PDA

View Full Version : Please Keep An Eye Out For My F-12

journeybear
Mar-04-2009, 4:41pm
It's coming up to a year and a half since my F-12 was stolen. I've been keeping an eye on ebay pretty diligently but it occurred to me that the more eyes the better, and it seems like a lot of people here are looking in more places and more often than I. I just saw a 1965 F-12 on ebay ("1965 Gibson F-12 Mandolin - F5 F-5 Scroll - PRICE DROP") - not mine, though the missing tailpin had me going - which inspired this action. I owned this instrument for some thirty years, and it means a great deal to me, as I'm sure you all can understand. The following is an updated version of my original post. I've also added a couple of pictures - not the best quality but you'll get an idea of the coloring.

Stolen in New Haven CT, Sunday 8/26/07 2:30 PM: 1966 Gibson F-12, yellow/orange to dark brown sunburst finish with yellow ivoroid binding, 1/4" tailpin jack connected to two Barcus Berry hot dots inside the bridge, says "The Gibson" on the pegboard, exposed tuning gears, no pick guard, curlicue on pegboard cracked and glued, could use a fret job, blue and purple nylon strap, half a dollar bill inside the body (yes, there's a story there), serial number 557 858. It's clearly been played, a lot. It was in a black rectangular case with orange interior, also containing an IntelliTouch tuner, some tools, a kazoo, jews harp, etc., and some important documents. Reported to New Haven police, case number - #38454.

Her name is Amanda Lynn - yes, Mandy Lynn for short - but she will not come when called. That's been a problem from time to time, but never more so than now.

If you should happen to see this, please contact me or the police immediately. I thank you from the bottom of my heart, and hope with all my spirit that you never have to face a similar situation.

Steve Bornstein
P.O. Box 95
Key West FL 33041
305-294-1920 (solid leads only, thanks)
journeybear@hotmail.com

Jonmiller
Mar-04-2009, 5:04pm
Sorry, I hope you get it back.
In 1972, I was 17, an elderly fellow willed to me his 34' Vegavox III plectrum banjo which I played all over-Shaky's, Disneyland, etc. 7 years later it was stolen from my place with a 40's Gibson archtop (not fancy) and my gibson 335 electric. I would love to have that banjo back!!!!! Back then I had no idea where to look besides the local Police dept.

Bernie Daniel
Mar-04-2009, 7:26pm
No doubt you have already thought of this -- but since it needs work and has the money inside -- have you posted notices in all the luthier trade magazines?

I sure hope that you get it back -- looks a lot like my '52 F-12. They are not that common of an instrument really.

mandozilla
Mar-04-2009, 10:00pm
Got all your info and I'm watching on ebay and around SoCal Steve...I'll get the word out to all my pickin' buddies out here....This really sucks! I hope we can help you find your F-12.:mad:

:mandosmiley:

Skip Kelley
Mar-05-2009, 7:39am
Steve, sorry to hear your mandolin was stolen! Make sure you contact all the nearby pawn shops and have them keep an eye out for it. Best wishes!

journeybear
Mar-05-2009, 9:09am
No doubt you have already thought of this -- but since it needs work and has the money inside -- have you posted notices in all the luthier trade magazines?

I sure hope that you get it back -- looks a lot like my '52 F-12. They are not that common of an instrument really.

Actually, I hadn't thought of that. As I said, it's been nearly 1 1/2 years now and I don't know how much use posting a notice like that would do now, but I'll look into it. An auction site like ebay - and there must be others, though that seems to be the one everyone goes to - seems less time-sensitive, as items for bid come and go so often.

At the time, after filing a report with the police and getting very little encouragement from them, I started calling the local pawn shops, until one owner said they get a weekly report from the police that lists reported stolen items, so my calling around wasn't necessary, and also said that mandolins being much less common than guitars, any good pawn shop worker would notice if one came in. It seemed more likely that the thief would sell it to a fence who would have connections to high-end customers. I also informed my luthier, who said he gets appraisal requests from all over the state for all kinds of vintage instruments - even Gibson consults him occasionally - so it was possible my mandolin might cross his path that way.

I also joined the Cafe and posted a classified notice. I just now thought that putting the word out here in this section might alert those who scour ebay and craigslist and other sites, plus I was able to come up with a couple of photos. BTW, it didn't need THAT much work :) but I thought it best to give a description of distinguishing characteristics, like scars (no tattoos). The money inside - half a dollar bill - is neither here nor there, really, just trying to think of everything.

Thanks for the wishes everybody. The silver lining in this is that in the process of watching ebay I did find a 1917 Gibson A, which is a wonderful instrument - not a replacement, but an enhancement - so at least I have something good to play. :mandosmiley:

jim_n_virginia
Mar-07-2009, 9:41am
I hope there is a special place in Hades for a bum who steals a man's musical instrument. To me it would be like stealing a man's tools so he couldn't go to work. :mad:

I hope you had insurance. I am with Heritage now and all my instruments are covered but what use is the money if the instrument has sentimental value?

I scour instrument classifieds everyday and I put your info on my bulletin board and I will keep and eye out!

God I hope you catch the crook!

mrmando
Mar-07-2009, 6:13pm
I sure hope this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330312893134) isn't your F12.

allenhopkins
Mar-07-2009, 10:19pm
I sure hope this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330312893134) isn't your F12.

No, apparently it's an F-15 (a what?)...

man dough nollij
Mar-07-2009, 11:15pm
http://op-for.com/F15%20ocean.jpg

journeybear
Mar-07-2009, 11:44pm
I hope there is a special place in Hades for a bum who steals a man's musical instrument. To me it would be like stealing a man's tools so he couldn't go to work. :mad:

I hope you had insurance. I am with Heritage now and all my instruments are covered but what use is the money if the instrument has sentimental value?

I scour instrument classifieds everyday and I put your info on my bulletin board and I will keep and eye out!

God I hope you catch the crook!

I wish I had had insurance :( but you are right about the sentimental value. :crying: We had been together for thirty years - longer than my folks stayed married - and had been through a lot in that time. I tried telling the cops that it was a career-ending crime, so they would understand the significance of the loss, but I don't think they got it. I've found a nice old A model since then, but it's not really a replacement. :(

Thanks for your kind words and for looking out for it. And about that F-15 (the fighter, not the "instrument"): it might not be much good for locating the thief, but it would sure come in handy when it's time to deal out some retribution! :mad:

Steve-o
Mar-14-2009, 10:35am
No, apparently it's an F-15 (a what?)...

F15...(apologies to journeybear)

journeybear
Mar-14-2009, 8:27pm
No apologies necessary. In fact, if you could, keep that F-15 on standby, ready to be deployed should the perps ever be located ... or if the guy who was trying to sell an F-15 mandolin resurfaces :))