PDA

View Full Version : Final Decision..... Almost

Mandolin
Mar-02-2009, 3:56pm
I think I'm going to get a Collings... MF5.. Maybe? What do you guys think. Unbiased opinion please?

Mike Bunting
Mar-02-2009, 4:04pm
I think you should buy a Gibson Loar, I think there's one at Gruhns.

Mandolin
Mar-02-2009, 4:05pm
Do you know how much insurance would be on that!!!!!!!! haha jk.

Jim DeSalvio
Mar-02-2009, 4:16pm
I think you will be getting a first rate instrument, that will provide a lifetime of playing pleasure. I wish I had the skill to justify that kind of purchase.

Your instrument should be perfect in terms of construction and finish. Some like to polk fun at Collings for their perfection, but to me, you buy with confidence. No guarantee it will be a tone monster, but chances are good it will be.

I had a brief experience with a higher end model from another brand mentioned here often, and it did not turn out well. That one went back. For now, I am content to play my Eastman F. The Collings MF5 is a beautiful instrument. I say.....go for it!

Mandolin
Mar-02-2009, 4:20pm
Does collings do custom options?

Michael Ramsey
Mar-02-2009, 4:23pm
I agree withe the above poster but I'll add that you should try several of them before making a decision. There's good and then really good instruments in all brands. I would not buy one through an internet store. I'd consider buying one from an individual who would allow you to ship it back if it didn't meet your approval within a 48 hour approval window (such is the case with most sellers via the classifieds here).

Good luck.

Chuck Naill
Mar-02-2009, 4:26pm
I think I'm going to get a Collings... MF5.. Maybe? What do you guys think. Unbiased opinion please?

For that amount of money, I would have to find a custom builder and get something very special, especially if you plan on keeping it forever. You will never regret playing music on something a friend made just for you.

chuck:)

Mandolin
Mar-02-2009, 4:30pm
I'm talking about buying new through collings.

allenhopkins
Mar-02-2009, 4:34pm
What do you guys think. Unbiased opinion please?

"Unbiased" is one thing you won't get. Collings owners who post seem uniformly very positive on their mandolins. Those who are less positive on Collingses seem to prefer a different sound, but even they praise C's quality, consistency and playability.

I do, however, second the motion that you should play a variety of instruments in your price range, including several Collingses if you have access to them. The variations among individual instruments sometimes eclipse the variations between manufacturers.

Mandolin
Mar-02-2009, 4:38pm
I know this. What do you think about their instruments allen, I have respect for your knowlege and experience with instruments. Would you buy one?

Mike Bunting
Mar-02-2009, 4:47pm
If you check my sig line, you'll see that I can't be unbiased. I think the MF5 is pretty good.

Mandolin
Mar-02-2009, 4:49pm
Well you bought it for a reason didn't you? You were unbiased when you bought it weren't you?

Chuck Naill
Mar-02-2009, 5:11pm
Well you bought it for a reason didn't you? You were unbiased when you bought it weren't you?

Nobody is unbiased except for the novice that does not have enough information to form an opinion.

If you truly want to be unbiased then have someone play three or four mandolins with you blind folded then let you play them blind folded and buy based on playability and tone. If it turns out to be the Eastman, be happy.:cool:

chuck:)

Mandolin
Mar-02-2009, 5:14pm
I'm worried they are gonna stick a Gilchrist and a Dudenbostel or a Nugget in there. "I'll buy it!"

Mike Bunting
Mar-02-2009, 5:28pm
I was totally biased towards it when I bought it, that's why I bought it!

sunburst
Mar-02-2009, 5:28pm
My opinion, as unbiased as I can make it;
Collings mandolins are as high quality as you'll find in a manufactured instrument.

My real opinion, admittedly biased, step up from a manufactured instrument and support your local luthier!

Chuck Naill
Mar-02-2009, 5:31pm
I'm worried they are gonna stick a Gilchrist and a Dudenbostel or a Nugget in there. "I'll buy it!"

From what I hear, they would not have those brands.

However, you could ask if they have more than one of the model you are interested in plus others in that price range. If you have the nerve, ask them to slip in an Eastman. This could really help you make a good decision that you could look back on a feel good about.

Whatever you do, buy the one that you happy with at that moment in time. Having them leave the old strings on it. This will tell you better about how the box resonates. Use different picks. Do not buy something you are expecting to "open up" later.

If you order on-line, make sure you can return it if it is not what you like, no questions asked, period.

chuck

allenhopkins
Mar-02-2009, 5:37pm
I know this. What do you think about their instruments allen, I have respect for your knowlege and experience with instruments. Would you buy one?

Probably not, but not because they're not wonderful mandolins. I have a weakness for old instruments, and I really have the mandolins I want: a century-old 3-point F-2, a half-century-old F-5, and a quarter-century-old Army-Navy Custom. Plus three mandolas, two mandocellos, two octave mandolins (if you count the Octofone), two resonator mandolins (Dobro and National), and a few oddities on the side.

Were I starting out, instead of having a 40-year accumulation, Collings would be at the top of my list for consideration. For right now, I'm just looking for a vintage bowl-back mandocello...

man dough nollij
Mar-02-2009, 7:47pm
My real opinion, admittedly biased, step up from a manufactured instrument and support your local luthier!

Ditto! (Even if you live in Austin...)

Mandolin
Mar-02-2009, 7:54pm
I couldn't agree more. I PMed John Hamlett on the reason why I can't go with a small builder. Hopefully he understands

Ken Olmstead
Mar-02-2009, 10:42pm
I couldn't agree more. I PMed John Hamlett on the reason why I can't go with a small builder. Hopefully he understands

I guess I am missing the reason you can't go with a small builder.

I am in the camp of the Collings fit, finish and playability are all there. I just never connected with the sound. In all fairness, I have only heard them new. I have never played one that had been played in to hear how it matures. It is red spruce after all. However, they are very nice instruments and I bet you would love it to death! :)

Chris Biorkman
Mar-02-2009, 11:00pm
There's a pretty sweet looking one year old varnish MF5 in the classifieds that appears to be in excellent condition. Custom color too and for only $300 more than a regular lacquer MF5. I'd take a good look at that if I were you. No financial interest.