PDA

View Full Version : What to buy?

Bud Barnwell
Feb-27-2009, 10:30pm
I looking for another mandolin. I've listened to several. What is the opinions about a Weber verses a Collings. How about the wider nut. Does it play better? Also, is there really any difference between an A model in tone to F5? I got a Fender F5 after giving up 8 years ago. It has very small frets. I like the bigger frets.

pjlama
Feb-27-2009, 10:51pm
Not a huge difference between an A and an F. THe wide nut is mostly unnecessary but favored by folks coming from guitar. Between Weber and Collings I prefer the Collings, in my experience they are more consistent in tone and all have good volume.

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-27-2009, 10:58pm
Weber and Collings are great but I am a Collings man.

JEStanek
Feb-27-2009, 11:06pm
teleman4200, Welcome to the Mandolin Café.

I would suggest, if your making a step up from a Fender F5 to either a Weber or a Collings, for the kind of money involved, you should get your hands on both and test them out. Both companies make some excellent instruments but I wouldn't make a purchase like that without some hands on time on some of each. Tone is subjective, playability is very personal, money is finite. Enjoy the hunt.

Jamie

pjlama
Feb-28-2009, 12:03am
Good advice Jamie.

Carlo Carr
Feb-28-2009, 12:20am
Try as many mandolins as you can get your hands on. Figure out what you like and what best fits the style of music you play. Having figured that out, get as much money together as you can, and buy the best you can afford! Don't be afraid to buy a used mandolin - just make sure there are no structural issues. If you don't know how to spot structural issues, then have a luthier or some other knowlegeable person check out your prospective purchase. Good luck!

Regards,

Charlie Carr
New Orleans
(Self Proclaimed "9th best mandolin player in New Orleans"!)
(There are only 9 mandolin players in New Orleans.)

Bud Barnwell
Feb-28-2009, 4:26pm
Boy ! That's a lot of good information. Thanks alot! Before I quit playing 8 years ago, I had a 1973 F-5 Gibson. It was ripped off along with a Tiny Moore 5 string,1963 Fender Mandocaster,1961 Fender Strat,Martin D-18V. I had Jumbo frets put on it and really it's the best I've ever owned. I had a Flatiron A model after that. It was ok but I think I was still depressed about the Gibson. I will try to locate something to play but here in these West Texas sandhills they're are few and far between.