PDA

View Full Version : Dan B's Weins in FBJ

Ken Olmstead
Mar-04-2009, 12:44pm
Cool article Dan! This appeals the “other” side of me. The “main” side likes mandolins like Brentrup’s Stealth or Eclipse or the Phoenix Jazz and Neoclassical or Ted E’s stunning Clark JM. These are all different, a departure from the usual stuff. The “other” side really appreciates the art of trying to recreate something of significance in a very exacting way.

I can’t imagine how incredibly hard it would be to make a mandolin that looked, played and sounded so close to a Loar, that even the fortunate "connoisseurs’" that own the real thing would be impressed or better yet, “fooled.” Of course there is no such thing as exact is there? Since there are plenty of seeming small differences between the real Loars, one could really only set out to copy a particular example. Otherwise, you would wind up with an amalgam of several examples. Of course this is an advantage of having one built to get those tiny details the way you want them.

The artist that could successfully pull this off must equate to a classical musician. Someone that is willing to restrain their own personal interpretations in order to recreate an existing work of art in such an exacting, predescribed manner.

My hat is off to Dan and Jamie for trying to faithfully recreate the “Holy Grail.” I am sure that Dan would be willing to take donations of any copies of the Chicago Tribune from the late 30’s that you might have laying around! (You will have to read the article!):grin:

Thanks FBJ for publishing such cool stuff that is not the normal “mainstream” drivel. You folks are obviously appeal to the “main” side of me!

By the way, the photographs of the Weins are quite savory!

danb
Mar-04-2009, 12:51pm
Thanks Ken,

Over here in England, my own copy hasn't hit yet so I'm jealous ! I'm not 100% sure which photos they used, but some are Jamie's, some are mine.

I've just heard from Nancy that my case is ready to ship too, though I can't believe I forgot to ask her if she used those old Chicago Tribune's I mailed... hehe

Ken Olmstead
Mar-04-2009, 11:52pm
I am sure you will get yours soon Dan, and of course I meant 1920's Chicago Tribunes! :redface:

FBJ also reports that a Lyon & Healy Mandola is on the list of Eastman's Dawg collection, as well as, some 6 string and tenor guitars!:popcorn:

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-05-2009, 2:14am
Ken /Dan - as i won't be getting FBJ,could either of you very kindly post a couple of photos for me & the rest of us ?,
Saska ~:>

danb
Mar-05-2009, 5:13am
some of the photos have previously found their way to the net, but you can see various shots of Wiens 23 here:

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/show_mando.pl?3643

Ken Olmstead
Mar-05-2009, 11:11am
Dan - the nut is altered somewhat at the A string. Is this a intonation thing?

danb
Mar-05-2009, 11:19am
Yes, it's a compensated nut. I think there's a thread somewhere where Jamie explained it here when I first posted pictures of the completed mandolin. Helps the intonation, mostly on the Bb when fingered on the A string.

Dagger Gordon
Mar-06-2009, 3:36am
Hi Dan,

Just to be clear.
Did the original Loars have compensated nuts or is this a 'modification' which Jamie has made?
Otherwise, do we assume that the original Loars had some intonation problems?

How are you, BTW?

Dagger

Matt Hutchinson
Mar-06-2009, 4:21am
Hi Dan,

Got my copy of FBJ yesterday, opened it up and first thing I saw was your mandolin! Great article and some cool pictures - nice job.

Matt

danb
Mar-06-2009, 5:06am
Hi Dan,

Just to be clear.
Did the original Loars have compensated nuts or is this a 'modification' which Jamie has made?
Otherwise, do we assume that the original Loars had some intonation problems?

How are you, BTW?

Dagger

No sir, the Loars did not have the compensated nut. I've also got flush-inlaid wire instead of frets on my extension, but I did stay with a flat board and no scoop! Doing nicely over here, thanks

Bob DeVellis
Mar-06-2009, 10:42am
Dan: Great article. Congrats! The mandolin isn't too shabby, either!

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-08-2009, 2:06am
The nut compensation is a similar thing to what Geoff Stelling has had on his Banjos almost from day one. On a Banjo ( i'm talking 5-string here),the 2nd,B string,is notoriously hard to tune perfectly to the 3rd,G string & the 1st D string. What Geoff did was to compensate all 3 strings as much as he could at the nut,as most 5 string Banjo bridges are too thin for any regular compensation such as we have on Mandolins. I think the additional nut compensation is a great idea - as for the Mandolin in total - WOW !!!!!!!!!,
Saska :mandosmiley:

ShaneJ
Mar-08-2009, 2:53pm
What a beautiful mandolin! Congrats, Dan.