PDA

View Full Version : First Mandolin

Jritter3
Feb-28-2009, 10:53am
Im fairly new to the whole message board here, but have found al the information that is available here extremely useful. I have been working on #1 from an IV kit for some time now and finally got it finished. So, as promised here are some pictures.

I felt it was worth it to upgrade a few parts on the kit so I got myself some Elite tuners, a bone nut, and an ebony bridge to replace the ones that came with the kit. I am surprised at how much of a difference those parts made in the sound, which is very loud and warm.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the result, and i found the process of building your own instrument to be extremely enjoyable...a process that I am already thinking of repeating. Any ideas? I want to start with another kit. I am thinking of one from stewmac; are they much harder than the IV kits?:mandosmiley:

MikeEdgerton
Feb-28-2009, 11:03am
Nice Job. The Stewmac kits are not as pre-assembled as the IV kit. It will entail more work.

JEStanek
Feb-28-2009, 11:04am
Great looking first mandolin, Jritter3.

Jamie

violin2233
Mar-04-2009, 9:41am
Very cool! great Job.. Maybe try a F model kit from IV.... That is a little more challenging

If you need help with those frets call me or email me!

D18dave
Mar-04-2009, 1:24pm
Great job !

Pete Counter
Mar-05-2009, 1:02pm
That looks great, the only thing I would do differnt If I did an IV kit like this (and I do want to) is I would have to change that fretboard. I dont care for that white binding, squared off look. I always prefer an abreviated extention. But that is a great job, I hope my first comes out that well.

Denny Gies
Mar-05-2009, 1:45pm
Very nice, I like the finish and the color.

timv
Mar-09-2009, 11:48pm
Terrific job! I'm inspired by your success. Best of luck with your next project--I'm sure it'll turn out at least as well if not better.