PDA

View Full Version : Lloyd Loar on ebay !!!

jeff mercer
Mar-04-2009, 6:09pm
...or at least the handle from a Loar case, allegedly :) !

How on earth do you authenticate a case handle ?

Were they actually any different to period F4 cases etc. ?

Now if he had a set of Handels, that'd be a different matter entirely :mandosmiley:

jeff mercer
Mar-04-2009, 6:12pm
Oops, in my excitement I forgot..ebay item 170307566636

mandozilla
Mar-04-2009, 10:05pm
Hey Jeff
I was thinking of trying to win that Loar case handle...Maybe I can get a Loar 1 piece at a time. HaHaHa :))

Did that sucker say "Lloyd Loar or at least Gibson anywhere on it? :grin:

:mandosmiley:

jeff mercer
Mar-05-2009, 1:26am
I'm with you, Mandozilla :)

I'll scour ebay for a "Lloyd Loar" case latch next, and after that we'll look for some Loar rivets, and another couple of Loar latches..and some more Loar rivets..then maybe a Loar case lid..or am I aiming too high too early :)) !

Reminds me of the Johnny Cash song "One Piece at a Time", in which he smuggles out parts to make his very own Cadillac while working on the production line..It takes him so long that all the specs & models have changed so many times that none of the parts will line up :mandosmiley:

Goodin
Mar-05-2009, 11:27am
This is the second time its been up for bid. the first time he wanted alot more...i cant remember how much but it was in the hundreds...and he says it isnt even usable!

mandozilla
Mar-05-2009, 1:38pm
Lloyd Loar my rear end! ;)

It's probably some ratty old handle from a doctors' bag or a briefcase or something but some poor sap will probably snatch it up. :grin:

In the words of P.T. Barnum, there's one born every minute. :))

sunburst
Mar-05-2009, 1:47pm
A Lloyd Loar case handle??!! Pa-lease!!!
What have we come to?!

blacksmith
Mar-05-2009, 2:06pm
There was Lloyd's DNA on the handle, they were able to match it.

man dough nollij
Mar-05-2009, 2:13pm
But wait! A very famous senator once carried it to Africa! :grin:

jeff mercer
Mar-05-2009, 4:46pm
Love the DNA theory, Blacksmith :))

You sometimes hear reference to the occasional dud-sounding Loar

These were obviously the ones that snuck past him when he was busy inspecting case handles...

mandozilla
Mar-05-2009, 5:02pm
I wonder what happened to the rest of the case and I wonder if there was a Loar in it when the handle came off? :))

"I got it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime" :grin:

mrmando
Mar-05-2009, 5:07pm
If Loar's DNA is on the handle, maybe we could clone him! In that case the handle WOULD be worth some bucks...

mandozilla
Mar-05-2009, 7:07pm
If Loar's DNA is on the handle, maybe we could clone him! In that case the handle WOULD be worth some bucks...

Yah! Then we could each have our own acoustic engineer and real Lloyd Loar! How cool would that be mrmando? HaHaHa :))

Mandolin
Mar-05-2009, 9:17pm
As my father says, the mother of idiots is always pregnant. Or something like that!

jeff mercer
Mar-05-2009, 10:26pm
We'd certainly want to avoid a "Jurassic Park" scenario with our cloned Lloyd Loars..

Imagine..hundreds of Lloyd Loars roaming free around the Gibson factory..bursting out of air-conditioning ducts..lecturing employees on Acoustic Engineering while hanging over the toilet stall during their break..

..Turning up en masse at Bluegrass jams screaming " What is this HORRIBLE MUSIC you are playing on my beautiful CLASSICAL MANDOLIN !!!"

..wrestling cheap F5 copies from the arms of beginners ,throwing them to the floor, then jumping up & down on them repeatedly, yelling "This ( crack!) is a F@#%&g ( crunch!) ABOMINATION ( twang !)..

As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for :) !

allenhopkins
Mar-05-2009, 10:33pm
So, can I sell on eBay a dust bunny that fell out of the f-hole of a Lloyd Loar mandolin? Or a clipped-off A-string end that was once attached to a Lloyd Loar? Or a cardboard box that a Lloyd Loar was once shipped in?

Who was the Diamondbacks baseball player that once spit out a piece of gum, which was later sold on eBay? Can't remember...

mandozilla
Mar-05-2009, 10:41pm
I have a genuine hinge pin off of a Loar case...I wonder what I could get for it on Ebay? :))...comes with a genuine certificate of authenticity signed by Lloyd Loar himself. :grin:

Mandolin
Mar-05-2009, 11:58pm
I have a gilchrist pick, how much do those go for? :mandosmiley:

mrmando
Mar-06-2009, 4:38am
Who was the Diamondbacks baseball player that once spit out a piece of gum, which was later sold on eBay? Can't remember...
Luis Gonzalez (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Gonzalez_(outfielder)). Remembered not for his 57 HRs in 2001 or the World Series-winning hit off Mariano Rivera, but for a wad of gum...

zeke
Mar-09-2009, 6:45pm
This really has become my favorite section of the Cafe these days; you just don't know what folks will find.

Keep 'em coming, guys!