PDA

View Full Version : Mike Marshall trio concert

Sonomabob
Mar-01-2009, 4:15pm
Attended the Mike Marshall big trio concert in Petaluma Saturday evening.
With Alex Hargreaves & Paul Kowert.
Small venue at a local church. Great acoustics so no mics needed. The sound was wonderful.

Danilo Brito and Colin Walker played choros to open the show and Mike joined them for some amazing stuff.

Then the trio played a set. Wonderful young talent. Very competent and in control. They are going to the upper midwest next week. See them if you can.

David Grisman was in the audience and stepped up to join the whole gang for a couple of encores. Again just amazing. 3 concerts for the price of 1.
Really seems like a golden age for Mandolins here in the North Bay.

Bob

groveland
Mar-01-2009, 4:48pm
I know some of us are going to see him up here on Friday... it's good to get the good report. Not that I doubted for a moment that it would be a treat! The lineup has expanded over the last couple months, and they have Peter O. doing a set, too.

As for Golden Age, I don't know. Rock guitar may have seen its Golden Age, and witness the circus that has become over the years! With mandolin family instruments it's still like we're all in on some big secret, allowing the art to mature in a more dignified way, I think. Here's to a Golden Age characterized by quality, class and decorum. :popcorn:

Nick Royal
Mar-01-2009, 4:54pm
I would agree that we are in a golden age of sorts for the mandolin. Last night I heard Matt Flinner and Scott Nygaard in a wonderful house concert. Great work on both these instruments by Matt and Scott.

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-01-2009, 6:48pm
I would agree that we are in a golden age of sorts for the mandolin. Last night I heard Matt Flinner and Scott Nygaard in a wonderful house concert. Great work on both these instruments by Matt and Scott.

Holy Smoke! I bet that was some awesome music!

Daniel

Maria
Mar-03-2009, 5:27pm
Big Trio has four more shows this week. Tonight at the Ark in Ann Arbor, Thursday in Madison, Friday at the Cedar in Minneapolis, and Saturday at Northwestern University in the Chicago area, for Mando Magnificat (which will be webcast).

mandopete
Mar-03-2009, 6:48pm
Just picked up the Big Trio CD over at CD Baby (they're back in stock).

Do not miss this concert.

You have been notified.

tango_grass
Mar-03-2009, 6:52pm
I'm drinking the Kool-aid on the new Trio for amazement too. Them kids sure can play. Saw em at WIntergrass, so I can tell you, if you've got the chance to see them, go for it!

Of course, since all the projects Mike has is hand in are so unbelievably amazing, they all kinda cancel each other out right?? :whistling:
:mandosmiley:

SternART
Mar-03-2009, 7:51pm
Ditto from the show at the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley. Freakin' awesome!!!
They did a "big" band version of Gator Strut for one of the encores, that was a
version for the ages. Choro Famoso, Brito & the Trio all up there. Danilo & Mike
playing off each other, the Monty mandocello was HUGE leading the band.....then
a final encore, a Jacob de Bandolim tune that was dueling mandos.....I'm not sure
who won, it was more a team event......mando fireworks for sure. The Trio featuring
Mike's newer compositions was the highlight for me. Those younger fellas can play way
beyond their age.

Ken_P
Mar-03-2009, 8:17pm
Sadly haven't seen the Trio live, but have listened to the CD several times since I got it this weekend. Really top notch playing, of course, and great compositions and arrangements. I think we're entering into a really exciting time in acoustic music, with a new generation firmly taking hold, and the veterans pushing them along.

Maria
Mar-03-2009, 10:22pm
http://mandolincafe.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=1762

Maria
Mar-03-2009, 10:26pm
http://mandolincafe.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=233&pictureid=1761

SternART
Mar-04-2009, 11:14am
Great shots Maria! Color came out fabulous on those Freight shots.
The first one looks like it was taken during Gator Strut. Mike looks
so happy in both.......musical bliss!!

Maria
Mar-04-2009, 1:20pm
Great shots Maria! Color came out fabulous on those Freight shots.
The first one looks like it was taken during Gator Strut. Mike looks
so happy in both.......musical bliss!!

Thanks, Art! Yep, that was Gator Strut. What a show, huh? These guys also tore it up at Wintergrass. You should have seen the huge choro jam that went on until the wee hours. Reminded me of the symposium, only there were fiddles, cellos, guitars... It was incredible. A choro jam at a bluegrass festival. That had to be a first. Kudos to Ruffo and Patrice.

kjell
Mar-04-2009, 9:44pm
Can't tell you all how existentially torn I am between a weekend up in northern Minnesota and skipping it to stay home for the trio's show with Caterina Lichtenberg and Peter Oustroushko friday night. Missing out on either will break my heart. Why oh why do they have to fall on the same weekend?