MikeEdgerton
Mar-06-2009, 12:27pm
Nice.

mdlorenz
Mar-06-2009, 12:45pm
mmm, bacon.

crazymandolinist
Mar-06-2009, 12:46pm
Gaga...........For I have never seen the likes of thee! I must have!!!

SChase@EastmanStrings
Mar-06-2009, 12:54pm
You sure did score on that one Trevor!!! That is the best one I have seen!

mando.player
Mar-06-2009, 1:01pm
Couple of questions.

- What's the story with the binding. It looks like it's more of a corner bead than a traditional binding.

- What's the neck like? Is it the same as all the other normal Eastmans?

It sure is a nice looking mando.

trevor
Mar-06-2009, 1:11pm
Charlie,
I came home without it... I will answer your questions tomorrow. I play so many different necks I don't notice.
The bindings do stick out violin style.

JEStanek
Mar-06-2009, 1:12pm
I do like it. Wish I could fair trade my 2 point for one... stinks being strapped for ca$h. Beautiful, Trevor (and Sean).

Jamie

viv
Mar-06-2009, 1:28pm
o LAWD.....makez me have a drool................

and btw jamie--love the hat!

mdlorenz
Mar-06-2009, 1:31pm
Love eastman mandos. Don't love the eastman logo.

GRW3
Mar-06-2009, 2:30pm
I don't dislike it as much from these pictures as I did from the NAMM pictures*. I think tone would be the decider on this instrument. I understand this is another Dawg inspired choice based on his original instrument. Anybody point to specific CD tracks in which he plays this mando?

*NO I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER HELPING OF CROW! That's a too often occurence, and I make it clear that these are personal opinions (from pictures) not universal judgement.

JEStanek
Mar-06-2009, 2:39pm
I don't know if the DG series made by Eastman is supposed to be representative of instruments he's recorded with but instruments from his collection. The Bacon Artist is one of those long lost brands and styles that appeal to some of us (me espescially). I really like the headstock inlay (even the logo). I would love to hear Trevors sound assesment compared to the regular Eastman oval holes, similar or dissimilar? Either way I would probably enjoy it (I enjoyed my 814's sound). Hey, I'm glad not everyone loves them, they are a limited production run!

Jamie

Ted Eschliman
Mar-06-2009, 5:32pm
*NO I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER HELPING OF CROW!

A little bacon go good wit' crow, George!...

MANDOLINMYSTER
Mar-06-2009, 6:24pm
I like em too, but I think different tuners and tailpiece would of been nice, something in keeping with a vintage look. Still very nice. I saw another at Sylvan Music's web site.

Ken Olmstead
Mar-06-2009, 10:55pm
They look soooooo sweet!

Mandolin
Mar-06-2009, 10:58pm
You sure did score on that one Trevor!!! That is the best one I have seen!

Hey Sean,

What shall the DG3 be? come on, you know you want to let it slip.

Mike Snyder
Mar-06-2009, 11:14pm
Should that not be Woofy the puppy dog, but rather Porky the Pig on the truss rod cover?

Mandolin
Mar-06-2009, 11:57pm
no, the pig face is in the back's sunburst. don't you see it. I think we need to shove the pigs foot a little further in the fire. :mandosmiley:

trevor
Mar-07-2009, 8:50am
V neck, 1 1/8".

Soundwise, I just compared it with 504 and 804.. in a different league, seriously impressive.

wannabethile
Mar-11-2009, 3:37pm
According to NAMM, I believe, the next Eastman DG model is gonna be a Lyon & Healy model.

Suh-weet!!!

JEStanek
Mar-11-2009, 5:02pm
I was hoping for a cylinder back. I got the L&H thing covered ;).

Jamie

Ted Eschliman
Mar-12-2009, 8:25am
According to NAMM, I believe, the next Eastman DG model is gonna be a Lyon & Healy model.

Suh-weet!!!

Pssssst....
Yes. Dola.

JEStanek
Mar-12-2009, 10:21am
A L&H dola! Wowzers, I don't have that covered...

Jamie

wannabethile
Mar-14-2009, 4:16pm
Woah. Hold the phone.
You can't tease my empty pockets like that, ha ha

JEStanek
Mar-14-2009, 4:22pm
He just said dola... I said L&H. I've never been to Nam or NAAM. In the words of Treebeard, "Don't be hasty, my young hobbit."

Jamie

Ken Olmstead
Mar-14-2009, 7:01pm
He just said dola... I said L&H. I've never been to Nam or NAAM. In the words of Treebeard, "Don't be hasty, my young hobbit."

Jamie

The L&H dola was also confirmed in the latest FBJ. Very cool line. They would fun to collect! If only they came with my Happy Meal!! :)):crying:

JEStanek
Mar-14-2009, 8:24pm
Ken, if those came with a Happy Meal I surely would be love'n it! I'm gonna get my copy of FBJ off the kitchen island and really read that article! Thanks, Ken.

Jamie

MANDOLINMYSTER
Mar-15-2009, 4:17pm
I noticed that the mandolin store has one also, with a different sound hole rosette. I like Trevors simple sound hole ring, more like the originals.

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-15-2009, 5:31pm
Pictures don't show it, but the Bacon has a shorter neck (palm side) than the old Gibson A's.
I had the pleasure of playing one at NAMM, and it sounded great. That short neck makes for a large soundbox, and the instrument certainly takes advantage of it.

Daniel

jefflester
Apr-22-2009, 3:51pm
My teacher told me last night he heard the model had been recalled. Some problem serious enough that Eastman needed to pull them all back?

SChase@EastmanStrings
Apr-22-2009, 4:57pm
My teacher told me last night he heard the model had been recalled. Some problem serious enough that Eastman needed to pull them all back?

Not true.

When making the prototypes, we made several changes to the soundhole and tailpiece design. We settled on the final design using the simple soundhole and the standard Eastman tailpiece. Before making that decision, the first batch was made with an authentic style tailpiece which left the string ends exposed which would scratch your arm and snag sleeves. Instead of trying to do an intrusive retrofit to the original run of about 12 pieces, we decided to sell them "as-is". These few that we sold may be desirable because they are the "true" replicas as opposed to the production run that will be "moderized" for better functionality.

-Sean

JEStanek
Apr-22-2009, 5:16pm
Sean, do you have any photos of the models with the replica tailpieces? I sure would like to see them.

Jamie

Chris Keth
Apr-22-2009, 5:17pm
http://joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2005/10/bacon_dispenser.jpg;)

jefflester
Apr-22-2009, 5:24pm
Thanks for explanation Sean.

EDIT: apologies for any alarmist rumour mongering

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-22-2009, 6:26pm
Nope, doesn't curl my tootsies... holding out for the L&H 'Dola...

SChase@EastmanStrings
Apr-23-2009, 12:21pm
Sean, do you have any photos of the models with the replica tailpieces? I sure would like to see them.

Jamie

They all sold but I can try to dig up a pic from a dealer site.

Chris Keth
Apr-23-2009, 2:36pm
MMM, bacon.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qI87dii39ho/Rj9islTPJ8I/AAAAAAAAANU/m-AIq_mG344/s400/bacon-dispenser.jpg
:))

I like the look of it, but does the soundhole look disproportionately small to anyone else?:confused:

JEStanek
Apr-23-2009, 5:45pm
I think the bass side point and pickguard fool your eye. I'm a big fan of the Bacon artists and L&H Asymmetrical 2 point style. In the photo below (from Elderly's site) the soundhole looks more like every other Eastman soundhole.
http://www.elderly.com/images/new_instruments/90N/DGM2_front.jpg

Jamie

Upon further reflection, it looks like I found one with the prototype tailpiece two! Two birds one post!

SChase@EastmanStrings
Apr-24-2009, 12:11pm
^yes, that is the V1 prototype with the authentic tail and Eastman rosette

delsbrother
Dec-24-2009, 12:49am
OK, I just got one of these from Dennis, and I gotta ask... With no endpin, how do you attach a strap??? How did the original Bacons' tp cover attach, and did they have endpins?

It has a very pleasant tone. Played softly it is very sweet, and yet it can be pushed to be quite loud without turning to mush. The bass is not "tubby" at all, and it has very nice sustain. I'm going to have to adjust my picking technique - I'm used to bashing away with very thick, rigid (dare I say, Dawggish) picks. But this one responds much better to much thinner ones, in my hands, at least.

Tom C
Dec-24-2009, 9:13am
Pictures don't show it, but the Bacon has a shorter neck (palm side) than the old Gibson A's.
I had the pleasure of playing one at NAMM, and it sounded great. That short neck makes for a large soundbox, and the instrument certainly takes advantage of it.

Daniel

I noticed that too. I love the design but the 12th is too far into the body.

allenhopkins
Dec-24-2009, 10:28am
It's my Christmas present; bought it at Bernunzio's, who took a good chunk off the list price as part of his current sale. Since I hadn't bought a mandolin since, say, August (Martin 1920 Style A from Stutzman's), I was about due. 'Twill be under the tree tomorrow.

Caleb
Dec-27-2009, 1:16pm
Love eastman mandos. Don't love the eastman logo.

I've seen negative comments about Eastman's logo quite a bit here. My Eastman has the old one, and I agree the "E" is pretty ugly and it bugs me sometimes. But the new logo looks great to me. A vast improvement, in my opinion.

Chuck Naill
Dec-27-2009, 5:27pm
I've seen negative comments about Eastman's logo quite a bit here. My Eastman has the old one, and I agree the "E" is pretty ugly and it bugs me sometimes. But the new logo looks great to me. A vast improvement, in my opinion.

Just wait, eventually the old original logos will be worth more. :))

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-28-2009, 2:39am
Well Trevor,for me,that's the only Mandolin pic.you've ever posted on here that made me cringe. It's purely my personal taste,but i think it's awful. It certainly looks nicely constructed,but the shape of it leaves me cold,& that huge,chunky pick-guard !!!????. If ever a Mandolin was made to prove to us that 'F' styles have a beauty & grace of form, & that 'A' styles are simply beautiful,that's the one. Sorry about that Trevor,but it's just too radical for me,
Ivan:disbelief:

Mark Walker
Dec-28-2009, 4:18pm
Very nice! I like the colors and finish! :)

Initially it looked awfully similar to the Silver Angel Fantasma (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39979&highlight=fantasma) but there are clear differences. (Oval hole, offset points, etc.)

Still an interesting design!

delsbrother
Dec-28-2009, 6:25pm
Well, the design's pretty old, as it's a replica of an instrument from the '20s.

As far as the aesthetics go, I think it's a product of the period in which it was designed (what would that be, Art Nouveau? Neo Classical?). I also think it would look great in a Classical quartette, next to a K2 'cello, an F4, and perhaps an L&H scroll head mandola.. :)

Though I must admit I wish Eastman had replicated the original tailpiece cover. Visually, it really misses the silver, the ornate engraving, and the added symmetry (with itself, with the body's form, and with the headstock shape).

JEStanek
Dec-28-2009, 7:44pm
The one I linked to has the replica TP but was abandoned. Most of the rest have the standard Eastman TP but use purfling instead of the usual Eastman oval rosette. I still really love this model.

Jamie

delsbrother
Dec-28-2009, 8:35pm
I got one of the first run/demo/prototype/whatever of this model. The tailpiece doesn't have a cover at all, only the string mounting plate, as shown in your pic. But the mounting plate doesn't have any flanges for mounting a cover, so unless I'm mistaken you'd have to modify it or replace it altogether if you wanted to get a cover on there.

From what I can tell it seems like the originals slid on from the top like the Waverly cloud tailpieces (?). I think I'll attempt to find one of those and see if it fits in the space where the Eastman mounting plate is now. Then I can try to find someone to make a repro cover to fit. Wish me luck! :))

Here's a photo showing the cover on an original Bacon (http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/durbien/Baco55f.jpg) (not sure whose photo this is, or where I got it off the web, so if it's yours, thanks). In this shot you can also see the unusual arching and fiddle-edge binding on the original mandolin, both features Eastman chose to reproduce. I personally think the cover compliments the whole design. The current Eastman production run substitutes a regular Eastman tailpiece, but it's not quite the same - it's more Art Deco vs. Art Nouveau, if I'm getting my genres correct. ;)

JEStanek
Dec-28-2009, 9:20pm
I prefer the original. It's quite similar to the L&H style A TP covers, another instrument I really dig. Since the DG3 model will be a L&H mandola, I wonder if they couldn't make some good repros with the lyre shape and use them... just suggesting, Sean. Too poor to make the investment myself anytime soon :(

Jamie