PDA

View Full Version : Ratliff, Oh my!

kirkwhitehead
Mar-01-2009, 8:53pm
Some of you may recall my questions regarding A9's. Well after trying one I decided that I am not a Gibson guy. So I kept looking, low and behold a sponsor here had a Ratliff RA5 for sale. Well I call Audey and spoke to him for 45 minutes or so. I thought it might be worth a look. So it got here friday and I have a hard time putting it down.

Here's a couple pics and then I will gush about it a bit.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/kirkw101/S6301370.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb98/kirkw101/S6301371.jpg

kirkwhitehead
Mar-01-2009, 9:05pm
Okay, what a cool one pc. back! great neck shape, v'ish and really comfortable. It has a flat board and is bound on all edges. The sponsor sent it with some funky strings on it so I put on TI heavies right away. Man OH man. This thing makes ME sound like I have some skill (which I don't). It is even across all the strings. The Gibson I played was very low, too low for me, and it covered the A and E. I wanted to look at a Collings but I have read they are more E and A and not so much D and G.

So I was really happy when the strings settled in and I got a good listen to it. Nice and even. Nobody getting in the way. So my three finger D chop,, honest to goodness is the loudest chop I have ever made. I thought I broke something it is so loud. Sure I can tickle the strings and it's soft and sweet but if I want it, its in there. I am comparing this mandolin to a Breedlove, Eastman,The Loar, 805 and 855 Kentucky and a Micheal Kelly.

If someone is looking for a really nice USA mandolin, try a Ratliff. It might not be your thing, but it might.

kirk

Michael Cameron
Mar-01-2009, 9:53pm
I have played a Ratliff RA5 that I thought was exceptionally great. Luckily my best pickin bud owns it;so,I can play it from time to time.

kirkwhitehead
Mar-01-2009, 9:57pm
Looking at all the 1000ish A models I thought this one looked the best. Wood,bindings and all that. Now after playing it, I really think I got a deal. More than likley I will still get a Collings just to try. But Audey really bulids nice stuff. Mine is from 2000, so it has some bumps and such but I love that stuff.

kirk

Michael Cameron
Mar-01-2009, 10:04pm
I didn't know it had wood bindings. Nice.

Yep. A few bumps and dings is fine with me.

Fretbear
Mar-01-2009, 10:42pm
Looks like a real nice player's mandolin, congrats; I am also obsessed with that high to low evenness across the spectrum, and when a instrument has it, you want to hold onto it. Looks like yours has been well-played and broken-in as well which helps with that alot.

Kevin Briggs
Mar-01-2009, 10:48pm
Great!

kirkwhitehead
Mar-01-2009, 11:29pm
Michael, I meant it had nice wood and it is fully bound. Audey told me that it is red spruce or it is sitka cut from a log in Alaska that was used as a salmon trap 30+ years ago. That sitka log was over 6' tall while laying on its side. I emailed pictures of the top to Audey to see if he can id it.

compared to many guitar tops I have seen I don't think it is sitka.

kirk