PDA

View Full Version : after one year...

Trey Young
Mar-05-2009, 7:57pm
with my Elkhorn A-5, I am proud to say that I have only suffered from one case of MAS (that doggone Kelley F4...) and before this mando I couldn't hold onto one for more than a couple of months at a time. In the year or so I've owned this mandolin I have gone from considering myself primarily a guitar player, to playing mandolin 99% of the time. So the Elkhorn has seen some playing time and has matured nicely over the year. Any way to end my long windedness, here is a link to a youtube video that I hastily recorded between my daughter's bedtime and my bedtime, such precious little time...nothing terribly special, but it is what it is.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXjaLvk8pZ0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXjaLvk8pZ0)

recon
Mar-05-2009, 8:25pm
Nice job Trey.

Mandolin
Mar-05-2009, 8:31pm
I played that kelley along with the loar style A5 last weekend. The best 3k dollar mandolins I have ever played. The F4 sounded better than any gibson F4 I have ever played. And that quilt was amazing!

Trey Young
Mar-06-2009, 1:59am
Thanks Scott, hey where abouts are you in Georgia?

Mandolin, yeah that F4 has been haunting me ever since Skip first put pictures of it up...

Mandolin
Mar-08-2009, 4:44pm
It sounds better than it looks. He did the traditional transverse bracing and everything

Trey Young
Mar-08-2009, 11:18pm
ouch....

Chris Biorkman
Mar-08-2009, 11:41pm
That wasn't very nice.

Ken Olmstead
Mar-09-2009, 12:22am
It is what it is. Sounds good Trey! No need to think of yourself as a guitarist or a mandolin player, better to just think of yourself as a musician and be done with it! Playing is living, so make the most of it! I never seen anybody attach a strap to an A style like that before, I may give it a try sometime! Glad you found a mandolin you like so much, addictive little buggers aren't they!!

Thanks for sharing!

pigpen
Mar-09-2009, 8:08am
What a great woody sound. I really enjoyed the lower registers on your mandolin.

I have the same story as you, with mandolin taking over my guitar-playing life recently. Ain't it great?

Trey Young
Mar-09-2009, 9:34am
thanks folks for the kind words. I'm still working on building a fiddle tune repertoire, mostly I've been playing with other folks and playing along to songs with words where I chord along and then think up of somehting to play during the breaks, but I'm excited to start building up a tune bank. Yeah it wasn't a concious decision manolin over guitar, it just sort of happened. My other mandolins I didn't care for the sound of just them. They were all too harsh, then I got this Elkhorn and all of the sudden it didn't sound bad to have just the mandolin playing (due in large part to the woody and full sound and the great low end response). For what ever reason I feel like the mandolin speaks to me a bit more than the guitar did...maybe it's just a phase, who knows.

Ken, as far as the strap goes, I never could get used to it being tied around the headstock, always seemed like it was in my way, so I tried this and I really like it.