocks it down ... Have you guys thought about putting an act together? :)) Hey, Abbott!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. ;)

So, Lee, about your new avatar ... is that your actual license plate? Or have you been having some fun with PhotoShop? :confused:

I miss the penguin ...:crying:

man dough nollij
Apr-08-2009, 8:32pm
So, Lee, about your new avatar ... is that your actual license plate? Or have you been having some fun with PhotoShop? :confused:

I miss the penguin ...:crying:

Sorry 'bout the pengie. He wandered off.

That is an old license plate of mine from Montana. For some reason a couple of years ago I switched to Masonic vanity plates that say NAH LIJ. A surprising number of people ask me what that spells... I think I'll go to the DMV when I get back and switch to the NOLLIJ ones.

journeybear
Apr-08-2009, 10:24pm
Sorry 'bout the pengie. He wandered off.

Prolly not as much of a mando fan as you'd have liked. :(

That is an old license plate of mine from Montana. For some reason a couple of years ago I switched to Masonic vanity plates that say NAH LIJ. A surprising number of people ask me what that spells... I think I'll go to the DMV when I get back and switch to the NOLLIJ ones.

If fonetik speling evur kumz intu vog yu'l be ahed uv tha kurv! :grin: