PDA

View Full Version : Anybody played a Floodtone?

Jim
Mar-07-2009, 6:22pm
Been considering the Floodtone in the Classifieds, Anybody played one?

mandolirius
Mar-08-2009, 12:57am
I just bought one recently. It's a decent mandolin for the money. I had a bit of work done on mine when I got it (frets ends smoothed off, nut slots re-worked a bit, end pin installed). The classified one has a nice quilted back. Mine's flame maple and it also looks great. I guess my main complaint is the shape of the headstock. I'd like to see it cut a bit differently. I have to adjust my approach a bit when playing the first fret.

Jim
Mar-09-2009, 7:14am
Thanks for the info!

mandozilla
Mar-09-2009, 9:35am
Why in the heck would they call it a Floodtone?...Please excuse my ignorance on this, just looking for some edification here...Is Flood the luthiers name? The name implies that it has a soggy or boggy tone...I'm just sayin' ...:))

:mandosmiley:

CES
Mar-09-2009, 9:43am
The luthier's name is Thomas Flood...he actually has a pretty good rep on here for his restoration work and seems to sell reasonably priced instruments. There are a couple threads applauding his work on and prices of vintage restoration projects I found while looking further into the on in the classifieds as well. I haven't personally played any of his instruments or dealt with him directly, so despite the serious sounding tone to this post, I don't mean it to be that way...the first time I saw a Floodtone for sale was right after Hurricane Katrina, and I thought it was related in some way (ie, fund raiser, salvaged instruments, etc). I almost pounced on the one in the classifieds but apparently waited a little too late...I figured for that price and with the highly figured back the risk was minimal...I think it's working out well for my MAS, though :grin:

Dave Harbst
Mar-09-2009, 10:52am
Well, I can't say I play it much, but do I own one. I bought it about a year ago. I also owned one a few years back which I sold. When I bought the Floodtone, I was looking for an affordable American-made flattop, yet one that sounded pretty good. I wasn't totally happy with the first one I bought, but didn't return it right away, hoping I would be happier with it after I played it a while. That didn't happen, so I sold it(at a slight loss). Maybe it's hard to understand, but last year I decided to try another one. It was a little better than the first one, but still not quite what I was looking for. It wasn't expensive, so I kept it, thinking I might make a few changes to it myself, which I haven't gotten around to doing yet. Let me tell what I don't like about the one I have: The headstock is too big and heavy, which adds unnecessary weight to the mandolin and, as I theorize, may also deaden the sound of it. The instrument is very, very solidly built, perhaps even too much so. The bracing in the top I think is a bit overkill and I suspect somewhat deadens the instrument. Also, the lacquer finish on it seems to be quite "thick", and maybe that also helps to kill the volume and sustain. For comparison, I currently own a Mid-Mo and a Gypsy, both of which are really I really like. Over the last twenty years or so, I have owned several Flatirons, a Parsons and a few Mid-Mo's. The Floodtone that I have just doesn't have the volume and sustain of any of the others. I am keeping the Floodtone only because I want to use it as a work project to try to see if I can make it sound better. If I blow it, I guess I can just rationalize it away as an experiment that failed. I have about $300 in it, so it won't kill me financially if I mess it up.
Anyway, I'm not trying to be negative about the Floodtones overall-- just letting you know my personal experience. Hopefully, you'll get more replies to your inquiry and then you can make a decision.
Good luck.

Jim
Mar-14-2009, 11:06am
Thanks again for the info. Since I have a Flat top that sounds good and plays well ( and old regal ) i've decided to satisfy my MAS by buying a kit instead so I can put a little of myself into it. Thanks again for the input it helped make up my mind.

thomas flood
Mar-28-2009, 12:55am
Hi there, I'm Tom Flood the maker of Floodtone Mandolins and I'm responding to some of the recent criticisms of my older mandolins. Some of them did indeed have too much lacquer on them and I've since thinned them some and stopped using a grain filler. In the past that did dampen the sound a little bit. Also, the woods are now strictly thinned to 3/32nds and I use mahogany braces (sometimes I use mahogany on the bottom and Douglas Fir on the top). Each mandolin has three braces on the the top and bottom and they are only slightly larger than the old Martins that had five on the bottom. The perfect mandolin has a balance between the strength of the bracing,and the woods and its ability to resonate or flex. That is also different for each type of wood. Some of the headstocks were also a bit large and did not allow easy access to the first fret. That problem has been resolved with a new design. To everyone, I appreciate constructive criticism like I've read on the cafe because it allows me to reflect and better the design and building process. My mandolins are evolving and each successive one is somewhat better than the one before it. It is also important to know that each of my mandolins are unique and some are better in some areas (or styles of music) than others (That is usually reflected in the price). Every instrument is however solidly built, to last more than a lifetime. My goal is to master the bent top model and make them the best out there in their genre. I also have two new designs coming out. One is derivative of the old Weymanns but it also has some personal innovations. An original new design is risky for any builder, as it is in many situations where something differs from the strict norm. Anyway, I'm confident they will be an improvement because hind sight is always 20/20and history is self evident (I have many old instruments to compare mine too). Lastly, I'd be happy to share any information about my mandolins or, create something unique or custom for anyone interested.

epicentre
Mar-28-2009, 2:11pm
Tom has recently built me an oval hole mandolin, which will be sent on its' journey North this coming Monday.

He took some good pictures of it, and has my permission to put them up on the cafe if he wishes.

If not, I'll try to post some when it arrives........not my strong suit.:redface:

Before I asked Tom to build me one, I spoke to a couple of folks who either had luthier work done by Tom, or own of his mandolins; and I was able to listen to one over the phone. Positive vibes, every one.

By all indications, this one should be an instrument I"ll be playing for quite a few years.

American made, solid woods, small shop, better than a reasonable price. Isn't this what a lot of people seek. ?

JEStanek
Mar-28-2009, 4:15pm
Tom, thanks for posting here. I'll also encourage you to post a picture of your new designs in the post a pic section or mandolins in progress section. There is a subset of us who love the flat/bent tops mandolins and enjoy seeing new/old things.

Jamie

epicentre
Apr-11-2009, 6:14pm
:cool:...........Yes, I have. Played one, that is. Now, own it. Custom oval hole.

And it's everything I expected. Really nice low action, great ol'time tone. Good for just about anything except BG. If one really bears down on it, it has a funky bluesy voice. My gosh, I like it.:mandosmiley:

The loudness was an unexpected, but much appreciated gift. Great for the Celtic sessions, where the mando gets lost amidst the fiddles and the accordians. Thankfully, we don't as yet, have a b@#jo.

Easy player, and, with my short fingers, the 13" scale (custom order) is a plus.

Yepper, count me a Floodtone fan.

epicentre
May-17-2009, 1:43pm
:disbelief: And;

Let me add:

Since I changed the nut to get rid of the poorly cut A slots, and the concomitant clatter (installed a Tusq), and shimmed the bridge to get rid of the string buzz, it's even better.

Will probably hand it down to my grandkids................:whistling:

Pity his e.mail isn't working.

I hope nothing happens to Audey Ratliff before I save enough money to buy a good mandolin.

:popcorn:

emitfo
May-17-2009, 1:59pm
Interesting. I never would have thought of it that way. Before I knew his name was Thomas Flood I assumed that "Floodtone" was a FLOOD of tone, you know like after a torrential downpour you've got a whole lot of water so after the building of the mandolin you've got a flood of tone. Obviously I was wrong--it has nothing to do with that.
:)

Why in the heck would they call it a Floodtone?...Please excuse my ignorance on this, just looking for some edification here...Is Flood the luthiers name? The name implies that it has a soggy or boggy tone...I'm just sayin' ...:))

Darryl Wolfe
May-19-2009, 9:23am
I applaud Toms work and have been following his occassional ads in the classifieds for years. It is quite obvious that he has a dedication to restoring some of these older flat top that are about ready for the trash can. That in itself is a great service to the mandolin community at very little to no profit for himself.

It is only fitting that he build some of these largely neglected mandolins from scratch