PDA

View Full Version : What are they and what are they for?

Tripping Springs
Mar-06-2009, 12:38am
What are the two areas which sit on either side of the fretboard where the fretboard joins the body? Some mandolins have them, and some don't. They usually have iviroid binding that is stright and perpendicular to the strings. The binding curves around following the body then goes stright toward the fretboard and slopes up to the fretboard. Are they to reinforce the joint between the fretboard and the body? And if so, why don't all mandolins have them?

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-06-2009, 1:41am
The part that you refer to is called the 'riser block'.Follow the link to see the building stages that
go to make one of Lynn Dudenbostel's wonderful instruments,
Saska ;)http://dudenbostel.leanside.com/1.html

testore
Mar-06-2009, 10:45am
They ,in my opinion, where there originally to cover up the dove tail neck joint. It's kinda ugly especially if it's not perfectly done. They don't have a lot of use near as I can tell. An elevated violin style neck joint has been done many times and looks very nice. I make my mandolins traditionally though(with the riser area) because it's "supposed" to be there. I don't use a dove tail joint and my riser area is purely cosmetic.

mandolooter
Mar-06-2009, 11:19am
so testore what kinda neck joint r u using?
not meaning to hijack the thread!:cool:

testore
Mar-06-2009, 12:21pm
Violin style. It's a dove tail of sorts but there is no neck wood overhanging the sides. No pics but I think it's like the one in Siminoffs book.

Lee
Mar-06-2009, 1:01pm
I'm kinda partial to riser blocks too.

Bruce Clausen
Mar-06-2009, 8:34pm
I see Keith Newell leaves them off. Probably other builders too. No extra wood, no plastic binding. To me that's a cleaner look.

BC

woodwizard
Mar-06-2009, 9:00pm
I like em... what the heck ... I'm stuck on tradition I guess .

Michael Lewis
Mar-07-2009, 2:31am
I do the intersection either way depending on the model and look I want, but I prefer the look without them. It IS a cleaner appearance.

Keith Newell
Mar-07-2009, 11:01am
I leave them off when I can, I never really liked the riser block look but if someone wants traditional style I do it. The deal is if you leave it off everything has to fit perfect to get a clean look. Here is an F style I have hanging on the wall at Ken Cartwrights. I think the lack of riser block adds to the design not takes away.
Keith

Tripping Springs
Mar-14-2009, 6:10am
Thanks, everybody, that explains it.