PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone by Eastman

jim simpson
Mar-14-2009, 10:10am
Ebay auction/item number: 220377009290 - it's presented as a one-off Eastman made for Epiphone mandolin. It sure looks like Eastman's rosette. I like the Epiphone Masterbilt style headstock. There was a similar Epiphone on Ebay a while back with the same headstock. Perhaps Eastman was also responsible for that prototype. I wonder if it sounds just like an Eastman?

mando.player
Mar-14-2009, 10:24am
Looks like a photoshop job to me. The headstock looks too dark compared to how the fretboard and case are reflecting the light.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-14-2009, 11:00am
Here's (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220377009290&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp0.m37.l1313%26s atitle%3D220377009290%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1) a link to the auction. It would be easy enough to verify this. The auction says it was previously owned by a known musician. I wonder about the part where it says it was built in Marlyland.

Jim Broyles
Mar-14-2009, 1:19pm
Isn't Maryland where Gordon is located? Maybe he'll see this and give us the scoop.

JEStanek
Mar-14-2009, 1:47pm
Gordon isn't with Eastman anymore, or around here too often. I believe Saul is still in Maryland and he ma know, if you feel so inclined to call their office. That looks an awful lot like an 814. Who knows, it may very well be what they claim it is. It's still an Eastman...

Jamie

Jim Broyles
Mar-14-2009, 2:03pm
Yeah, I knew he wasn't with Eastman, but I figured he might know the story on these mandolins.

gregjones
Mar-14-2009, 3:31pm
"Epiphone mandolin made by the Eastman Company in their Maryland workshop."

Eastman has a shop in MD where they make mandolins?

JEStanek
Mar-14-2009, 4:18pm
Eastman has an office (http://www.eastmanmusiccompany.com/) in Maryland. Contact information is at the bottom of the lined page.

Jamie

Eric Platt
Mar-14-2009, 8:10pm
And the "known musician" has a website http://www.orrinstar.com/ where one could contact him. Didn't find any photos of that mandolin on there. He does appear to have a few mandos for sale, though. So could be he has more MAS than GAS.

Not my cup of tea, but it's still a somewhat cool prototype.

JEStanek
Mar-14-2009, 8:30pm
Robbyosullivan, thanks for weighing in and, while I appreciate the offer to discuss it here, I will ask that we stick to the posting guidelines and not use the forum to discuss an instrument for sale per point 4. I will ask folks to contact Robbyosullivan via PM or use the question section on e-bay.

Good luck with your sale,
Jamie

robbyosullivan
Mar-14-2009, 8:39pm
Understood. Sorry to have broken the rules on my first post! I promise it won't happen again. Thanks for this great resource - I have been lurking and using the online lessons and tablature for the past year and it's great!

jim simpson
Mar-15-2009, 12:04pm
Robby,
Thanks for posting. Here is a photo of the Epiphone that was on Ebay a while back (same headstock design).

jim simpson
Mar-15-2009, 12:08pm
image:

SChase@EastmanStrings
Mar-16-2009, 12:55pm
^that is the same headstock design, but obviously not an Eastman build. I will talk to Saul to find out more info when he gets off the phone.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-16-2009, 1:27pm
The F5 F-holes are very much like an MK a friend of mine had at one time.

SChase@EastmanStrings
Mar-16-2009, 1:44pm
I just talked to Saul....we made about a half-dozen prototypes for Epiphone 2-3 years ago. They were made in our workshop in China. We are not sure how these got out of the hands of Epiphone.

SChase@EastmanStrings
Mar-16-2009, 2:10pm
OK....do we have any fans of the Twilight Zone????

So, today I find this thread which showcases a mandolin practically nobody has ever seen or heard of.....

on a seemingly unrelated note...

L.R. Baggs contacted me last week to promote their new Radius mando pickup. As requested, they sent me a sample that we could install on one of our mandolins.....seems pretty normal, right?

This morning, I get the package in the mail, open it up to discover....

The Eastman / Epiphone mandolin is the mando that is pictured on their retail packaging for this pickup.

Seriously, is someone playing a joke on me?

MikeEdgerton
Mar-16-2009, 2:19pm
The auction was ended by the seller.