PDA

View Full Version : Differences between F-Hole and Oval hole mandolin

Howard33
Mar-12-2009, 3:19pm
Are there any significant differences in tonal quality between F and Oval style mandolins, or is it simply a cosmetic thing?

Steve Ostrander
Mar-12-2009, 3:23pm
Significant differences. BTW, this has been discussed many times so a search of the archives should turn up a lot of posts.

I have both. These are generalizations:

Oval hole: tubbier, bassier, louder to the player, more overtones, more sustain, more complex tone, better OT sound.

F-hole: projects out, less sustain, better chop, woodier, more of a BG tone

Howard33
Mar-12-2009, 3:28pm
Significant differences. BTW, this has been discussed many times so a search of the archives should turn up a lot of posts.

I have both. These are generalizations:

Oval hole: tubbier, bassier, louder to the player, more overtones, more sustain, more complex tone, better OT sound.

F-hole: projects out, less sustain, better chop, woodier, more of a BG tone

Thank you. If a moderator wants, they can delet this post them since its covered in more depth in another.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-12-2009, 3:29pm
It's actually a pretty hard thing to nail down in a search but take a look through these (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=oval&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) threads. The ones that are applicable will jump out at you.

Mike Bunting
Mar-12-2009, 3:32pm
Yes, the f hole model was designed to project sound forward in order to cut through the rest of the band. The were originally created as a classical instrument so their function would be comparable to an f hole archtop guitar in the big band setting. Not too much sustain and a "punchy" sound. Ovals, on the other hand tend to have more sustain and a sweeter tone and I find that because the sound is not projected out so much, that it is easier for the player to hear the full tone on the axe and they don't tend to be as loud as their f holed brethern. This how I hear it anyway, I'm sure there will be lots of other responses for you to ponder.

sunburst
Mar-12-2009, 4:04pm
...the f hole model was designed to project sound forward in order to cut through the rest of the band...

I suspect that's giving a little too much credit to the developers of f-hole mandolins and archtop guitars. I have a feeling it's more like; "the f-holes were borrowed from the violin family of instruments and the instruments turned out to project sound forward so the sound ended up cutting through the rest of the band.
Actually, I'm not sure that the sound "projects forward" more than the sound of a round/oval hole instrument, but the frequencies of the "harmonics" (partials) tend to occupy areas of the sound spectrum that don't compete with the other instruments of bands as much, so the sound tends to "cut" better.

As for the question of the OP, yes, they sound different.

Howard33
Mar-12-2009, 4:11pm
Once again thank you for the replies and thank you ME for the link.

Mike Bunting
Mar-12-2009, 4:40pm
I suspect that's giving a little too much credit to the developers of f-hole mandolins and archtop guitars. I have a feeling it's more like; "the f-holes were borrowed from the violin family of instruments and the instruments turned out to project sound forward so the sound ended up cutting through the rest of the band.
Actually, I'm not sure that the sound "projects forward" more than the sound of a round/oval hole instrument, but the frequencies of the "harmonics" (partials) tend to occupy areas of the sound spectrum that don't compete with the other instruments of bands as much, so the sound tends to "cut" better.

As for the question of the OP, yes, they sound different.

Sounds good to me. Though it seems to me that I hear my A jr better than my MF5, maybe it's the sustain that helps out in that department.