PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky 180s value

mightypants
Mar-08-2009, 9:44pm
I'm borrowing a Kentucky KM-180S from my school to learn to play. It's been sitting in a case, not being used for some time, and it's not in the greatest shape. I have it on loan until the end of the semester (mid may), but I was thinking I might ask if I can buy it from them. I'd like to have my own mandolin, but I'm a broke graduate student, so I really shouldn't be looking to buy a new one.

This one has very little cosmetic damage, but the pick guard is not attached--they still have it somewhere at school, I believe, but I don't know what kind of shape it's in. Additionally, the nut needs to be replaced. I don't have a very good concept of what these repairs will cost, but I'd like to get a rough estimate of what this mandolin is worth in its current condition so I could make a fair offer.

I saw a KM-180S on Elderly Instruments, in excellent condition, selling for $275. What do you think this one is worth, given the problems I've described above? Thanks.

ShaneJ
Mar-08-2009, 9:58pm
In obviously used condition, I'd guess $150 maybe. With needed nut repair too, I'd offer them $75-100 and see what happens.

fatt-dad
Mar-09-2009, 8:08am
It's likely a $200.00 mandolin with no defects and a good case. Do you know the age of the mandolin? There's a little more cache to a Kentucky that's made in Japan.

f-d

mightypants
Mar-09-2009, 1:43pm
I don't know the age, but the serial number is around 15000. It was made in Japan.

Thanks.

Michael Eck
Mar-09-2009, 2:59pm
I've got a MIJ KM180s and I think it's a fine instrument.

It was given to me quite a few years ago -- with the stipulation that I couldn't sell it or trade it -- and I've gotten lots of use out of it.

I now keep it strung in Howard Armstrong's Mosquito tuning as a little something different for the jug band.

If you can snag it for under $200, I think you'll have a nice instrument to grow on.

BTW, what gives the old 180s's a different, sort of unique sound is that the back and sides are mahogany, not maple.